Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Let's see your sharpening stones/gear!

SAK Guy · 210 · 10642

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Let's see your sharpening stones/gear!
Reply #60 on: July 20, 2016, 06:33:24 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Plus a few other DMT's.

Another great setup!!!!  Brock, how big a big a blade can you sharpen on that rig, 8", 10"?

Thanks SAK Guy. The largest knife I've sharpened on the Edge Pro is our chef's knife, which is around 10". It is probably the practical limit, but in theory the EP can handle any length blade.

These days I often sharpen freehand using a DMT diasharp benchstone, DMT diafolds or the EP stones.

:cheers: Looking at reviews, the DMT stones look great...if I ever upgrade my Smiths, those are my choice!  :salute:

I have several DMT stones (a whole set of the 6 inch dia sharp ones) and they are really nice and work rather well :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #61 on: July 20, 2016, 06:33:52 PM
New page banana man dance

:nanadance:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #62 on: July 20, 2016, 06:34:27 PM
I have quite a few different ones that I use.

Lansky 3 stone kit with added S1000 Ultra fine stone.
Lansky 4 rod turn box.
DMT Aligner kit with the standard three stones (course, fine and x-fine stones) and added x-course stone.
Worksharp Field Sharpener.
and two sets of the Spyderco 701MF profile set as well as a Sharpmaker with stock med and fine rods.

Hey Mike are the 701 MF about the same as using the triangle stones of the Sharpmaker free hand :think:

I would say they maybe similar but the 701's will lay flat and they are longer so to me they are easier to use.

Thanks :cheers: I have eyeballed those since Kwakster had a set way back when on here :cheers:

If you can find a set or two, it is worth having but they have been discontinued for quite some time now!  :)

I didn't know that :-\ Thanks for the heads up :tu:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #63 on: July 20, 2016, 07:05:37 PM

Plus a few other DMT's.

Another great setup!!!!  Brock, how big a big a blade can you sharpen on that rig, 8", 10"?

Thanks SAK Guy. The largest knife I've sharpened on the Edge Pro is our chef's knife, which is around 10". It is probably the practical limit, but in theory the EP can handle any length blade.

These days I often sharpen freehand using a DMT diasharp benchstone, DMT diafolds or the EP stones.

:cheers: Looking at reviews, the DMT stones look great...if I ever upgrade my Smiths, those are my choice!  :salute:

I have several DMT stones (a whole set of the 6 inch dia sharp ones) and they are really nice and work rather well :cheers:

Thanks Ponch!!! More confirmation on their quality!  :cheers: :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #64 on: July 21, 2016, 04:43:46 AM
I am almost ashamed at how much sharpening stuff I have :facepalm: Almost but not completely :D I am sure this isn't even all of it but it's what I could find quickly for the pic :tu:

Also some strops :cheers:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #65 on: July 21, 2016, 05:26:36 AM
Great selection!!!! Which do you like best for say, SAKs vs fixed blades. You look like you have some field stuff too! :2tu:  Most of my sharpeners can be used in a camping situation as well. I'm weird like that and that probably prevents me from getting a technically perfect edge.  Free handed sharpening is so skill dependent that it's very sensitive to my health and mood. Sometimes I can get a screaming sharp edge in 5 min and other days it takes hours, if at all. Realistically, it's a very poor way for a guy with variable health to make edges.  :facepalm:  But on a good day, I can "feel" the right angle, the right pressure and even hear the right sound as the steel moves across the stone.  It's weird.

You reminded me that I have a strop pad/paddle that I have to find.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 05:44:26 AM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #66 on: July 21, 2016, 05:40:43 AM
Great selection!!!! Which do you like best for say, SAKs vs fixed blades. Yu look like you have some field stuff too! :2tu:  Most of my stuff can be used in a camping situation as well. I'm weird like that. 

I use the DMT diamond stones more than anything for sharpening at home for my fixed blades and SAKs/MTs :cheers:  I carry the Bucktek sharpener in the extra pocket of my phone case for on the go :tu: I use the sharpmaker for kitchen knives and occasionally use the stones by themselves to freehand a little as well on SAKs ;) The Lansky gets used the least I guess :-\ I like the results but it is a bit more fiddly than I like :D I am back and forth on using strops and wished I did more because it takes way less material than sharpening does.  Until I started carrying the Bucktek (which is double sided BTW)  I always carried the DMT credit card sharpeners in all three grits in that phone case pocket :tu: I also like the Eze-lap cards as well and I think I have a couple more different types of those as well but couldn't find them.  I have a Lansky puck, the stone file from them and a couple cheap 6 inch double sided diamond stones I use for outside implements (non of it is pictured because it is outside) :whistle: I have multiple files for different things as well (like for chisels and saws) :cheers: I just like sharpening as you can tell ;)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #67 on: July 21, 2016, 05:42:58 AM
Great selection!!!! Which do you like best for say, SAKs vs fixed blades. Yu look like you have some field stuff too! :2tu:  Most of my sharpeners can be used in a camping situation as well. I'm weird like that and that probably prevents me from getting a technically perfect edge.  Free handed sharpening is so skill dependent that it's very sensitive to my health and mood. Sometimes I can get a screaming sharp edge in 5 min and other days it takes hours, if at all. Realistically, it's a very poor way for a guy with variable health to make edges.  :facepalm:  But on a good day, I can "feel" the right angle, the right pressure and even hear the right sound as the steel moves across the stone.  It's weird.

Freehand takes practice and with you RA I bet it is quite challenging :facepalm: You can feel and hear it if you are getting it right though :tu:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #68 on: July 21, 2016, 05:48:28 AM
Great selection!!!! Which do you like best for say, SAKs vs fixed blades. Yu look like you have some field stuff too! :2tu:  Most of my stuff can be used in a camping situation as well. I'm weird like that. 

I use the DMT diamond stones more than anything for sharpening at home for my fixed blades and SAKs/MTs :cheers:  I carry the Bucktek sharpener in the extra pocket of my phone case for on the go :tu: I use the sharpmaker for kitchen knives and occasionally use the stones by themselves to freehand a little as well on SAKs ;) The Lansky gets used the least I guess :-\ I like the results but it is a bit more fiddly than I like :D I am back and forth on using strops and wished I did more because it takes way less material than sharpening does.  Until I started carrying the Bucktek (which is double sided BTW)  I always carried the DMT credit card sharpeners in all three grits in that phone case pocket :tu: I also like the Eze-lap cards as well and I think I have a couple more different types of those as well but couldn't find them.  I have a Lansky puck, the stone file from them and a couple cheap 6 inch double sided diamond stones I use for outside implements (non of it is pictured because it is outside) :whistle: I have multiple files for different things as well (like for chisels and saws) :cheers: I just like sharpening as you can tell ;)

Glad it's not just me!!!  I carry a pocket stone or a diamond rod with me for a 15 minute drive to the gas station....I might, er, need it for something.  :facepalm:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #69 on: July 21, 2016, 05:52:32 AM
Great selection!!!! Which do you like best for say, SAKs vs fixed blades. Yu look like you have some field stuff too! :2tu:  Most of my sharpeners can be used in a camping situation as well. I'm weird like that and that probably prevents me from getting a technically perfect edge.  Free handed sharpening is so skill dependent that it's very sensitive to my health and mood. Sometimes I can get a screaming sharp edge in 5 min and other days it takes hours, if at all. Realistically, it's a very poor way for a guy with variable health to make edges.  :facepalm:  But on a good day, I can "feel" the right angle, the right pressure and even hear the right sound as the steel moves across the stone.  It's weird.

Freehand takes practice and with you RA I bet it is quite challenging :facepalm: You can feel and hear it if you are getting it right though :tu:

I know that there will be point when I can't do it well or at all.  I've looked at the Razor Edge guide which still lets me use my regular stones and requires minimal set up as a future option.

https://www.razoredgesystems.com/

It's cheap too.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #70 on: July 21, 2016, 04:12:25 PM

I know that there will be point when I can't do it well or at all.  I've looked at the Razor Edge guide which still lets me use my regular stones and requires minimal set up as a future option.

It's cheap too.

Looks like that may work for you :cheers: If you do get it let us know your thoughts on it :tu:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #71 on: July 21, 2016, 05:47:14 PM

It's cheap too.

Looks like that may work for you :cheers: If you do get it let us know your thoughts on it :tu:

I will!!!  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #72 on: August 06, 2016, 06:32:35 PM
Bump with a pic!

Used the DC-521 this morning with the new Mora Garberg!!! Worked great! A few lics on each side and the secondary bevel was ready to go!!

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: August 06, 2016, 09:48:14 PM
I have several types of knife sharpeners but for everyday use I prefer the Smith's Micro-Tool sharpening pad in medium and coarse grit for doing stainless steel knives. I also have a Smith's diamond tapered rod for doing serrated knives and fish hooks. For doing carbon steel knives I have a very large (2 -1/2" x 12") Carborundum Duo Stone which is a platform with a rotating stone(fine and coarse).When I bought it it was filled with lard oil that I spilled all over the place(it STILL stinks).Vleaned it up and use it dry now.
For razors I have not only stones but several gimmicky devices for sharpening single and double edge blades and one for sharpening straight razors.
Carborundum Duo-Stone No.92 002.jpg
* Carborundum Duo-Stone No.92 002.jpg (Filesize: 55.05 KB)
ApexKnifeSharpener-BottleOpener-GlassCutterNP 001.jpg
* ApexKnifeSharpener-BottleOpener-GlassCutterNP 001.jpg (Filesize: 44.23 KB)
KrissKrossSharpener 002.jpg
* KrissKrossSharpener 002.jpg (Filesize: 51.32 KB)
MLBrandt3.jpg
* MLBrandt3.jpg (Filesize: 62.18 KB)

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #74 on: August 07, 2016, 12:14:07 AM
:tu:  Looks like you've got a system....which is good considering the size your knife collection!!!  :D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #75 on: August 07, 2016, 09:56:00 PM

Most of my steels

Everything’s adjustable

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #76 on: August 08, 2016, 01:18:01 AM
Those are awesome Sparky!!!!!!  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #77 on: August 08, 2016, 04:00:25 AM
:tu:  Looks like you've got a system....which is good considering the size your knife collection!!!  :D

Yeah he needs an awesome system with all those awesome knives :o :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #78 on: August 08, 2016, 04:00:45 AM

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #79 on: August 14, 2016, 10:56:39 PM
The DMT's get the most use.
knife sharpeners 004.JPG
* knife sharpeners 004.JPG (Filesize: 59.88 KB)
knife sharpeners 007.JPG
* knife sharpeners 007.JPG (Filesize: 51.54 KB)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #80 on: August 14, 2016, 11:06:06 PM
Those are awesome David!!!!!!  :cheers:  How big is that big DMT!!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #81 on: August 14, 2016, 11:30:00 PM
SG, that big DMT is a DMT W250EF-WB 10"x4" DuoSharp® Bench Stone - Extra-Fine/Fine w/Base. I like it very much!
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #82 on: August 14, 2016, 11:45:51 PM
SG, that big DMT is a DMT W250EF-WB 10"x4" DuoSharp® Bench Stone - Extra-Fine/Fine w/Base. I like it very much!

Thank you!!!  It looks very nice!!!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #83 on: August 20, 2016, 04:48:50 PM
I found this two red and blue pocket sharpeners at a LIDL on sale the other month

They are two diamond rods, one tapered and one straight (with a hook sharpenes, a grooved line in it), very coarse, but do the job quite well, I've carried them these holidays as a standalone sharpening gear, and worked just fine

Same as the Schrade pocket diamond sharpener but got the two for less than the Schrade alone costs
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #84 on: August 20, 2016, 07:44:30 PM

Thank you!!!  It looks very nice!!!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Wow that is a nice DMT David :o :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #85 on: August 20, 2016, 07:46:13 PM
I found this two red and blue pocket sharpeners at a LIDL on sale the other month

They are two diamond rods, one tapered and one straight (with a hook sharpenes, a grooved line in it), very coarse, but do the job quite well, I've carried them these holidays as a standalone sharpening gear, and worked just fine

Same as the Schrade pocket diamond sharpener but got the two for less than the Schrade alone costs

The diamond rods are always great for travel as they take up hardly any space :cheers: and as much as you carry serrated blades they help keep those sharp as well

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #86 on: August 21, 2016, 12:23:57 AM

That's an awesome kit buddy!!!! :cheers:  :like:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #87 on: August 21, 2016, 12:59:38 AM
A quick pic of my odds and ends, older gear and sentimental favorites!  The 2 stones on the right were given to me by my Dad.

also shown Old Timer Honesteel, Gerber Sportsman Steels, Duofolds etc.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #88 on: August 21, 2016, 01:19:30 AM
 :like:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #89 on: August 21, 2016, 02:20:32 AM
Thanks Steve!!!! :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99