Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Theme bugs

Whoey · 149 · 7420

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
New Theme bugs
on: July 14, 2016, 05:25:49 PM
We realize that in spite of a lot of work done before launch there is still some tweaking to be done for various devices.

Please let me know of issues you encounter here.

Enjoy the new look!
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: New Theme bugs
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 05:35:23 PM
Is there a way to auto-detect mobile users, and adjust what the forum displays accordingly? Clicking "reply" significantly slows my phone (Samsung galaxy s3) down, I suspect because of all the smileys. Ca they be hidden by default, and have a specal button that will open them in a new window? (Similar to how the "More" buttom works?)

Also, avatars are taking up a disproportionate amount of space, leavin little room for posts.

Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 05:42:29 PM
It does resize and hide a lot of things by default on mobile devices.

I see your phone is 360x640 I haven't gotten all tweaking done, especially at low resolutions like that, all the devices I tested on where higher than that...

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 05:46:12 PM
using chrome, windows 8
can you have less space between the various lines of text in the thread?  (it seems to have double spacing instead of single between lines)

it just spreads everything more, making a post longer and harder to read.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 05:48:36 PM
A lot of wasted space on the left of the screen, the avatar takes up a 1/4 of the screen on my computer . Did we lose the like button and also ranking / post count on the avatar.

Will we get the click for larger picture feature back ?

:cheers:

This will definitely take some getting used to.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 05:53:34 PM

I see your phone is 360x640 I haven't gotten all tweaking done, especially at low resolutions like that, all the devices I tested on where higher than that...
Yeah, I know its old (how sad is that? 4 years old and its obsolete). I like seeing the avatars, but there is just way too much space being taken up. The spacing  between lines is pretty large too.

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 05:57:33 PM
I would lose the Rambo knife from the edged forums menu. It looks like an invitation to get this site blocked from many places

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 05:58:01 PM
Not a bug, but a theme formatting suggesting. For thread listings like on this page, probably a bit better to run the border-bottom: 1px dotted #bbb; code that is on post_container in the CSS on bwgrid instead for each post. It would help more to separate the posts, more like what you see on this page separating sub forum areas: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?action=forum.

Currently viewing this on Chrome in Windows 10.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 06:08:04 PM

Yeah, I know its old (how sad is that? 4 years old and its obsolete). I like seeing the avatars, but there is just way too much space being taken up. The spacing  between lines is pretty large too.
my phone is also 4 years old... yet it's 768x1280

I would lose the Rambo knife from the edged forums menu. It looks like an invitation to get this site blocked from many places
Actually we can customize for each subsection with this new theme very easily. I'd like to get the mods to run some comps or something for new icons to save me some legwork  :pok:

Not a bug, but a theme formatting suggesting. For thread listings like on this page, probably a bit better to run the border-bottom: 1px dotted #bbb; code that is on post_container in the CSS on bwgrid instead for each post. It would help more to separate the posts, more like what you see on this page separating sub forum areas: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?action=forum.

I know... there's so many little things like that I glossed over while drooling at how fast it is on everything... partially due to a lack of formatting in some areas like that and PMs. noted.

A lot of wasted space on the left of the screen, the avatar takes up a 1/4 of the screen on my computer . Did we lose the like button and also ranking / post count on the avatar.

Will we get the click for larger picture feature back ?

:cheers:

This will definitely take some getting used to.
uh... what resolution are you running on your computer for it to be 1/4 of your screen...

Sadly the "like" mod and the new theme do not get along.

click the person's avatar for a bunch of profile stuff that's hidden (part of being more mobile friendly is not having all the info visible for each profile on every post) add that the more we show, the less real estate available for posts...

Click for larger pic was breaking the automatic resizing on mobile devices since it was fixed width. Maybe in the future.

using chrome, windows 8
can you have less space between the various lines of text in the thread?  (it seems to have double spacing instead of single between lines)

it just spreads everything more, making a post longer and harder to read.
I am seeing double line breaks for each line return, I'll have to track that one down...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 06:09:50 PM by Whoey »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 06:10:03 PM
so, no more likes.... all this time I spent being nice to people, for nothing....   :facepalm:

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 06:17:40 PM
Edit: deleted most of my comments as they were already discussed before I posted!

I do think there is value in displaying post count and post ranking though.  It's good to know who the "tribal elders" are.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 06:24:10 PM by shibafu »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 06:18:49 PM
What about the search box, no more search the forum with Google?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 06:20:36 PM
Oh and what's the little circle with the note button on the right above the post?
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 06:21:00 PM
1440x900-60HZ. Here's a screen shot

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 06:23:56 PM
Anyone else think that the white background is a bit hard on the eyes ?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 06:28:08 PM
JR

Search is in the right top corner on desktop and right below the MTO logo on mobile.

Oh and what's the little circle with the note button on the right above the post?
JR

Modify post icon. It stays there for you for the 3,5 hours you have to modify your post.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 06:28:48 PM
Edit: deleted most of my comments as they were already discussed before I posted!

I do think there is value in displaying post count and post ranking though.  It's good to know who the "tribal elders" are.

Just click on the avatar/profile picture and you'll see it.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 06:49:06 PM
What about the "Likes" ?

And the quick reply button at the bottom doesn't work on my browser.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 06:50:27 PM

I know... there's so many little things like that I glossed over while drooling at how fast it is on everything... partially due to a lack of formatting in some areas like that and PMs. noted.

Yeah. That's the problem with minimalist design themes. Sometimes they go a little too far and eliminate from consideration some common genre design elements that increase readability.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: July 14, 2016, 06:53:48 PM
JR

Search is in the right top corner on desktop and right below the MTO logo on mobile.

JR

Modify post icon. It stays there for you for the 3,5 hours you have to modify your post.
Yeah but before it had in the search if you wanted to just search this topic, or the entire forum, or search the entire forum with Google, which allowed you to hit just pics and when you were after that specific one made it very easy!
JR

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: July 14, 2016, 06:55:37 PM
What about the "Likes" ?

You can't reply or it isn't there? It the 2nd, just go to your profile/look and layout and switch it on.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: July 14, 2016, 06:58:40 PM
JR

JR

Yeah but before it had in the search if you wanted to just search this topic, or the entire forum, or search the entire forum with Google, which allowed you to hit just pics and when you were after that specific one made it very easy!
JR

This?

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?action=search

It's still there, top menu, Main/Help/Search

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #22 on: July 14, 2016, 07:03:42 PM
so, no more likes.... all this time I spent being nice to people, for nothing....   :facepalm:

i like that post

It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 07:06:36 PM

i like that post

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: July 14, 2016, 07:09:10 PM
What about the "Likes" ?

You can't reply or it isn't there? It the 2nd, just go to your profile/look and layout and switch it on.

It's there, but clicking it won't kick off the javascript command.  I'll go look in my profile and make sure it's on.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: July 14, 2016, 07:19:03 PM
JR

JR

JR

This?

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?action=search

It's still there, top menu, Main/Help/Search
Nope, it used to be in the box up top, and it gave you the option
JR

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #26 on: July 14, 2016, 07:59:26 PM
Is there a reason that when you select 'Replies' it does this?

its at 2560 x 1440

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: July 14, 2016, 08:11:31 PM
Last thing I noticed for now. Clicking the green "new post" indicator next to subforum names (such as General Tool Forum) does nothing, but clicking the indicator next to threads opens the threads. Can we make it so the indicator opens the subforum?

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: July 14, 2016, 08:18:49 PM
Another design suggestion when looking at the threads.

The signature/badge area is gray. Because of that, it has a good bit of contrast with the background of the page, and thus more emphasis than the actual post. So it draws the eye a lot. Typically it would be better to have the post have more emphasis, or at least, not have the badge/signature area stand out so much.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: July 14, 2016, 08:55:44 PM
Selectable search is a mod, it's on my todo list as it does not install cleanly on this theme due to it's custom nature therefore requires me to dig a little deeper to get it working.

Is there a reason that when you select 'Replies' it does this?

its at 2560 x 1440

(Image removed from quote.)
no idea, please send me your setup so I can further test it.  >:D I do not have this problem on 1920x1080

Last thing I noticed for now. Clicking the green "new post" indicator next to subforum names (such as General Tool Forum) does nothing, but clicking the indicator next to threads opens the threads. Can we make it so the indicator opens the subforum?
I know what you mean, but in the subforum case it's notifying you of new posts in several threads so perhaps it's encouragement to look at what the posts are... whereas on the threads themselves it jumps you to the first unread post of that thread. IMHO this is the same behaviour the old section icons had, but now we have a different section icon setup... so the green square is a fair trade off imho.

Another design suggestion when looking at the threads.

The signature/badge area is gray. Because of that, it has a good bit of contrast with the background of the page, and thus more emphasis than the actual post. So it draws the eye a lot. Typically it would be better to have the post have more emphasis, or at least, not have the badge/signature area stand out so much.
There's a number of these tweaks I need to look at. As is we launched a bit later than planned, so we did rush it out the door a bit. Also our starting point was far from perfect to begin with.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%