Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

old Wave coming

Guest · 13 · 1995

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
old Wave coming
on: September 13, 2008, 06:53:31 AM
Hi everyone, just letting you know I 've got an old style Wave coming. I know some of you say the new model is better, but I already have a Suge which does the bit exchanger thing. It should be with me by middle of next week, hope I like it.
Gabba gabba hey!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: old Wave coming
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 07:37:36 AM
Some here like the old style Wave better some like the new style better

I asked the forum which 1 would be better 4 me and they said to go with the new 1

That doesn't mean it is everyone's cup of tea though :D

As I said there are ppl on here that would take the old 1 over the new 1 :cheers:

I myself my get an old style someday just to see the difference ;)

So congratulations on the new Old style Wave you got coming :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 08:05:12 AM
It'll be interesting to see how much smaller and lighter it is than the Beast (Surge)  :D
Gabba gabba hey!!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 09:43:31 AM
I'd be tracking an old Wave if I hadn't heard such damning reviews of the handles twisting, pinching etc.

Anyway, As long as you serve nice pics when it arrives, I won't care if you get terrible, agonising blood blisters :)

us Offline EZ822

Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 11:53:04 AM
The only complaint I had with my old Wave is that the blades did not lock, otherwise it served me well for 5 years. I think you will like it just fine.
Erick

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 07:07:56 AM
I'd be tracking an old Wave if I hadn't heard such damning reviews of the handles twisting, pinching etc.

Anyway, As long as you serve nice pics when it arrives, I won't care if you get terrible, agonising blood blisters :)

I'll take photos of the blisters just for you Nomad  :multi:
Gabba gabba hey!!

Offline jdailey4206966

• America- Love it or leave it, but don't bleed it!!
Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 08:48:12 PM
I have heard of people sending in the old wave and getting the new one as replacement, but I guess they still got the old ones you just have to ask for them.
J

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 10:48:56 PM
One of the good things about the old style is the screwdriver blades,you can get into recessed screws a lot better!! :salute:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 11:00:03 PM
IMO if you want a user, you'll prefer the new Wave, it is an evolution of the original, and for me at least, improves it in just about every aspect.

If however, (and I suspect I'm right ;))you are building a collection Magic Bus, then the old Wave is essential. It represents a major milestone in Leatherman's thinking, by offering one-handed opening blades for the first time, but also making the tool more aesthetically appealing. It is an incredibly important tool in the evolution of the multi-tool.

If collecting is your aim, then that's the best way to do it I reckon:

Sideclip -> Kick
Super Tool -> Super Tool 200 -> Core
Old Wave -> New Wave
etc.

I hope you enjoy these things as much as we all do on here, and of course you have plenty of money because you are going to need it :D

I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 08:38:52 AM
You're right of course Dave. It seems I enjoy collecting multitools as well as using them  :) I have been aware of them for years, but only experienced them when my shop started stocking Gerbers. I found this site while doing a little research on the subject. They appeal to me because I am a practical person by nature, and would always prefer to fix something myself if possible, than pass it over to somebody else.
Gabba gabba hey!!

us Offline getpower

• More money, younger women, and older whiskey
Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 09:18:55 AM
Youll be really surprised at how much smaller and lighter a wave is than a surge.

I was really surprised at the difference between the charge XTi and the surge.

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 10:42:57 PM
Well, it's come! First impression is it's tiny, compared to a Surge  :) Overall condition is good, though there is a little damage to the wire cutters.. looks like someone didn't use the hard wire notch. Apart from that and a little rust things are good. The well documented flexy handles are present and correct too.... but I like the Old Wave despite it's obvious shortcomings. I'm not sure that the outside opening blades represent any advantage over the PST II for me though. Another one for the collection and each one is different!
Gabba gabba hey!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 10:44:30 PM
Well, it's come! First impression is it's tiny, compared to a Surge  :) Overall condition is good, though there is a little damage to the wire cutters.. looks like someone didn't use the hard wire notch. Apart from that and a little rust things are good. The well documented flexy handles are present and correct too.... but I like the Old Wave despite it's obvious shortcomings. I'm not sure that the outside opening blades represent any advantage over the PST II for me though. Another one for the collection and each one is different!
Glad you got it safe n sound mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44