Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAKs + other blades

ThePeacent · 2671 · 92983

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Re: SAKs + other blades
Reply #1080 on: October 24, 2017, 09:11:04 PM
My new Parang  Machete made by a friend from another board. Ready for yard work or slaying Zombies which ever comes first.
20171024_113021.jpg
* 20171024_113021.jpg (Filesize: 175.68 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #1081 on: October 26, 2017, 01:42:32 PM
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1082 on: October 27, 2017, 01:36:24 PM
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1083 on: October 28, 2017, 02:32:09 PM
My toys:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1084 on: October 29, 2017, 05:12:34 PM
My toys:

00 Offline WolfyW

Reply #1085 on: October 29, 2017, 06:35:17 PM
Some really nice knives in this thread, folks !

I have a question: I've never had a knife with bone scales but am considering my first. It would be a user, indoor and outdoor.
How have some of you found the durability re bone knife handles/scales ???
"The older I get, the better I was".

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1086 on: October 30, 2017, 01:51:29 PM

I have a question: I've never had a knife with bone scales but am considering my first. It would be a user, indoor and outdoor.

well I have almost no experience with bone scales, but I'm sure that the people at the "Edged Tools" sub forum will be able to help you a lot, or even ask the same question on the "Traditional Knives" thread, this one below:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,68477.8760.html

:salute:
My toys:

00 Offline WolfyW

Reply #1087 on: October 30, 2017, 04:31:00 PM

well I have almost no experience with bone scales, but I'm sure that the people at the "Edged Tools" sub forum will be able to help you a lot, or even ask the same question on the "Traditional Knives" thread, this one below:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,68477.8760.html

Thanks for the heads up.  Generally  I come straight here and don't think about other sub forums. I guess I don't get out much  ;)
"The older I get, the better I was".

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1088 on: October 31, 2017, 11:11:36 AM
My toys:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1089 on: October 31, 2017, 09:36:45 PM
My toys:

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #1090 on: November 01, 2017, 01:08:27 PM

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1091 on: November 01, 2017, 01:13:20 PM
My toys:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1092 on: November 03, 2017, 12:12:44 PM
My toys:

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #1093 on: November 04, 2017, 01:37:01 PM
DSC08849-hunters-33.jpg
* DSC08849-hunters-33.jpg (Filesize: 380.52 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1094 on: November 04, 2017, 02:02:58 PM

two knives, two eras, two styles...two likes!   :like:   :like:
my gear today:

My toys:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1095 on: November 05, 2017, 07:19:46 PM
My toys:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1096 on: November 06, 2017, 01:57:53 PM
My toys:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1097 on: November 07, 2017, 11:47:19 AM
My toys:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1098 on: November 07, 2017, 10:13:25 PM
Peacent, you always seem to be well tooled!

Today's carry for me:

Hard to beat a good Classic.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1099 on: November 08, 2017, 11:45:02 AM
Peacent, you always seem to be well tooled!

Today's carry for me:

(Image removed from quote.)

Hard to beat a good Classic.

what a colorful combo!
Tell me more about that fixed blade    :like: :like:   :drool:

my bladed companions for the SAK today

My toys:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1100 on: November 08, 2017, 07:13:01 PM

...Tell me more about that fixed blade....

Thanks. I'm not sure what I can tell ya.

I've had this knife for many years and it has slowly become a favorite. It was made by a little-known knife genius: Nick Allen of Michigan, USA. The stamp on the ricasso is "NWA" for his initials. I have a couple of other NWA knives and they are all excellent. I think he stopped making knives for a while, but you may be able to track him down on-line or find one on E-bay.

He is a master of design as well as fit and finish. Here is a closer look at the handle on this one:

Black & Tan micarta. Immaculate finish. Keep in mind that this knife has something like 8-10 years of periodic use.  The handle with it's single finger groove and top jimping is very comfortable, but it's kind of a large blade. However, the oversized choil and a second run of jimping allows one to choke up nicely and with great control.

Here's where I may get into trouble: I think (can't fully trust my memory here) that the steel is O-1 tool steel. As you can tell from the first picture, Nick does an edge quench leading to a differential heat treat. (Each of the knives I've gotten from him have been done this way.) I'm not sure how he achieved the spalting on the blade. Cool though. If I had a criticism of this blade, it's that the edge feels a bit too hard. Might be my imagination, but I get that impression when I sharpen it. As a result, I tend to baby this blade a bit to avoid chipping it (hasn't ever happened, so maybe I'm too cautious). It is a great cutter.

I'm not sure if he made the sheath or had it made. It's a heavy leather that is hardened with hot wax. It's practically waterproof and wears like armor. It came with a dangler option, but usually I wear it on the belt.

Not sure what else I can tell you.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 07:16:56 PM by Nix »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1101 on: November 08, 2017, 07:13:36 PM
Oh, today's carry:

Yeah, that's a PX. It's my favorite SAK; can't wait for the MTo limited edition to be shipped!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 07:14:44 PM by Nix »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1102 on: November 08, 2017, 09:49:27 PM

...Tell me more about that fixed blade....

Thanks. I'm not sure what I can tell ya.

I've had this knife for many years and it has slowly become a favorite. It was made by a little-known knife genius: Nick Allen of Michigan, USA. The stamp on the ricasso is "NWA" for his initials. I have a couple of other NWA knives and they are all excellent. I think he stopped making knives for a while, but you may be able to track him down on-line or find one on E-bay.

He is a master of design as well as fit and finish. Here is a closer look at the handle on this one:

Black & Tan micarta. Immaculate finish. Keep in mind that this knife has something like 8-10 years of periodic use.  The handle with it's single finger groove and top jimping is very comfortable, but it's kind of a large blade. However, the oversized choil and a second run of jimping allows one to choke up nicely and with great control.

Here's where I may get into trouble: I think (can't fully trust my memory here) that the steel is O-1 tool steel. As you can tell from the first picture, Nick does an edge quench leading to a differential heat treat. (Each of the knives I've gotten from him have been done this way.) I'm not sure how he achieved the spalting on the blade. Cool though. If I had a criticism of this blade, it's that the edge feels a bit too hard. Might be my imagination, but I get that impression when I sharpen it. As a result, I tend to baby this blade a bit to avoid chipping it (hasn't ever happened, so maybe I'm too cautious). It is a great cutter.

I'm not sure if he made the sheath or had it made. It's a heavy leather that is hardened with hot wax. It's practically waterproof and wears like armor. It came with a dangler option, but usually I wear it on the belt.

Not sure what else I can tell you.

well, it's a beautiful keeper for sure. The looks of it tell it's a blade made to last a lifetime.
I love the sandwiched scales and contour, curves and color of it   :like: :like:

if it's O1 steel it should be super durable, especially with a customised HT. It's used in axes, choppers and tomahawks and Cold Steel uses it in their larger bowies and knives, I've heard very good things of its performance under abuse

the sheath is also a fine example of craftsmanship    :tu:
My toys:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1103 on: November 08, 2017, 10:02:52 PM
I'm a big O1 fan. Great steel when given a good heat treat.  :tu:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1104 on: November 08, 2017, 10:03:17 PM
My toys:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1105 on: November 08, 2017, 10:12:30 PM
Nice!
 I love sharpening day. Very relaxing.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1106 on: November 09, 2017, 12:10:32 PM
My toys:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1107 on: November 09, 2017, 04:28:45 PM
 :tu:

I'm keeping it simple today:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1108 on: November 09, 2017, 06:05:04 PM
:tu:

I'm keeping it simple today:

Black on black, and we're not on Friday yet!!   :like:
My toys:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1109 on: November 10, 2017, 02:48:59 PM
My toys:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%