Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAKs + other blades

ThePeacent · 2671 · 97124

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: SAKs + other blades
Reply #1440 on: March 12, 2018, 07:26:55 PM
a do-most-things, better than entry class but not quite top tier specimen of their respective categories. :salute:
 An excellent, solid and versatile tool for someone who appreciate these things and can use a knife for years to come for most things, and get them done well most times

I don't understand how the Griptilian has earned this reputation with knife people.  :think:

I think of this Gripy as being a 'top tier' knife: G-10 scales, open-pillar construction, CPM-20CV blade steel, nice long clip blade. I'd put this up against my Sebenza or PM2 any day. Great ergos; I've left the clip on, but I'm tempted to take it off because the handle shape is so good.

I don't think the Griptilian, not in this configuration, deserves it's reputation as being a mid-tier knife. I gave my wife my last Griptialian (the sheepsfoot version with 1/2 serrations, 154cm steel) and she loves it. It's been an outstanding performer for both of us. Sure the zytel (?) handles feel a bit 'plastic', but they have been indestructible (with normal use).

Consider: the most basic Griptilian of today would seem like an absolute marvel, if not miracle, in 1800, maybe even 1900. We are blessed to live in the "Golden Age" of pocket knives (all knives really). I suspect that in the future, fewer knives will be available to people as societies and laws further restrict their use. As sales and profits fall, innovations will likely dwindle away. The knives we have today, may just be the best knives ever. And the Griptilian has to be counted as one of them.

:bud:
+1 - The Mini Grip is on my very short bucket list  - one of those things you only hear positive regard too.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1441 on: March 13, 2018, 04:12:00 PM
Solid choice, Mags. Although I prefer the longer blade of the full-sized Griptilians. Nice all-around blade size.

Today's carry:

I'm going ice-fishing later, so I'll augment this lot with a Leatherman Charge later.  :tu:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #1442 on: March 13, 2018, 04:16:27 PM
Solid choice, Mags. Although I prefer the longer blade of the full-sized Griptilians. Nice all-around blade size.

Today's carry:

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm going ice-fishing later, so I'll augment this lot with a Leatherman Charge later.  :tu:
And a sweater I hope! Hope the fishys are biting today  :cheers:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #1443 on: March 13, 2018, 04:33:48 PM

Today's carry:

Great colour combo!

:drool: :drool:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1444 on: March 13, 2018, 04:35:44 PM
Thanks.

It's been a bit warm lately....so I'm hoping the ice is still strong. And that there isn't too much flooding...... :o

If I don't post up tomorrow, you'll know the adventure of fishing got the best of common sense.  :-\

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #1445 on: March 14, 2018, 01:24:18 PM
Thanks.

It's been a bit warm lately....so I'm hoping the ice is still strong. And that there isn't too much flooding...... :o

If I don't post up tomorrow, you'll know the adventure of fishing got the best of common sense.  :-\

what I know is that I wouldn't dare carrying that knife on an ice fishing trip...too many things can happen  :ahhh

take care!  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1446 on: March 14, 2018, 02:59:55 PM

what I know is that I wouldn't dare carrying that knife on an ice fishing trip...too many things can happen  :ahhh

I hear you, but the Farmer is just too handy to leave at home. And I put a reflective lanyard on it so I can find it in the dark.  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1447 on: March 14, 2018, 04:47:38 PM
A love affair with the Rift begins.......

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1448 on: March 15, 2018, 04:55:06 PM
Change up for today:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #1449 on: March 15, 2018, 04:58:16 PM
Change up for today:

Well that Rift love affair didn't last love Nix!  :D Leave it broken hearted and on to the next poor unsuspecting blade eh?  :ahhh

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1450 on: March 15, 2018, 04:59:19 PM
Change up for today:

Well that Rift love affair didn't last love Nix!  :D Leave it broken hearted and on to the next poor unsuspecting blade eh?  :ahhh

:facepalm:

I'm a knife slut...what can I say? Fidelity isn't one of my good qualities.  :rofl:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #1451 on: March 15, 2018, 11:53:55 PM
Oh dear... I got another bloody Boker.
Anso67 and classic.jpg
* Anso67 and classic.jpg (Filesize: 162 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1452 on: March 15, 2018, 11:55:20 PM
 :like:

I don't have a Boker. Worth trying, are they?

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #1453 on: March 16, 2018, 07:50:26 AM
I think so. Trouble is, they make hundreds of not-so-interesting knives, there's a lot of junk to dig through. The ones I have all happen to be designed by this Danish guy Jens Ansø.

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #1454 on: March 16, 2018, 09:05:23 AM

You might want to take a look at their 2018 catalog. A PDF is available for download here https://www.boker.de/kataloganforderung

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1455 on: March 16, 2018, 12:15:39 PM

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #1456 on: March 16, 2018, 12:19:08 PM
Awlsome shot, Peacent!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1457 on: March 16, 2018, 01:27:40 PM
Awlsome shot, Peacent!

well truth is any time the Black Rajah makes appearance a "badass blade" moment ensues  :D

My toys:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1458 on: March 16, 2018, 02:53:01 PM

Be aware there are 4 "Boker" subdivisions, from more expensive to less:   ;)

Boker = Germany, good and solid quality, interesting collabs and designs, excellent F&F
Boker Arbolito = Argentina made, decent quality, average steel and HT, sexy shapes and odd blades
Boker Plus = China made, not good value on most models, standard steel and HT, shoddy QC and F&F
Boker Magnum = China made, rock bottom quality, loose tolerances, pot steel, dubious HT, bad finish and action, poor durability

it's one of the brands with more variation in its offerings at all levels    :salute:
do your research! and then you'll most likely not be disappointed  :tu:
My toys:

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #1459 on: March 16, 2018, 03:10:50 PM

Df2 ZDP-189, executive, suprabeam 11 mini, China pen with glassbreaker in case I need to base jump from the to floor of a skyscraper because the roof was locked... while eating oranges..  or something

Sent from the second to top floor of a skyscraper using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 03:12:18 PM by stoneshank »

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #1460 on: March 16, 2018, 03:16:22 PM

Be aware there are 4 "Boker" subdivisions, from more expensive to less:   ;)

Boker = Germany, good and solid quality, interesting collabs and designs, excellent F&F
Boker Arbolito = Argentina made, decent quality, average steel and HT, sexy shapes and odd blades
Boker Plus = China made, not good value on most models, standard steel and HT, shoddy QC and F&F
Boker Magnum = China made, rock bottom quality, loose tolerances, pot steel, dubious HT, bad finish and action, poor durability

it's one of the brands with more variation in its offerings at all levels    :salute:
do your research! and then you'll most likely not be disappointed  :tu:
Boy do I know! I tried to get hold of a Böker congress whittler knife, nigh impossible to ship to Sweden!

whittled out of binary code using Tapatalk

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #1461 on: March 16, 2018, 03:28:33 PM
How strange. They make that knife in Germany but don't sell it here!

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #1462 on: March 16, 2018, 07:18:12 PM
How strange. They make that knife in Germany but don't sell it here!
Yeah, so strange! it's a Solingen whittler knife not sold!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1463 on: March 16, 2018, 07:24:30 PM
Stoneshank, I'd be more than happy to ship it to you.

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #1464 on: March 16, 2018, 07:52:02 PM
I tried ordering a Böker Congress Whittler from the US about two years ago. Price was $ 69, but postage, packing, taxes and insurance raised the cost to over $ 150. I cancelled the order and never looked back. But I´m planning a trip to Solingen in May or June and might get myself a nice traditional.

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #1465 on: March 16, 2018, 08:51:06 PM
Stoneshank, I'd be more than happy to ship it to you.
Thanks man. But like Ron wrote, it's hard to warrant the cost. Also, the reason I got back to my teenage hobby of SAK's was my failed attempts at finding a whittler knife. Now I make my own by remodeling SAK's.

And I can't complain about the knives when I whittle, all ugly is mine which I find joy in finding out about and do something about. Just wish more would whittle, so I could have someone to exchange ideas with!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1466 on: March 17, 2018, 01:35:29 PM
My toys:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1467 on: March 17, 2018, 02:52:29 PM
Nice combo there!

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #1468 on: March 17, 2018, 03:25:08 PM
Shank---  you aren't kidding about the Biker Whittled.. Its $60 on US Amazon and I'm sure it would be an arm and leg to ship cross pond. If it is any consolation, here is the cheaper Rough Rider version:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Rough-Rider-Knives-Mini-4-Blade-Whittler-White-Smooth-Bone-2-Closd-Knife-/152785293134

:whistle:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1469 on: March 17, 2018, 04:30:05 PM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99