Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAKs + other blades

ThePeacent · 2671 · 97306

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: SAKs + other blades
Reply #1680 on: May 30, 2018, 06:06:39 PM
 :like:

I'm not sure why the bigger A-F Combat folder isn't also coated. Just to be cool, if nothing else. 

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #1681 on: May 31, 2018, 05:16:03 PM
The incredibly rare Meerkat alongside the even rarer Mountaineer Lite
Lovely meerkat

One of the repeaters in this thread it thoroughly enjoy seeing!

- stoneshank

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #1682 on: May 31, 2018, 05:50:12 PM
One thing I will say about the Meerkat - those ugly indentations on the handle make it a remarkably grippy little knife. Once you grab it, it isn't going anywhere - unlike my slippery stainless steel Dragonfly!
It's also nice that it is a slightly unusual knife, with its strange locking mechanism.

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #1683 on: May 31, 2018, 06:03:12 PM
One thing I will say about the Meerkat - those ugly indentations on the handle make it a remarkably grippy little knife. Once you grab it, it isn't going anywhere - unlike my slippery stainless steel Dragonfly!
It's also nice that it is a slightly unusual knife, with its strange locking mechanism.
I'll getting, probably next week, a Böker exskelibur ll (with thumb flipper instead of nailgroove) in Ti. I'm gonna pay it off during summer but it's still worth it hopefully.

- stoneshank
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:32:14 PM by stoneshank »

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #1684 on: May 31, 2018, 06:19:41 PM
Sounds Awesome!

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #1685 on: May 31, 2018, 11:06:08 PM
To me my Explorer Plus and my beloved Leek are my perfect pair

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1686 on: June 01, 2018, 08:12:40 AM
Cadet II X and EAB Lite...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #1687 on: June 01, 2018, 09:20:28 AM
I've always liked the Leek, never got round to trying one!
That Gerber looks like a damn handy little tool as well.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #1688 on: June 01, 2018, 10:23:39 AM
Wenger and a Ladybug... which I have never used cos it looks so silly & small. Actually the blade length is the same as on the Meerkat - the Meerkat just has a chunkier handle!
wenger-super-blue.jpg
* wenger-super-blue.jpg (Filesize: 219.39 KB)

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #1689 on: June 01, 2018, 10:51:34 AM
Meerkat, Ladybug, and a Cadet for size comparison!
Cadet-Kat-bug.jpg
* Cadet-Kat-bug.jpg (Filesize: 317.08 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #1690 on: June 01, 2018, 12:34:10 PM

lovely group  :like:

mine is not as cool

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #1691 on: June 01, 2018, 04:46:01 PM
I've always liked the Leek, never got round to trying one!
That Gerber looks like a damn handy little tool as well.
Thanks Thunderpants... Convenient way to stay sharp with thise replaceable blades... :cheers:

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #1692 on: June 01, 2018, 08:57:52 PM
Excuse the photobombing fly on the bolster   :twak:

Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #1693 on: June 01, 2018, 10:30:45 PM
Amici,
Behold my Trinity..

Cheers,
Serge
Trinity.jpg.jpeg
* Trinity.jpg.jpeg (Filesize: 224.25 KB)
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #1694 on: June 01, 2018, 11:21:59 PM
Peacent - what's that small black thing that looks like a Wenger Evogrip? Very nice whatever it is!

Borg - That is a stunning Wenger Evowood! I have two and they look pretty boring compared to yours!

Sergemaster - another awesome handful of Spyderco efficiency and Swiss practicality! No idea what the other thing is!

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #1695 on: June 02, 2018, 07:56:43 AM
Excuse the photobombing fly on the bolster   :twak:

Is that the 175 carpet knife? Could you tell us a bit more about it?

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #1696 on: June 02, 2018, 12:01:35 PM
Thanks TP,  i have another couple that are crying out for some type of wood stain as they are very pale and featureless but there's not much that can be done if the grain isn't there  :( i am a huge fan of wooden handles so it doesn't bother me too much but i may spice them up a bit in the future  :tu:

Ron yes it's the Craftsmen 175 carpet knife/felt knife, a multitude of uses from garden work to woodworking but used for cutting leather, felt and indeed carpets, but i don't use it for that so don't know how effective it is, carbon steel hawkbill with a Birch handle..what's not to love  :D
This one may have had a different product name as it was made by KJ Eriksson so it's a pre Morakniv Mora from before the merger but certainly looks the same  :salute:
For scale, Hunter pro and number 8 Op

Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1697 on: June 02, 2018, 01:21:12 PM
Thanks TP,  i have another couple that are crying out for some type of wood stain as they are very pale and featureless but there's not much that can be done if the grain isn't there  :( i am a huge fan of wooden handles so it doesn't bother me too much but i may spice them up a bit in the future  :tu:

Ron yes it's the Craftsmen 175 carpet knife/felt knife, a multitude of uses from garden work to woodworking but used for cutting leather, felt and indeed carpets, but i don't use it for that so don't know how effective it is, carbon steel hawkbill with a Birch handle..what's not to love  :D
This one may have had a different product name as it was made by KJ Eriksson so it's a pre Morakniv Mora from before the merger but certainly looks the same  :salute:
For scale, Hunter pro and number 8 Op

it's obvious from your "100 knives stuck in a log" that you like wood handled knives  :like:
you got some gorgeous pieces  :salute:

that black EVO styled knife is a Chinese made and branded mini SAKalike, not nearly as good in quality as genuine SAKs but has two implements that none of my Swiss knives have: a nail clipper and a "dead skin remover" so I carry it quite a bit for field hygiene and hand maintenance

I have a red one and the black one  :whistle: The blade, file, scissors and screwdriver are not comparable to a 58mm SAK versions  :twak:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #1698 on: June 02, 2018, 02:28:02 PM
Nick Shabazz just in the last days releaseda review of your meerkat !

- stoneshank

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #1701 on: June 02, 2018, 08:17:07 PM
Thanks for that Stoneshank! I pretty much agree with everything Mr Shabazz says - the Dragonfly is a better idea in most respects, but there is something unique and charming about the Meerkat.
I tried the method he suggested for closing it - it didn't make much sense to me. I can close mine one-handed using the normal method - pushing a thumb down into the dip with the Spyderco logo in it, then reaching a finger forward to tap down the blade. I also can't say I was bothered about the jimping or lack of it - it sits firmly enough in the hand for you not to worry about getting friction from every single possible surface.
It definitely sounds like you should get one while they're still affordable!
closing.jpg
* closing.jpg (Filesize: 178.4 KB)

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #1702 on: June 02, 2018, 08:41:41 PM
Thanks for that Stoneshank! I pretty much agree with everything Mr Shabazz says - the Dragonfly is a better idea in most respects, but there is something unique and charming about the Meerkat.
I tried the method he suggested for closing it - it didn't make much sense to me. I can close mine one-handed using the normal method - pushing a thumb down into the dip with the Spyderco logo in it, then reaching a finger forward to tap down the blade. I also can't say I was bothered about the jimping or lack of it - it sits firmly enough in the hand for you not to worry about getting friction from every single possible surface.
It definitely sounds like you should get one while they're still affordable!
I wish but this whole summers budget it's the Böker exskelibur ll. They sent me one with nailnick first (the site has all the data and pictures of a ll with thumbflipper), then they sent me it's bigger brother (which I love but can't get myself to carry due to size) because "we don't have the ll work thumbflipper".

It ended up with me keeping the nailnick one and brought out my dremmel and cut jimping and removed Ti from handle. It's not pretty but still kind of happy!

- stoneshank

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1703 on: June 02, 2018, 09:20:35 PM
hey TP, here you got another small blade to go with your SAKs  :D

My toys:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1705 on: June 03, 2018, 04:47:05 PM

you got lots of cool old discontinued folders Ron!  ::) :like:
My toys:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #1706 on: June 03, 2018, 09:30:19 PM

you got lots of cool old discontinued folders Ron!  ::) :like:

Yes, they are from another age. When I still had money to spend.  :D

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1707 on: June 05, 2018, 01:57:34 PM
My toys:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #1708 on: June 05, 2018, 03:23:17 PM
"Congratulations on purchasing the Excalibur (or finding it in a lake). You are now King of the Britons. This blade has magical powers and can only be wielded by a true king. However, adding jimping will negate those powers and void your warranty. Hail Stoneshank, King of the Britons! You can find more magical swords at www boker dot com..."

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #1709 on: June 05, 2018, 03:26:12 PM
In the forest with the forester and the Pilar. And a Mountaineer. Cos, you know... maybe I need two corkscrews, four blades, two awls etc....
Three on a stone.jpg
* Three on a stone.jpg (Filesize: 302.08 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%