Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Advice for UK Legal Carry SOG Multitool mainly for bike maintenance?

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

If I were a policeman I would not believe you need a Knife for bike maintenance...

I don´t think UK police were so stupids to believe that

It's not really a question of stupidity, its a question of common sense prevailing. I have have been asked about my Charge when (discreetly) cutting my daughters fruit in a mall cafe, and the policeman's only comment was "is this the TTi"? He himself had a Wave on his belt. They have better things to do than arrest people for silly things generally.

Now of course if I had been waving the thing around (or any knife for that matter) then they'd have taken a very different view I'm sure.

Fair point, and you're probably right under most circumstances (in your case the fact that the policeman in question was also a Leatherman fan probably also helped!), but you could still encounter a policeman who's having a bad day who would be within the letter of the law to bust you for having a locking blade. I guess the chance that you'd get into trouble for having a knifeless multitool that happened to have a locking saw and awl would be pretty slim, though.
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Oh don't get me wrong OG. I choose to chance it by being careful (and hopefully sensible), but I fully understand why you might not and wouldn't try to convince you otherwise. At the end of the day the law is clear and if the copper hasn't anything better to do or just plain doesn't like you - you could end up in front of Father Christmas with your tool being confiscated. I totally get it!

I'm just a stubborn bugger really.
I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline shibafu

I guess you have never installed (or scrutinised) decking !
I have no idea why - But in the UK decking screws are nearly always Robertsons (not sure if we call them that tho')
They are very, very common in Canada (invented by a Canadian bloke) - and you will often hear the Canucks on this forum moaning that they are not as common as they should be on MTs!!   :o  ;)  :D

Robertson is very rare in the UK, usually we find Torx where Robertson could be used.  Including deck screws, I'd have expected ??? The only Robertson screws I ever see are Kreg pocket hole screws.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Robertson are only common in Canada, I have never seen one myself here, but I just don't want to take it off my SOG PP!

Who knows if the day comes when I find myself teleported to a Canadian prison with Robertsons on the door?  :think:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

england Offline macabee

The Gerber MP600 bladeless is worth a gander :multi:
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24