Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

first aid kit

us Offline flbeachbum

first aid kit
on: July 23, 2016, 08:09:53 PM
A few days ago my fishing buddy had a run-in with a salsmurfer catfish. For those unfamiliar, they are slightly poisonous evil creatures that serve no purpose in life.

This got me thinking about my first aid kit. All I had with me is a few band aids and antibiotic cream. I have been intending to put one together for some time now, but it always seems to fall to the bottom of the to-do list and never gets done. I have looked at a few of the prepackaged ones but they look  under supplied and like the priority of the manufacturer was marketing and not first aid, especially the tools. I don't think I would be comfortable trusting somebody's life to them.

What would you suggest to put in one other than the obvious band-aids, antibiotic cream, meds, scissors? I am looking for something small enough to put in the end pocket of my tackle bag or day hiking bag. A kit to leave in the truck or for the house is a discussion for another day.

EMS type scissors: some are functional and some just look good. What would you recommend that is actually useful?
What do you carry yours in? I can't find anything I like. I want something small enough to fit in my space requirements but also would be obvious as a first aid kit if I needed to send someone else to get it.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Re: first aid kit
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 11:38:25 PM
I bought a decent off the shelf kit but added a few items to it. Kit contains:

Plasters
Bandages
Wound dressings
Antiseptic wipes
Burn Gel
Sling
Nitrile gloves
Antibacterial hand gel
Scalpels
Paracetamol
Ibuprofen
Antihistamines
Anti diarrhoea
Micropore tape
Sterile eye wash
Fenix E05
Victorinox Explorer
EMT Shears
Tweezers
Foil blanket
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 12:21:30 AM
Salsmurfer catfish ???

They still sound horrible :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

:rofl: Sorry but you need to type it in as 2 words salt water or the language filter changes it to smurf ;)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 12:22:49 AM
Couple good threads in here about first aid kits :cheers:

I will go and round a link or two up :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

us Offline flbeachbum

Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 10:31:26 AM
Thank you.

I have been wondering what some people here had against smurfs. I didn't realize the board did that on its own. It's very strange that it has a problem with salt water though.
The catfish are pure  >:D no matter what you call them. I don't even throw them back in the water anymore. I toss them up on the beach for the Great Herons that are stalking your catch before you can even get it reeled in. There is no excuse for allowing those things to multiply.

Does this mean I don't have to edit my thoughts and can just type in anything the way it comes to mind? If so I would love to have one of those for my mouth.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 03:12:44 PM
Yeah, you have to watch what the smurf you say around here or all your smurfing swear words get changed to smurf. Even when you don't think you're swearing, like smart watch as one word ends up as Smarsmurfch

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 03:14:21 PM
It's all good though, after a while you'll stop saying smurf all the time and just say smurf  :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 03:45:45 PM
It's in your daily life you'll get strange looks when you filter yourself and say smurf instead of smurf  :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 03:50:13 PM
It's all good though, after a while you'll stop saying smurf all the time and just say smurf  :D

It's in your daily life you'll get strange looks when you filter yourself and say smurf instead of smurf  :rofl:

I self-censor in real life with smurf... :facepalm:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 03:52:55 PM

Sounds fine to me :tu:

:D

us Offline flbeachbum

Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 04:06:14 PM

Perhaps an indication of too much time spent here?
J/K  :)

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 07:12:57 PM
In FAK's that go into the pack, range bag, truck etc. I like to throw in a tourniquet such as a CAT or SOF-TT. Putting a good  FAK that suit your needs can be a interesting journey. Hope you find what you need.    :tu:     :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 08:05:48 PM
Guess I should offer something up as well.  I like adding in self adhesive wrap.  I don't have to fuss with pins or tape and I can hold gauze onto the wound yet still am able to use my hands for other things.   I also cannot stress enough to bring gloves.  You don't want to treat open wounds with dirty hands and lets face it we cannot always wash out hand when in the field. 

Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 08:16:04 PM
theres a few words that get through - have we had a non family friendly thread about defeating the filter ?  :whistle:
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #15 on: August 07, 2016, 06:55:11 PM

Sounds fine to me :tu:

:D

Where First Aid Badge  :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok:

au Offline lshaw

Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 12:44:25 PM
It's a good question especially in the context of a catfish spine injury. Im a paramedic and currently in the latter part of a medical degree and I have a particular interest is wilderness medicine. Wilderness or backcountry medical equipment is something that's quite a conversation for both outdoors people and medicos. Companies like Adventure Medical Kits, Lifesystems and Wilderness Medical Systems actually make very good off the shelf kits and id recommend them. Especially AMK. For a catfish though the best thing for someone like yourself is to clean the puncture thoroughly, including thorough irrigation, dress the wound and watch over subsequent days for signs of infection. Some sort of non-prescription pain relief also seems appropriate. For venomous fish spines (non lethal ones) in Australia the best treatment is a long acting local anaesthetic infiltrated along the tract the spine has created. This can bring a great deal of relief. We have a particularly painful freshwater fish called a Bullrout and this is a splendid solution for that fish spine injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 12, 2016, 02:06:15 AM
Thanks for the recommendations, I need a few kits,  I was planning on building my own with this. 

* Medical_No17.jpg (Filesize: 20.25 KB)

* medical_inst__bag_no174.jpg (Filesize: 18.27 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: September 12, 2016, 02:31:12 AM
Thanks for the recommendations, I need a few kits,  I was planning on building my own with this.

Looks interesting :like: If you do make a FAK with that could you post a few pics :tu:

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 12, 2016, 02:45:17 AM
Yeah for sure, found the bag for $30, and figure I'll build it a bit at a time.....where to start?? Duct tape and clean rags, check.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: September 12, 2016, 04:05:21 AM
Yeah for sure, found the bag for $30, and figure I'll build it a bit at a time.....where to start?? Duct tape and clean rags, check.

Band aids and triple antibiotic ointment, hydrocortizone cream and some alcohol wipes are a good next step that I always start with :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: September 12, 2016, 04:39:12 PM
Here's a good video of a doctor's FAK.  Some of the items may not be readily available or pricy so adjust accordingly.  I was able to build a nice FAK for camping based off his kit.
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: September 12, 2016, 07:10:30 PM
I'm currently evaluating rescue knives

Not all is gold that shines as you can read in this thread
I ended up giving these to a paramedic a while back. She reported they didn't hold up very well on the job.

Scissors are no easy choice either. There is a huge problem (at least for me) with access to decent shears. My basic conclusion was: the bigger the better ;)
I have settled for the Vic Classic (tiny kit), Dovo (medium) and blunted Kai (full sized).
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 04:34:38 AM
Thanks for posting those links

us Offline flbeachbum

Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 04:28:14 PM
Well it took me a lot longer than I hoped to get this project done. Sometimes real life has a PITA way of getting involved where it is not wanted.

I made two identical kits because I have a bad habit of removing things from one place and not returning them to their original location. Then I either can't find them or forget to take them. Out of sight, out of mind you know. So I have one in my fishing tackle bag and one in my hiking / travel day bag. I am probably going to put together a third one for the center console of my truck so I don't have to break into the trauma kit for boo boos.

Interested in any feedback you have. Did I forget anything obvious? Questions and suggestions are more than welcome. Please keep in mind that this is basically a boo boo kit for minor accidents. I am currently working on a more in depth trauma kit to keep in the truck.

085.JPG
* 085.JPG (Filesize: 289.03 KB)
087.JPG
* 087.JPG (Filesize: 253.45 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 04:31:59 PM
 :like:

BooBoo Kits need only the basics.  They really don't need to be over thought.  Yours looks great.  Better later than never. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 06:09:26 PM
I got to get mine set up, I got my wallet ER, my mini, and my pouch, I just have to get everything organized.
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline flbeachbum

Reply #27 on: March 17, 2017, 12:20:09 PM
Thanks. I do think I probably over thought this.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #28 on: March 17, 2017, 01:10:55 PM
You can click on these med kits, and look at the supply list for each kit to get some ideas.  Basically, I break my prep down into 1) boo boo kit with bandaids, anti bacterial wipes, gauze pads, advil, tums, Imodium, etc., and 2) major bleed stoppers including thick pads and feminine hygiene pads.  Consider also a few pair of latex gloves with each.  Boom.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/medical-kits.html

You can also make a mini boo boo kit using a 3x3 or similar craft-type ziplock with just a couple of band-aids and wipes.  You can give this to a stranger as needed.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:13:22 PM by powernoodle »
:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #29 on: March 17, 2017, 06:43:50 PM
Here's a pic of what's on me 100% of the time, unless at home where it is not needed, cause it's in my wallet. It doesn't take up much space pretty much as two credit cards, if that. All it is, is one of those picture holders, just one window and stashed with two alcohol wipes and three of two diff size bandaids. Pretty simple, and very useful..
JR
IMG_2296.PNG
* IMG_2296.PNG (Filesize: 139.01 KB)
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%