Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Survive Outdoors Longer Kits.

Chako · 10 · 1013

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Survive Outdoors Longer Kits.
on: March 19, 2017, 03:42:08 PM
Survive Outdoor Longer or S.O.L for short, is an innovative company that designs and builds interesting survival gear and kits. My first knowledge of them came from the S.O.L Origin kit. The Origin blew my socks off for its ingenuity, compactness, and usability. I just had never seen anything like the Origin kit prior to my seeing it online. That first kit got me into slowly acquiring the others over time whenever I stumble upon them at local stores.

The reason for this thread is to give you guys feedback and some of my thoughts on the various S.O.L survival kits I now have in my possession.

If you are curious about their other products and such...here is there website...

http://www.surviveoutdoorslonger.com/

Before we start, I must confess something. When I first came upon the Origin S.O.L kit, my first thought was that S.O.L stood for "smurf Out of Luck". I was a little surprised to note that S.O.L did not stand for that but "Survive Outdoor Longer". Talk about a let down.  :rofl:

Since the Origin kit was my first...lets start with that model...

S.O.L Origin Kit.

I cannot tell you how much I love this kit. Mind you, I have always had a weak spot for gadgets, and the Origin kit checks that off admirably. This little kit fits in the palm of your hand, and contains a lot of goodness in a small hard-shell ABS package. The Origin features a main waterproof compartment, a featured underside that has 3 removable tools, and a top flip compartment that features the signaling mirror.

Here you see the Origin from the top. The signaling mirror is fairly protected and is located on the lid. Just flip the mirror up and you will find instructions for properly using the signaling mirror.

The bottom of the Origin kit is where its at in terms for gadgetry.

This is what blew my socks off with this kit. The combo knife/LED light/whistle, compass, and fire starter lock into place under the kit. The whistle and LED light can be used with the tool stowed away. The compass simply slides off, it a little too easily for my liking. The fire starter required a bit of effort...which to me means it will stay put with no worries. The knife blade features a frame lock, and thankfully, no serrations.

Opening the waterproof compartment, you will note that there is a Buck Tilton survival guide under a tab on the underside of the lid.

The main compartment has the following content:
- 150 lbs braided nylon rope
- 4 Tinder-Quick fire starters
- a small spool of stainless steel wire
- emergency sewing and fishing kit
- 3 safety pins
- aluminium foil

There is room for a few more small items to reconfigure the survival kit to your needs. I really like the integration and compactness of the Origin kit. Of all my survival kits that I now have, this is the one I would most likely use in the field as it most fits my needs.

S.O.L Scout Kit.

This is another good kit from S.O.L. I liked this kit so much that I bought a second one for my Jeep. The only thing I added to the kit was a Victorinox 111mm Dual Pro...and yes, there is just enough room to add one of Victorinox's larger knives to the kit.

The Scout kit comes in a water proof bag with plastic buckle.

Once you unbuckle and unwrap the bag, the inside contents are easily accessible. The Scout kit comes with...

- 2 person heat reflective survival blanket
- fire lite striker
- 100 db emergency whistle
- signal mirror
- small button compass
- a roll of duct tape
- fishing/sewing kit

As mentioned before, I found that the inclusion of a knife to be a great vehicle SHTF kit. Mine resides in the passenger door storage along with 2 S.O.L Emergency blankets. On my driver door storage, I have a medical kit and a S.O.L emergency Bivvy. The S.O.L Scout is a great kit that comes in a waterproof bag with a little room for something extra.

S.O.L Traverse Kit.

This next kit takes the Altoids survival tin and enlarges it to a size of  6.25” X 4” X 1.5”. The tin features two very tactile roller buckles that securely keep the kit closed but at the same time, allow for easy access.

The Traverse kit contains the following...

- 60" x 84" emergency blanket
- Sterile 1 L bag
- 2 water purification tablets
- spark lite fire starter
- emergency whistle
- a roll of duct tape
- 1 safety pin
- survival instructions guide

The back of the Traverse kit.

The Traverse kit has plenty of room for additional gear.

Because the Traverse kit has so much room, this would make a good start for a hoped up Altoids Tin survival kit.

S.O.L Hybrid 3 Kit.

This is an interesting kit that would be perfect for a base camp or I guess anyone who wants to have pack a comprehensive kit for a hike outdoors. This kit features 3 kits in one, and also benefits from good amount of added free space that would allow you to add and tailor make this kit for your needs.

The Hybrid 3 comes in a soft clam-shell package with a wrap around zipper. Inside are 2 zippered compartments, one featuring the medical supplies, and the other containing the survival and gear repair items. Inside is another smaller removable zippered pouch that gives you the option of leaving the main pack at camp, and carrying a few essential items with you. The removable mini bag is held in place via two Velcro tabs wrapped around two rope loops.

The Medical kit is a good one. It contains the following:

- 5 safety pins
- pair of safety medical shears
- Tweezers
- assortment of band aids
- blister band aids
- 2 packages of after bite
- 4 packages of Loris antiseptic towelettes
- 1 package of Iodine
- various surgical sponges
- various gauze bandages
- 1 roll of medical tape

The other side contains the following items...

- Survival blanket
- signal mirror
- Fire lite fire starter
- roll of duct tape
- 3 large and 3 small zip ties
- headlamp
- 4 rolls of 150 pound braided nylon rope
- 2 pieces of aluminium foil
- emergency whistle
- button compass
- survival instructions

As I have mentioned before, this kit has plenty of room to add more items to personalize the kit. This is a good kit for base camp use.

Conclusion.

I fell in love with the Origin kit, and after looking at the other kits in my possession, I can tell you that my original thoughts and feelings on S.O.L. survival kits have not diminished. I feel these are excellent value for money, and some of the kits allow you room to add extras. I have used the Spark lite to start a fire once, and it proved equal to that task. The whistle is of a good design that will work wet, and it is good and loud. My cats hate the whistle. I use the Scout kit with an added Victorinox knife as my vehicle kit. The Traverse kit is basically an Altoids kit on steroids, allowing you plenty of room to create your perfect survival kit...with the addition of a sturdy, secure, and easy to get into tin. The Hybrid 3 kit joins 3 kits into one, with plenty of room left over if you need it.

I hope you enjoyed this little romp through 4 S.O.L kits. I still think S.O.L should stand for smurf Out of Luck kits...because when the chips are down, I would like to have one of these kits by my side.

Size comparison between all 4 kits.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 03:43:12 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Re: Survive Outdoors Longer Kits.
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 11:23:37 AM
Very interesting kits, thanks for the write-up! :tu:

And yes, "Smurf Out of Luck" would be better name :rofl:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 12:10:51 PM
Nice kits- and I imagine somewhat more useful than the Stealth Angel kit I just ordered.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 01:13:57 PM
I always liked the look of the SOL kits :tu: Thanks for the pics and sharing Chako :cheers: :cheers: :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 03:05:22 PM
Nice write up  :tu:

I actually always thought the name was smurf out of luck  :whistle:
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 11:37:03 PM
So I wasn't the only one...that makes me feel a whole lot better.

Def, I can't wait to see more about that kit and the photos.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 12:47:26 AM
Better start practicing your facepalm now!

I know I am...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 02:15:51 AM
I just wonder if it will be mall ninja approved.  :D

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 02:38:22 AM
SOL is actually a department or sub-brand of Adventure Medical Kits, with the parent company being Tender Corp. They are based in the next town over from my parents, so full disclaimer I've interviewed with them but never worked for them. They also own Bens and Naturapel bug repellents and QuikClot.

I've been using the Scout as the basis for kit builds for years, back to when it was just called the SOL and came with matches. I like that they have extra room in the pouch. And unless they've changed something recently, it really is a tiny drybag. I had one in at the bottom of a a bucket for a week once, the oatmeal inside was dry.

I haven't handled a Traverse yet- is there a gasket on the tin?  Or is it not water resistant by nature?

I feel that PSKs really need to have a shelter module, even if it means they take up two pockets. The Heatsheet is a longtime favorite of mine.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 05:29:28 AM
No gasket on the tin, and I would imagine not waterproof. However, zip lock bags would make everything in there waterproof.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24