Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

first aid kit

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: first aid kit
Reply #30 on: March 17, 2017, 07:52:20 PM
In my opinion latex gloves are an absolute must have.  Several pairs too.

Maybe I'm paranoid but I don't want any hesitation if I'm trying to help someone, or if they are trying to help me.  Gloves can make a huge difference in whether someone is willing to put their hands somewhere.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: March 17, 2017, 08:50:56 PM

Maybe I'm paranoid but I don't want any hesitation if I'm trying to help someone, or if they are trying to help me.  Gloves can make a huge difference in whether someone is willing to put their hands somewhere.

Def

Non latex would be great as well but either way gloves are a must.  I keep several pair in my vehicle.
Esse Quam Videri

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #32 on: March 17, 2017, 09:02:54 PM

Def
Yes gloves are a must, and are in the bigger fak, but are you telling me if Megan had a booboo while out hiking you need gloves to put a bandaid on?
Jr
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: March 17, 2017, 10:00:58 PM
*response withheld due to the family friendly nature of the forum*

:P

Seriously, Megan is safe, but I don't know where other people have been or what they've done.  Better safe than sorry.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: March 17, 2017, 10:24:40 PM
*response withheld due to the family friendly nature of the forum*

:P

Seriously, Megan is safe, but I don't know where other people have been or what they've done.  Better safe than sorry.

Def
Well yeah, there are even some family friendly people I'd still put gloves on for!

Could even make a little keychain thingy to hold a pair of gloves, but in my fak I have a few pairs..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #35 on: March 17, 2017, 11:16:31 PM
Wear gloves 24/7 like I do, so you are always ready.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: March 18, 2017, 01:38:50 AM
Wear gloves 24/7 like I do, so you are always ready.

8)

:D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: March 18, 2017, 01:39:49 AM
I even ordered a few of the CPR masks a while back and try to keep those in my kits as well as the gloves :tu:

I am CPR certified ;)

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: March 18, 2017, 04:32:53 AM
I finally took everything out and re-organized it,
The first pic is both the two kits
The second is what's in the little one,
And the third is whats in the large one,
But I took a few things out, put most of the bandaids in the little tin and put that and everything else inside the the larger one.
JR
IMG_6396.PNG
* IMG_6396.PNG (Filesize: 175.95 KB)
IMG_6397.PNG
* IMG_6397.PNG (Filesize: 297.44 KB)
IMG_6398.PNG
* IMG_6398.PNG (Filesize: 289.95 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: March 18, 2017, 05:34:18 AM
Some nice well organized kits MadP :salute: :like: :like:

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: March 18, 2017, 06:41:34 AM
Some nice well organized kits MadP :salute: :like: :like:
Thanks,
JR

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: March 18, 2017, 02:31:27 PM
This thread has reminded me that the FAK I keep in the Jeep was brought into the house a few months ago to re-stock and never made it back out to the Jeep!  :ahhh

I guess it's time I remedied that.... I think I may also get a small Otterbox and build a kit for kayaking- we often go quite a few miles out of the way, and injuries can and do happen in the woods.  I have more than a few scars on my shins from portaging through thick bushes, or slipping on wet rocks while gettinig in and out of the boat.  One time I even gouged my shin pretty good on the boat cowling (lip around the cockpit) while getting in.

Given some of the places we go paddling in can be a bit nasty, the ability to clean and cover a boo boo seems important.

For example, one time I got a bit of canal water in my eye- by the next day my eye was so swollen up and crusted over that I couldn't see out of it, and I had to wear sunglasses everywhere so people wouldn't throw up when they saw me!   :ahhh

Def

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #42 on: March 18, 2017, 02:39:52 PM
So is swimming in the canal a no-no?  :ahhh
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #43 on: March 18, 2017, 02:44:22 PM
For example, one time I got a bit of canal water in my eye- by the next day my eye was so swollen up and crusted over that I couldn't see out of it, and I had to wear sunglasses everywhere so people wouldn't throw up when they saw me!   :ahhh

eeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

thats just one of the many reasons why i prefer sea kayaking
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #44 on: March 18, 2017, 02:44:51 PM
No, I do that too- but then take a long, hot shower when I get home or swimmer's itch would drive you completely insane!   :ahhh

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: March 18, 2017, 02:47:06 PM

I do that too, but as it is now a 14 hour driver to get to the ocean, I am a little less inclined to do that!   :ahhh

Def

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: March 18, 2017, 03:45:25 PM

I do that too, but as it is now a 14 hour driver to get to the ocean, I am a little less inclined to do that!   :ahhh

Def

yeah, i can walk to the atlantic in about 5 ish minutes from my home . . . do you miss the sea since you moved ?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: March 18, 2017, 04:18:05 PM
Not really.  I wasn't raised there so I don't have that connection that other people seem to have.  Megan does though, and I don't think a day has gone by since we came here that she hasn't mentioned it.

Def

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: March 18, 2017, 04:41:45 PM
i can relate to that - over the years i've lived away a good few times and not been near the sea has always bothered me, not something specific, but just a feeling, it's a bit hard to explain.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #49 on: March 18, 2017, 04:57:22 PM
I even ordered a few of the CPR masks

The development of CPR without mouth-to-mouth in the past few years is interesting.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/cpr_without_mouth_to_mouth_rescue_breathing_may_be_better_for_many_victims_of_cardiac_arrest

Though mouth-to-mouth is still recommended in some circumstances:

" "It is very important to understand that the patients in this study were adults and that for most children who suffer cardiac arrest, such as drowning victims, we must do rescue breathing," says Weisfeldt, a past president of the AHA (1989-1990).

He also notes that there are adults with breathing-related causes of sudden death where rescue breathing should be performed, including patients with sudden, acute heart failure, severe chronic lung disease, or acute asthma, and cardiac arrest."
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 04:59:56 PM by powernoodle »
:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

us Offline flbeachbum

Reply #50 on: March 18, 2017, 09:29:33 PM
As a former paramedic student and a nationally registered EMT I am not a big fan of hands only CPR. While there is a small amount of oxygen left in the blood, it gets less and less as it is circulated through the body. They do not teach hands only to medical professionals for a reason. Even the DOC requires me to perform full CPR when we recertify every two years.

I think the new public push to hands only CPR is to encourage the average person to do SOMETHING. Something is better than nothing I guess. At least that's what I've been told by my medical friends. Despite what tv may lead you to believe, the fact is that a very low percentage of people survive even with full CPR. It is most effective in people whose  cardiac arrest was brought on as a result of drownings and other trauma. People whose cardiac arrest is a result of underlying medical problems do not fare well long term at all.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: March 18, 2017, 09:52:33 PM

It is most effective in people whose  cardiac arrest was brought on as a result of drownings and other trauma. People whose cardiac arrest is a result of underlying medical problems do not fare well long term at all.

Last year there was a TV show on air that displayed the life of EMC helicopter doctors who went to medical emergencies within minutes.

Your post made me realise that, indeed, people pulled from the water after drowning usualy recovered completely thanks to CPR performed by bystanders.

People who suffered from a cardiac arrest during, for example, cycling were usualy less lucky...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #52 on: March 18, 2017, 10:08:40 PM
As a former paramedic student and a nationally registered EMT I am not a big fan of hands only CPR. While there is a small amount of oxygen left in the blood, it gets less and less as it is circulated through the body. They do not teach hands only to medical professionals for a reason. Even the DOC requires me to perform full CPR when we recertify every two years.

I think the new public push to hands only CPR is to encourage the average person to do SOMETHING. Something is better than nothing I guess. At least that's what I've been told by my medical friends. Despite what tv may lead you to believe, the fact is that a very low percentage of people survive even with full CPR. It is most effective in people whose  cardiac arrest was brought on as a result of drownings and other trauma. People whose cardiac arrest is a result of underlying medical problems do not fare well long term at all.

You hit the nail on the head, and this is exactly the reason I commented on wearing gloves.  I also need to get a mask or two.

The fact is, people will hesitate before putting their mouths on that of a complete stranger's, and that hesitation can make a huge difference, all else being equal.  By getting people to concentrate on hands only, it eliminates the concern, and therefore hesitation of performing mouth to mouth.

I wasn't aware that the percentage of survivors was that low- I have actually never been in a position where CPR was actually necessary, although I have been in situations where people have multiple lacerations and puncture wounds, or broken bones.

Def

us Offline flbeachbum

Reply #53 on: March 18, 2017, 10:46:53 PM
If I remember correctly the last CPR survival rates available from the AHA was 12% for out of hospital CPR and 24% for cardiac arrest that took place in the hospital. Not very encouraging either way. Still, I carry gloves and a CPR mask in my truck just in case.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: March 19, 2017, 01:02:12 AM
I have never been in the situation where CPR was needed either (thankfully) but that is one of the main reasons I carry a CPR mask (I don't want to have to hesitate about trying to help someone or potentially saving someones life) :salute:

Good discussion :tu: Also that reminds me that it is almost time for a refresher course :cheers:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: March 20, 2017, 08:49:59 PM
I have never been in the situation where CPR was needed either (thankfully) but that is one of the main reasons I carry a CPR mask (I don't want to have to hesitate about trying to help someone or potentially saving someones life) :salute:

Good discussion :tu: Also that reminds me that it is almost time for a refresher course :cheers:
I carried a CPR mask in my bag but it was so bulky I had to leave other stuff at home...

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #56 on: March 20, 2017, 08:53:11 PM

I carried a CPR mask in my bag but it was so bulky I had to leave other stuff at home...

The kind I have is very portable and takes very little space up :tu: It is even designed (the small.pouch it comes in) with a split ring for key chain carry :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%