Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CRKT Homefront?

Grathr · 21 · 1231

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
CRKT Homefront?
on: July 27, 2016, 07:32:17 PM
Saw a video on youtube about the new CRKT Homefront, and wondered if anyone here has played with one?
I really like the consept and the way it looks.
For some reason I cant open the CRKT website, but here is a link to a video of it.

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline metasyntax

Re: CRKT Homefront?
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 08:12:37 PM
I think the field strip concept is really cool, hopefully it will make it onto other designs, because I really do not like the styling on this one — and that flipper! It just ain't my thing. Not sure how I feel about the price either, KnifeCenter is saying about $100 and for just a bit more you can get a PM2, which I would much prefer to this knife. I love the CRKT is trying crazy stuff like this though.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 08:17:46 PM
I think the field strip concept is really cool, hopefully it will make it onto other designs, because I really do not like the styling on this one — and that flipper! It just ain't my thing. Not sure how I feel about the price either, KnifeCenter is saying about $100 and for just a bit more you can get a PM2, which I would much prefer to this knife. I love the CRKT is trying crazy stuff like this though.

They don't care to think outside the box that's for sure :cheers:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 09:17:49 PM

They don't care to think outside the box that's for sure :cheers:

Im really curious about how well that design work. Maybe if the price drops, Ill get one.
It would be great if it finds it ways to other designs if its good.

They really do come up with some interesting designs and are not afraid to put them into production. :tu:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 09:18:52 PM by Grathr »

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 10:29:37 PM
 :gimme:

That's pretty damn brilliant, and it's a PE blade!! :woohoo:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 11:50:56 PM
This reminds me why I like their knives...

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

no Offline Grathr

Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 06:33:10 AM
Someone should get one and review it for us... :pok:
:D

us Offline David

Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 07:48:16 AM
Very interesting!
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 08:33:20 AM
I'm leaning completely the other way, watched a lot of videos, I want to like it but I don't trust it.

More than willing to give it a fondle and have my mind changed.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 09:01:46 AM
I'm leaning completely the other way, watched a lot of videos, I want to like it but I don't trust it.

Thats the question isnt it? Will it hold up over time?

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 09:04:56 AM
I've spent a bit of time looking at these online.

Like a lot of CRKT stuff, I really like the concept, but it doesn't quite "hit the spot" for me.

I like that it disassembles, and I  like the overall profile.

I'm not a big fan of the (tyre tread? tank track?) grip along the back of the handle,
Not being from the US, the "Army Star" doesn't particularly appeal to me.

I might be unnecessarily concerned, but the cutout in the "tang"(?) for the pivot guide piece doesn't fill me with confidence.

If I didn't know it was there, I'd probably never notice, but there you go.

(I'm also reasonably confident that in the "mud shot" it was jammed into the ground after being disassembled, but that is neither here nor there.

But, like others have said, I applaud CRKT for always having a crack at new designs, and I hope they get enough sales to make a few more models with a similar concept, and keep the R&D going for new tools.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 09:25:09 AM
My first thought when I saw it, was that this must be great for hunting. fishing and general outdoor activity. Thats when the knife usually gets gunked up real fast, and could use a quick cleanup. Thats a feature soldiers and farmers also would apriciate.
None of the reviews I have seen so far (havent seen that many) has had that focus though. They all focus on general EDC.
I would like to read what someone who has really put it through its paces think of it.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 06:01:30 PM

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 09:43:26 PM
I have several CRKT knives and they are all of very good quality so I would assume that this one is as well. I also have a couple of knives that are capable of being disassembled for cleaning:A Browne & Pharr 2 blade and a Buck 186 Titan.
The B&P is a small pen knife that was made in very limited quantities in the mid-1970's and sold for about $40 then;expensive considering you could buy a decent basic custom knife for that. They were extremely well made and today sell for some pretty serious money.
The Buck Titan is another story. The first ones featured  being able to be disassembled by means of a small Allen wrench that was affixed to one side of the front bolster.It was made of titanium and also featured a pocket clip that could be used if you didn't want to use the sheath.There was also a clear sleeve that fitted over the blade;presumably to keep you from being cut when you took the knife apart.The price on them was about $65 when a Buck 110 cost less than $30.
They came out a short time later with the same knife but this one could not be disassembled.Apparently the take down feature wasn't all that popular. My problem with it was that the small screws were fairly easy to drop(lose)when disassembling or assembling the knife.This would probably be worse if your hands were cold or covered with blood.
Back to the CRKT: My main complaint about it(maybe unjustified)is that the thumb wheel at the rear of the knife might be hard to keep in adjustment and might even loosen up during hard use.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 02:31:04 AM

That's what she said...

:rofl: :rofl:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 02:41:27 AM
Good for them for outside of the box thinking and taking a chance.  Stuff like this IMO stirs the creative pot sometimes. 
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 05:25:23 AM
This would probably be worse if your hands were cold or covered with blood

Unlike all those other activities that are easier when your hands in are covered in blood?  :-\

None of the reviews I have seen so far (havent seen that many) has had that focus though. They all focus on general EDC.

Doing the dishes doesn't look good on youtube.
Do you know what does look good (apparently) - unboxing ceremonies, flipper/oho displays, and praising (or bemoaning) the factory sharpening job.

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 06:16:32 AM

Unlike all those other activities that are easier when your hands in are covered in blood?  :-\.

Good one lol. The scenario I was picturing was if you had just finished cleaning an animal and wanted to clean up your knife before putting it away. The chances are that it would occur in winter(thus the cold hand reference)and that your hands were covered with the animal's blood as there was no easy access to the proper plumbing. :D

no Offline Grathr

Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 07:28:36 AM

Unlike all those other activities that are easier when your hands in are covered in blood?  :-\

Doing the dishes doesn't look good on youtube.
Do you know what does look good (apparently) - unboxing ceremonies, flipper/oho displays, and praising (or bemoaning) the factory sharpening job.

Beeing a scary serialkiller in a horror movie is probably easier with blood on your hands. :D

And the whole unboxing, flipping thing is really unintresting to watch allright.

Unlike all those other activities that are easier when your hands in are covered in blood?  :-\.

Good one lol. The scenario I was picturing was if you had just finished cleaning an animal and wanted to clean up your knife before putting it away. The chances are that it would occur in winter(thus the cold hand reference)and that your hands were covered with the animal's blood as there was no easy access to the proper plumbing. :D

Just operating a MT can be a smurf when your hands are cold. So I see your point!
I imagine the CRKT Homefront can be hard to reasemble with cold fingers as well.

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 28, 2017, 12:43:53 AM
So....Anyone get one?

They are now offering a variation at a cheaper price point (polymer handles, different steel, slightly different blade profiles...)

https://www.crkt.com/shop/everyday-carry-knives/homefront-edc.html
https://www.crkt.com/shop/hunting-knives/homefront-hunter.html

If the $150 one goes for $78 the $99 should go for $51.50....

« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 12:52:26 AM by Sea Monster »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #20 on: May 28, 2017, 02:50:34 AM
Firstly, I have to say that on the whole, I have been very pleased with CRKT knives that I have owned. If I was in the market for a new modern folder, CRKT would definitely be one of the brands whose current product line would be scrutinised.

I think the concept of this knife is excellent, and I really like the look too. However for me there are two main problems, and potentially a minor one.

Over here, they are £90 each, and when I look for a new knife, I'm generally looking for something up to £35-£40, so this is outside my field of vision in that respect.

Next, this falls under the same legal criteria as a fixed blade - which is stronger, doesn't need disassembling to clean, and can easily fall within the price bracket I'm likely to consider.

Also, looking at the video, it isn't clear if the liner freely comes away. If not, there's part of the tool which isn't as easy to thoroughly clean.

Nice, and if I wasn't financially scuppered, it would be an interesting one to buy and try. However, it wouldn't get carried here, because I'd be reaching for a fixed blade.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD