Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Stories at Security Checkpoint

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Stories at Security Checkpoint
on: July 27, 2016, 10:08:50 PM
Starting a thread to share interesting stories at Security Checkpoint.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: Stories at Security Checkpoint
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 10:23:30 PM
Last week, we went to visit the OUE Skyspace LA, to experience California’s tallest open-air observation deck and the premiere destination for panoramic, 360-degree views of Los Angeles.

https://www.skyspace-la.com/

:o Surprise! There is a security checkpoint in the lobby, of course I was stopped at the metal detector.

:pok: The guard pointed at my pocket: "Sir, you got something in there." 

:think: I replied, "It is my pocket knife."

:twak: "You must leave that at the security desk."

:shrug: Ok, so I went to the security desk told the girl there I am going leave my knife with her; I pulled it out the Espada and hang it over.

:sa: "OH MY GOD! You got the biggest one I ever seen!!!" She said. 

:cheers: On the way out I went pick it up, she told me a couple theirs guards had been checking my Espada out  :drool: , and it officially made history in the tower, being the BIGGEST knife ever tried to enter the attraction.

Observation deck

There is an infinity mirror that you can stand on, and that looks like you are going to fall through the building. It was a little creepy to stand on but super cool. Oh yes, my Spirit tool went through undetected.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 10:37:21 PM by Kampfer »

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 11:14:35 PM
Nice story with the Espada, I get similar reactions with my Recon1XL

Years ago I was called for jury duty so I knew I couldn't carry anything. Being broke at the time a McD's Happy meal was my most affordable lunch since I needed the rest of the 15$comp elsewhere till pay. When I went back through the check and emptied my pockets the deputy just stopped with this befuddled look on his face; "Sir, whats with the panda"

* po.jpeg (Filesize: 31.28 KB)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 11:17:03 PM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

us Offline cody6268

Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 11:20:03 PM
Incident occured in late 2015: When asked by a security guard at the Social Security Office to have the name corrected on my  SS card.   

Tools carried: Vic (Explorer or Fieldmaster,if I remember correctly) and Leatherman PST II. 

Guard asks me, "got any knives or guns on you?"  I'd took them out of my pockets and into the car's seatback map compartment before, so I reply, "Nope, left them in the car".  Grandmother tells me, "Cody, you know that could have been misconstrued as me having a gun in the car".   To this date, I still laugh that off.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 11:28:08 PM
I once had my Rebar in my pocket at the entrance of a club. The guard asked me whether I had a knife, I naively said yes. I was asked to leave it "somewhere" since they were not allowed to keep it for me. So I went out to the back of the building, lifted a lose block on the pavement, put the Rebar there and covered it with the block again. It was still there when we came back a couple of hours later :)  :multi:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 11:36:17 PM
Not just the one time, but every time I go through a checkpoint, when asked if I have any guns or knives I respond with a conspiratorial whisper of ,"what do you need?"  Usually gets at least a chuckle out of the guards who have a rather mundane job.  It did, once, result in a couple of deputies (who didn't share my sense of humor) pushing me against the wall and frisking me. :facepalm:

us Offline Pacu

Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 11:48:36 PM
Having flown in or out of all major US airports i know which ones are gonna hassle me more than the next. Minneapolis is by far is the most hard ass when it comes to baggage check and TSA checkpoint. MSP wouldn't let me go as i had an expired Texas drivers license so i had to go thru security all over again. Once the air sniffer picked up trace " whatever " on my Moab 10 sling bag, Once i got to get frisked in the red zone for no reason.

Chicago O'hare easy, Houston Bush easy, New Orleans missed a Vic Farmer and a zippo in my carry on, Hobby in Houston is super easy. LaGardia in NYC is a true biotch. Atlanta is a nightmare. I carried my wave on my hip by accident from Houston to Denver no problem. Now Denver coming back is brutal i guess from the weed smuggling back home.

Don't carry a backpack around Washing DC. Bag checks every 5 meters. Disneyworld has bag checks all militant style but no metal detectors . Some guy in front of us took his beer out of his bag and put it in his pockets. Talk about forced false security.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 12:00:14 AM
I have yet to really have a problem, although flying to London I was at the hotel and since I was leaving my car there they wanted the keys, but only the car keys and fob.  After taking them off I notice the classic on the ring and asked if they could keep it, after some hemming and hawing the lady said no so I ask for my keys back and just put all the rest of my keys and classic in the car and locked up. 

Also stopped by the British library and so my suitcase had to be checked. 

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 12:09:04 AM
Not just the one time, but every time I go through a checkpoint, when asked if I have any guns or knives I respond with a conspiratorial whisper of ,"what do you need?"  Usually gets at least a chuckle out of the guards who have a rather mundane job.  It did, once, result in a couple of deputies (who didn't share my sense of humor) pushing me against the wall and frisking me. :facepalm:

:rofl:
I love your technique, though :)  :tu:

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 04:48:40 AM
Security Guard: Do you have "A" gun on you?
shark_za(stopping by on the way home from the shooting range):  No I have three.
Security Guard: hahaha, come inside

england Offline Kev D

Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 12:52:19 PM
I tried to be clever at the check in desk at Tulsa airport many years ago. I noticed they were doing 'random' security checks, that seemed to be every 5th person. On counting the people in the queue I realised I was going to get a 'random' check. When a person wanted to push in I gladly let them in chuckling to myself that they will get the security check. Sadly nope, it back fired and I got hit with the check, which follows you through every check point, right up to boarding the plane. In Tulsa airport there are 2 more between the check in desk and the plane.

Serves me right I suppose for trying to be mean to someone else.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 03:52:47 AM
Last time I was hit by a checkpoint, the skippy little bugger asked me "Sir, do you have any weapons on you?" It was the courthouse, so I was already indecently attired. I felt I could reply "Nope- I usually find them when I need them."

Broke his poor little brain.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 09:40:51 PM
I remember in basic training at Lackland one had to guard the dorm from non authorized entry. I was my turn and some TSgt from another flight wanted in. There was a little window in the door so i could see him and he could see me. He full on yelled at me to open up, beat on the door, kicked it. Told me i was heading to the confinement facility for disobeying orders and started quoting stuff from UCMJ. Sorry , but no authentication, no entry were standing orders. Then a team of TIs were outside the door demanding entrance. I was sweating bullets. Thank god i held my ground as they were testing airmen on proper security procedures. I got a good job, Airman and got 1 hour of personal time for reward , which is huge in basic training.

The next week some poor guy just opened the door without properly IDing the TSgt.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: 

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 11:24:21 PM
  Disneyland LA, snagged my tactical pen, You have the option to take back to your car or surrender.
Damn metal detectors. Well someone at Disney is walking around with my pen.
CHEERS

us Offline Pacu

Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 11:32:12 PM
i'd break it right there in front of them, then hand it over.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 11:36:12 PM
  Disneyland LA, snagged my tactical pen, You have the option to take back to your car or surrender.
The same setup at Universal Studios LA, luckily I left the Espada in our car.
The spirit got through undetected.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 11:38:37 PM
At Legoland, bag check for alcoholic beverages, no metal detector.

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #17 on: July 30, 2016, 12:14:42 AM
i'd break it right there in front of them, then hand it over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CHEERS

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #18 on: July 30, 2016, 12:15:21 AM
The same setup at Universal Studios LA, luckily I left the Espada in our car.
The spirit got through undetected.
Good call !

CHEERS

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #19 on: July 30, 2016, 12:17:11 AM
It really sucks that the good folks can't carry. I use to love taking photos of my multi tools at Disney, it's a bummer.

CHEERS

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #20 on: July 31, 2016, 04:38:23 PM
This story just came out on cbc news:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/airport-security-guns-teargas-1.3701532

Keep in mind that this is Canada where firearms and other "weapons" are under fairly heavy regulation.

Worst that ever happened to me/us, was coming home from  Nicaragua.  Bought two small jars of guava/rum jam as gifts and had them seized in yet another security check in Houston.  Didn't even get a taste.

John.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 31, 2016, 04:45:25 PM
Mrs. Tj and I went to Disneyworld for vacation and bought a bottle of Guinness HP Sauce in Epcot. Forgot to pack it the right way and lost it at the checkpoint at Orlando Airport.  :rant:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 01, 2016, 12:10:22 AM
My mother got through at a local airport with her Wenger Commander. They took it and had a look at it but handed it back "since she was a woman".

A friend had never flown and turned up at the airport with a large pair of scissors when we where going for a trip with our class. I explained that they wouldn't get them through security so she went to the toilet and hid them in the ceiling, they where still there a week later when we got back.

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #23 on: August 01, 2016, 02:25:12 PM
I went through TSA in Seattle with my Wave in my backpack without a hiccup (unintentionally), but had a Doohickey on my keychain in Huntsville and got the full meal deal; extra screening, bag search, pointed interview...afterwards when I asked why they said that if they find an "artfully disguised" device they assume the person has more. i also got the love note in my checked bag that said they had inspected it as well. I'm sure I'm on some kind of watch list now.
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 02:43:55 PM
Lost a sideclip to the Spanish version of the TSA in Monterrey. Forgot to throw it in my check bagged. I remembered it and threw it in my back pack in hopes no issues. Of course the xray picked it up. Told the guy it was just a pair of pliers. He made me open each tool. The knife was my last open in hopes he would say all good prior to it. Unfortunately someone in Mexico is the proud owner of a sideclip, Live and learn.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #25 on: August 01, 2016, 03:13:02 PM
I went through TSA in Seattle with my Wave in my backpack without a hiccup (unintentionally), but had a Doohickey on my keychain in Huntsville and got the full meal deal; extra screening, bag search, pointed interview...afterwards when I asked why they said that if they find an "artfully disguised" device they assume the person has more. i also got the love note in my checked bag that said they had inspected it as well. I'm sure I'm on some kind of watch list now.

People are always saying TSA agents are idiots. Now, I don't have any experiences with them and wouldn't want to jump to conclusions, so I won't say that.

Then again. . . It does sound like they thought a Leatherman was some kind of black market sabotage device, so one may form an opinion or two based upon that  :angel:

us Offline Joseph Gonzalez

Reply #26 on: August 08, 2016, 02:08:29 AM
Around 2004, I took my wife and daughter to Sea World in San Antonio,Texas. As usual, it was a long walk from the car to the entrance gate. We were standing in line waiting to go in and I noticed police officers up ahead checking people's bags and purses before they went in. I happened to be wearing my favorite knife - a custom Barry Dawson neck knife in a kydex sheath. It was a little fixed blade knife about five inches overall. I had looped the neck cord so that I could dangle it from my belt upside down.

Having recently moved from California, my first thought was "Oh s--t, I'm going to lose my favorite knife." I thought of taking it back to the car, but I didn't want to take the time to do so, so I figured I would just let them confiscate it. When I got to the front of the line, one of the officers asked me if I had any outside food or water. I said no and he waved me through. I asked him if he was going to say anything about the knife. "I noticed that," he said, "I was about to ask you where you got it." "You mean I can take it in?" I asked, "Back in California I'd be getting tackled right about now." He just laughed and said things were different in Texas. Then he asked me for the name of the knife maker and waved me through.

I really miss that "carry what you want, just be polite about it" attitude they had in Texas. Now I'm in living in California again and people freak out about knives. At least I'm making sure my 15 year-old daughter understands the value of a good knife. One of her birthday presents was a purple Spyderco Dragonfly. She puts it in her pocket whenever she goes to Grandma's (they both love gardening). She's also starting a Victorinox collection.     
Regards,

Joe Gonzalez

"Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a day; set him on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life."

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #27 on: November 04, 2016, 12:01:19 PM

Well, what can I say...

Show content

8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: November 04, 2016, 12:02:38 PM
Having flown in or out of all major US airports i know which ones are gonna hassle me more than the next. Minneapolis is by far is the most hard ass when it comes to baggage check and TSA checkpoint. MSP wouldn't let me go as i had an expired Texas drivers license so i had to go thru security all over again. Once the air sniffer picked up trace " whatever " on my Moab 10 sling bag, Once i got to get frisked in the red zone for no reason.

Chicago O'hare easy, Houston Bush easy, New Orleans missed a Vic Farmer and a zippo in my carry on, Hobby in Houston is super easy. LaGardia in NYC is a true biotch. Atlanta is a nightmare. I carried my wave on my hip by accident from Houston to Denver no problem. Now Denver coming back is brutal i guess from the weed smuggling back home.

Don't carry a backpack around Washing DC. Bag checks every 5 meters. Disneyworld has bag checks all militant style but no metal detectors . Some guy in front of us took his beer out of his bag and put it in his pockets. Talk about forced false security.

Major US!

:salute:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: November 04, 2016, 12:06:03 PM
Last time I was hit by a checkpoint, the skippy little bugger asked me "Sir, do you have any weapons on you?" It was the courthouse, so I was already indecently attired. I felt I could reply "Nope- I usually find them when I need them."

Broke his poor little brain.

:like:

Also, I'm planning on get a pin with this (or similar):

« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 12:08:04 PM by pfrsantos »

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD