Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wanting a new gerber

us Offline cosmose

Wanting a new gerber
on: July 31, 2016, 05:11:50 AM
Hi guys I've been on a gerber kick and plan to pick up a new one soon either a 400 or 600 :think:. I was at academy and noticed that the pivot/rivet that holds the handles together (not sure what its called) looked different from the older models, it looked almost plastic? is it sturdy? and how does the newer style blades cut? 

Thanks for any info :)

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Re: Wanting a new gerber
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 05:39:50 AM
The only plastic on a 4/600 is the lock release tabs.  Buy either with confidence, they're both tanks. :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline cosmose

Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 05:51:37 AM
The only plastic on a 4/600 is the lock release tabs.  Buy either with confidence, they're both tanks. :tu:

Thanks, I couldn't really tell with it being in a clam package i was afraid they had cheapen out and went with something weird.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 05:53:05 AM
Are you sure it wasn't a Gerber Diesel?

It is very closely related to the standard MP600, with some important differences, namely the woodsaw, scissors, combo blade, and 2.5 Dimensional Phillips driver. It also is made in China, but is very well made, and you would never know it from the quality.

The middle rivet is still metal, just stamped with a fancy design. The blade is also longer than the Mp600s, but is combo edged, while the MP600 usually has dedicated PE and serrated blades. It cuts just as well as the MP blade, IMO.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline cosmose

Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 06:05:59 AM
(Image removed from quote.)
It is very closely related to the standard MP600, with some important differences, namely the woodsaw, scissors, combo blade, and 2.5 Dimensional Phillips driver. It also is made in China, but is very well made, and you would never know it from the quality.

The middle rivet is still metal, just stamped with a fancy design. The blade is also longer than the Mp600s, but is combo edged, while the MP600 usually has dedicated PE and serrated blades. It cuts just as well as the MP blade, IMO.

That's the one, Is the 400 and 600 still made in the usa? I'm leaning towards the 400 just wished it had a saw

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 06:19:54 AM

That's the one, Is the 400 and 600 still made in the usa? I'm leaning towards the 400 just wished it had a saw
The 600 is still made in the US, and I believe the 400 is too. Both are good frames, although I would discourage you from dismising the Diesel so quickly. It really is a high quality tool, easily on par with the MP600.

Alternatively The MP600 Pro Scout has a jigsaw blade exchanger, which can accept u-shank wood jigsaw blades, if you would rather go that route.

If you like the MP400, you should know it has a sister, the MP450. It is a litle less common, but it swaps the scissors for a file, if that interests you.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 06:39:48 AM
Both of these guys know there Gerber stuff cosmose :tu: and I personally would take their advice on any of the above mentioned Gerbers :cheers:

us Offline cosmose

Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 06:45:19 AM

The 600 is still made in the US, and I believe the 400 is too. Both are good frames, although I would discourage you from dismising the Diesel so quickly. It really is a high quality tool, easily on par with the MP600.

Alternatively The MP600 Pro Scout has a jigsaw blade exchanger, which can accept u-shank wood jigsaw blades, if you would rather go that route.

If you like the MP400, you should know it has a sister, the MP450. It is a litle less common, but it swaps the scissors for a file, if that interests you.

I haven't dismissed the diesel, I was just curious about the others. I do really like the compactness of the 400 and lean towards it, scissors are a must for me but a saw is a close second. :think:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 06:48:00 AM by cosmose »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 03:31:46 PM
Yeah, it's a shame the 400 doesn't come with a saw.  What you need is a Victorinox Camper or Hiker to go with it. :D  Lack of saw aside the 400 is probably my "go to" Gerber.  I do however agree that the Diesel is a good tool as well and the scissors and saw on that a both excellent.  Unlike some I'm also a fan of the Flik, but while the scissors on that are top notch the saw is a bit of a let-down.  Not awful, but really doesn't remove material quickly enough.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline cosmose

Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 05:59:41 PM
Yeah, it's a shame the 400 doesn't come with a saw.  What you need is a Victorinox Camper or Hiker to go with it. :D  Lack of saw aside the 400 is probably my "go to" Gerber.  I do however agree that the Diesel is a good tool as well and the scissors and saw on that a both excellent.  Unlike some I'm also a fan of the Flik, but while the scissors on that are top notch the saw is a bit of a let-down.  Not awful, but really doesn't remove material quickly enough.

That's actually what i'm thinking, it would be a good excuse to buy the new walker model :D I'm a huge sak fan. I have a flik too and agree on the saw it's just not the best

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 08:39:28 PM
I'll just parrot the other guys and agree that you can't go far wrong with a 400 or 600. And if you get a model that lacks scissors, just pair it with a SAK!  :climber:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%