Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Utilex.....pliers?

J-sews · 10 · 1891

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Utilex.....pliers?
on: July 31, 2016, 05:13:44 PM
I've seen several British-made "Utilex" combination wrenches (left) over the years, but I didn't know there was a plier tool (right) as well...?

The wrench tool combines an adjustable spanner, a hammer, and a nail claw on one end. It has a file cut into the handle, a ruler on the opposite side, and a screwdriver at the end. I think Yadda has posted about them here before...? :think:  The British patent for the wrench was issued in July of 1946, and they (the wrenches) were imported to the U.S. in the early 1950's.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Utilex.....pliers?
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 05:18:45 PM
But the plier tool is a new one on me. ???  I bought it from a seller in England, so perhaps it was never imported into the U.S.?  It is stamped NIK-NOK on one side. 

In addition to the pliers there is a hammer and a nail claw, arranged like what is often called a "fencing plier" amongst old tool collectors. Along the face of one handle there are file teeth, with a blunt screwdriver at the very end.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 10:16:18 AM
You do like your old and unusual "pliery" MTs, don't you Bob ?   :pok:  :D

I can't help thinking that file handle would tear up my soft hands if I tried to use it much, but I guess the intended market probably had pretty tough skin on their hands from lots of manual work  ;)
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 10:34:57 AM
Hey Bob - check this out - it seems that the gap at back of the jaw when closed was supposed to be a glass-breaking tool! The following patent application includes a scoring tool too, but maybe that didn't make the final design (?)

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?DB=worldwide.espacenet.com&II=0&ND=3&adjacent=true&locale=en_EP&FT=D&date=19460726&CC=GB&NR=579210A&KC=A

PDF of Patent application: http://www.adjustable.archivist.info/patents/GB/1946/GB579210A.pdf

I just googled the brand Utilex (as you do) and one thing lead to another :D
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 05:49:00 AM
You do like your old and unusual "pliery" MTs, don't you Bob ?   :pok:  :D

I can't help thinking that file handle would tear up my soft hands if I tried to use it much, but I guess the intended market probably had pretty tough skin on their hands from lots of manual work  ;)

Indeed, they were no doubt a lot tougher folks back in those days Greg! :viking: :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 05:59:37 AM
Hey Bob - check this out - it seems that the gap at back of the jaw when closed was supposed to be a glass-breaking tool! The following patent application includes a scoring tool too, but maybe that didn't make the final design (?)

I just googled the brand Utilex (as you do) and one thing lead to another :D

Thanks Dave, very interesting! There is no trace of a cavity remaining on mine, and none on the other examples I've seen of this wrench, so probably you are correct in that the glass tool did not get incorporated into the production version. :-\ But other than that missing feature though it seems to be pretty faithful to the patent drawing. :salute:

Also of interest, I stumbled across an old magazine advertisement for the wrench, from 1950:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 08:53:42 AM
That is cool!
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 02:57:23 AM
$5,  plierenches were selling for $7.50 around that time. 
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 04:30:28 AM
Both of those tools are so very neat Bob :o :cheers:

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 04:35:20 AM
Cool tools Bob and good write up!   8)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD