Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

multitool with led - how could I pass it up

ca Offline jcs0001

multitool with led - how could I pass it up
on: August 08, 2016, 02:59:34 AM
I answered a local online ad for a "gerber multitool" - unknown what model however a bit of a description lead me to believe it was an mp400.  Photos provided were stock photos for something different.

I spoke to the lady this morning and she indicated she had a collection of multitools for sale.  I was at her door very soon thereafter and found this one along with three others that I purchased.  The others were a version 4 gerber multiplier, an mp400 and a leatherman juice s2.  These 3 were in various states, certainly not in new condition.

She had a number of other multitools - promotional items - generally cheap and cheerful and not of interest to me.

This appears to be a promotional "gift" from Andritz Hydro.  Andritz is an Austrian company in the hydroelectric field as far as I can find.  Not unlikely that they would do work in Canada however I have no idea where this tool came from.

The tool has only one other marking at the base of the OHO blade - "stainless China".

It does however have an led which points in the general direction of the plier tips.  You can see it and the "on" button in the next photo:

The tool loadout is shown below:

Unfortunately the batteries take up a big space.

The tool is not a finger pincher - pliers are spring loaded:

The led does not work - much to my disappointment.  I replaced the batteries and that did not help.  The contacts appear to be alright so it may be the small circuit board held within the tool.  I may eventually take it apart and try to figure that out.

The tool came with quite a nice cordura sheath.  It is likely worth what I paid for the tool.

Pros:
- very nice OHO outside blade with liner lock.  Very easy to open and no play whatsoever.
- tools snap in place firmly - they do not lock however.
- blade was easy to get very sharp - no idea how it will hold up.
- scissors
- pliers are very smooth, spring loaded and no play at all.
- put together with hex head screws so should be fairly easy to dissemble and adjust.
- build appears to be very solid (considering I haven't really used them this is my first impression)
- decent sheath

Cons:
- scissors don't work that well - I may sharpen them and see it that helps.
- led isn't working
- tool is quite heavy - about the same as a wave.
- can opener is very stiff - needs another tool to open it.
- black finish may be some type of paint - I noticed a number of small nicks already and it hasn't seen use.

John.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: multitool with led - how could I pass it up
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 07:17:36 PM
Nice find. Reminds me a lot of one of my latest acquisitions from this thread...

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,67603.0.html

Does yours have 2 LED lights, one facing towards the pliers, another hidden on the other side like mine?
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 09:51:13 PM
Chako

You are correct.  Didn't even notice but there is another led at the back end of the same handle as the button and led pointing towards the pliers. 

It looks very much the same as yours.  If you don't mind me asking where did you find your version?

Thanks,

John.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 05:41:19 AM
Found mine at Canadian Tire.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 11:21:24 AM
   I own two multitools that are almost the same thing. One is called the Fire Talon. I got it off Amazon for about $35.00. I thought it was a pretty good deal until I went to Sears, and they had a Craftsman version for about half the price. The Craftsman has a silver and red shell and a non serrated blade. It also has one tool that is different, but I cannot find it now to look. The lights on both tools work great. I would still love to find a full sized multitool that has pliers and a flashlight powered by a AAA battery. The closest I have come so far is the Gerber Fit, but it has no pliers. Anyhow, I may post pics of the Fire Talon and Sears tool this eve if there is an interest.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 12:19:47 PM
This forum does love photography,.  :D

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 03:38:35 PM
Yes, please do post some photos.

John.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 11:15:37 AM
  And here they are!

I think they are good budget multi's. I like the full sized blades and the dual led's. Too bad only the knife blades lock, but I got them because they are unique.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 11:19:16 AM by mikekoz »

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 11:59:06 PM
Mikekoz

A bit late but thanks for posting the photos.

John

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 09:12:37 PM
Hi everyone.
I saw the thread and IIRC these tools were all made under the same manufacturer, the Chinese brand Tekut, and some of them rebranded or labeled with other names for export and overseas selling.
Like most China made tools...

Just my 0.02$
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 12:51:59 AM
ThePeacent

Thanks for the info.

I tried the scissors a bit more and they actually are not too bad.  The area next to the pivot does not cut well but the remaining part of the blades cuts cloth, paper and cardboard rather well.

John

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD