Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fisher space pen sized flashlight?

kaput · 15 · 1302

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Fisher space pen sized flashlight?
on: January 07, 2017, 05:52:21 AM
Is there a flashlight that is no bigger in diameter (and height or close, this is flexible) than a fisher space pen?

I'm asking because I have a custom leather holder for both a knife and pen, but wouldn't mind carrying a light instead at times if at all possible.

It'd be great if a nice light with good quality and features fit the build. Like a Prometheus beta qr, something along those lines.

Thanks MTo  :D
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Fisher space pen sized flashlight?
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 04:35:00 PM
The only light I can think of is a Mag Lite Solitaire, but then I'm hardly an expert on lights.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 05:17:03 PM
How about the Olight i3S EOS?

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 05:35:26 PM
I  can't think of any right now, but if you want the DIAMETER to be similar, then you should think of some special button cells or other type of cells or charging mechanism... or a USB charged flashlight. I'm not familiar with the pens you mention, but since it's a pen, I doubt that an AAA battery + the flashlight =/< then the diameter of the case.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 05:40:08 PM
My Smiling Shark 3W SS-5049 is pretty good... small and ridiculously cheap.

Size: 12.5x1.3cm
Weight: 31g (not included battery)

My Led Lenser K2L is 6 cm long and weighs 21 grams.

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 10:44:37 PM
If the diameter is the deciding factor, then like N_N_R says, probably all AAA lights are going to be too fat, just because of the battery size.  Maybe have a look for an AAAA light instead ?  Of course your battery choices are limited in that size.

Here is an older discussion about AAAA lights:
https://edcforums.com/threads/any-aaaa-lights-on-the-market.85557/

Don't get too excited about the Klarus Mi X5, they seem to have all gone some time ago.

Here's one that you can actually buy now (but it only has a 5mm LED so not very bright):
http://www.batteryjunction.com/streamlight-stylus-3-opt.html

These might give you some ideas
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 11:05:59 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 11:12:04 PM
thrunite T01 probably smallest AAA, 125 lumens very nice light, check amazon currently about $10

like the other guys said you wont get the diameter of spacepen with AAA, but this light is about 1"shorter than pen(closed)

my suggestion is keep pen in that holster and put one of these on key ring, u wont even notice it, or grab Jetbeam mini, very tiny and micro usb recgaragable

here is both side by side, great lights:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 11:28:12 PM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 07:17:53 PM

(Image removed from quote.)
Just ordered one. That one in fact. We'll see, it'll be cutting it close for sure. Especially because the head of light is even a tad bigger. But I've been eyeballing that little light for a while now anyway.

Thanks for the comparison picture.   :tu:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 07:19:12 PM
I  can't think of any right now, but if you want the DIAMETER to be similar, then you should think of some special button cells or other type of cells or charging mechanism... or a USB charged flashlight. I'm not familiar with the pens you mention, but since it's a pen, I doubt that an AAA battery + the flashlight =/< then the diameter of the case.
Yeah it's gonna be a snug fit. The leather will stretch a little bit as well. So my fingers are crossed.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 07:20:23 PM
My Smiling Shark 3W SS-5049 is pretty good... small and ridiculously cheap.

Size: 12.5x1.3cm
Weight: 31g (not included battery)

My Led Lenser K2L is 6 cm long and weighs 21 grams.
Thanks. That smiling shark is $2.89 which is quite affordable to test out. Good looking shape too.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 07:22:29 PM
If the diameter is the deciding factor, then like N_N_R says, probably all AAA lights are going to be too fat, just because of the battery size.  Maybe have a look for an AAAA light instead ?  Of course your battery choices are limited in that size.

Here is an older discussion about AAAA lights:
https://edcforums.com/threads/any-aaaa-lights-on-the-market.85557/

Don't get too excited about the Klarus Mi X5, they seem to have all gone some time ago.

Here's one that you can actually buy now (but it only has a 5mm LED so not very bright):
http://www.batteryjunction.com/streamlight-stylus-3-opt.html

These might give you some ideas
You're right. I'm thinking aaaa will be the ideal way to go. Thank you for the links. A aaa battery fits into the slot I need it too just fine and some of the aaa lights housing are only mm bigger, so we'll see if I can get away with a aaa hopefully. The lights seem to be more powerful and runtime and the obvious cheaper batteries. Thanks  :salute:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 07:26:17 PM
thrunite T01 probably smallest AAA, 125 lumens very nice light, check amazon currently about $10

like the other guys said you wont get the diameter of spacepen with AAA, but this light is about 1"shorter than pen(closed)

my suggestion is keep pen in that holster and put one of these on key ring, u wont even notice it, or grab Jetbeam mini, very tiny and micro usb recgaragable

here is both side by side, great lights:

I was teeter tottering with that thrunite too. But saw the olight in copper and went that direction first. We'll see. I may end up with a couple of sub ~15-20$ lights to have around and in different locations. Cool little jet beam too.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 07:27:31 PM
Man I really wish I was able to "multi quote" all those posts into a single reply...  :crash:

Sorry.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 07:42:38 PM

Just ordered one. That one in fact. We'll see, it'll be cutting it close for sure. Especially because the head of light is even a tad bigger. But I've been eyeballing that little light for a while now anyway.

Just to put your mind at rest the diameter of the olight is 14mm and the space pen (with clip) is 12.3mm, sorry I don't do imperial. Good choice BTW  :salute:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 07:45:17 PM

Just to put your mind at rest the diameter of the olight is 14mm and the space pen (with clip) is 12.3mm, sorry I don't do imperial. Good choice BTW  :salute:
Fingers crossed  :D thanks for the numbers!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD