Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My new bottle openers

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
My new bottle openers
on: August 26, 2016, 11:18:04 AM
Here are my two new bottle openers, bought under 2€ the pair from a local site.
What's interesting with them?
Well, they double us safety belt dummies.
That's a dangerous thing you might say (you Americans at least).
Don't get me wrong. I wear my seatbelt. But, as you know, I have a heavy EDC. When I put a bag in front passenger's seat it beeps like crazy. The silly sensor thinks my bag is a child or something. Then I might want to manoevre a bit with slow speed, it still beeps. So I bought the two bottle openers to address that.
Tried to use them on the car. Guess what? They wouldn't fit! They are 3mm, while safety belt buckles are 2mm. I don't know if that is a Chinese cheap and cheerful tool norm or it was made on purpose. Because these things might be illegal in certain countries and it could be that they intented to market them as bottle openers avoiding legal trouble. They even have a mispelled inscription on them like "These bottle openers are not a replacement for a safety belt." Right, they aren't, unless you Dremel away a mm, something I did and now they work. It is my responsibility now, not theirs, righ? Right.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:19:49 AM by kkokkolis »

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: My new bottle openers
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 11:57:46 AM
Why don't you simply use the normal belt buckle to open your beer while your drive your car?  :D

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 12:00:42 PM
Why don't you simply use the normal belt buckle to open your beer while your drive your car?  :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 12:05:27 PM
I'll do it, if you show me how it's done.
But then, I wouldn't have an excuse to buy multitools for their bottle openers.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 01:01:17 PM
I do it the other way around. I happily buy bottle openers, and it's a bonus if they're multis.   :multi:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 01:19:45 PM
That's exactly what these are. Vehicle Mounted Bottle Openers that happen to double as dummy seatbelts for avoiding annoying beeps when you won't use your seatbelt.
Now we have to wait and see if one of these millions of one piece tools whith wrenches, drivers, rulers and bottle openers willl come up  (accidentally of course) including a dummy seatbelt.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 02:43:55 PM
Well, given the precision of the machining of most of those tools, you would have to take your Dremel to one of those before it could be used if they added the dummy intentionally. :)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 06:12:39 PM

Probably cause there's a seat belt going through that said buckle at the bottle opener portion. But I bet most of us have at least a knife, if not a seat belt cutter near the gear shaft to fix that >:D

Honestly, I've been wanting to get a dummy belt buckle for a long time for exactly the same reasons. Not the beer opening while driving. :P To get rid of the beeping. I usually have my bag on the passenger seat too and even if it doesn't beep right away, there's a good chance it will start some time during the ride. But my plan is to get one from the scrap yard

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 08:45:18 PM
Less than 1€ and 10' with Dremel or sandpaper, why bother whith a scrapyard?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 03:33:41 PM
Those are great- I have the same problem with the weight sensor in the passenger seat of the Jeep.

Plus, with the number of times I used to drive slowly and short distances in my previous job and the seat belt was more of an inconvenience than a safety feature for someone getting in and out of the vehicle as frequently as I did.  I could have really used one of these.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 04:30:00 PM
Those are great- I have the same problem with the weight sensor in the passenger seat of the Jeep.

Plus, with the number of times I used to drive slowly and short distances in my previous job and the seat belt was more of an inconvenience than a safety feature for someone getting in and out of the vehicle as frequently as I did.  I could have really used one of these.

Def

Oh my...

Show content
I hope Megan doesn't read this or she'll be calling you watermelon...

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 05:42:10 AM

Def

Oh my...

Show content
I hope Megan doesn't read this or she'll be calling you watermelon...

:D :D :D :D

:o

:rofl:

:like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62