Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mora Club

Grathr · 1879 · 68969

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Re: Mora Club
Reply #1110 on: December 24, 2017, 10:03:35 PM
threw some paracord on the eldris for neck duty, and a short lanyard to make sheath removal easier. First attempt at the diamond finishing knot, was very tricky so excuse the sloppiness, it works well, but would prefer it a little shorter, but its good for now.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1111 on: December 24, 2017, 11:25:35 PM
Nice.  8)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #1112 on: December 25, 2017, 01:20:34 AM
I was hesitant to buy eldris, waited till the last minute of the sale, but glad I did, its very handy

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1113 on: December 25, 2017, 07:08:13 AM
 :like:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

hr Offline styx

Reply #1114 on: December 25, 2017, 11:12:46 AM
looks good
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1115 on: December 25, 2017, 11:30:47 AM

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #1116 on: December 26, 2017, 12:11:35 AM
thanks guys, I must have paused and rewinded that youtube video 50 times, they make it look so easy when they are making the knots, but they are very tricky to pull off

hr Offline styx

Reply #1117 on: December 26, 2017, 11:03:56 AM
as long as the result is there. i once spent an entire work day learning how to make an origami lilly (or something like that) and most of the scrap paper we had in the office

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline redmond

Reply #1118 on: January 02, 2018, 02:19:38 AM
Here is my modest family of Moras.
Greg
LM: PST II, Crunch (x2), Squirt, Micra, Skeletool, Rebar, Wave
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18
 Gerber: Mr. Pinchy, MP600

hr Offline styx

Reply #1119 on: January 02, 2018, 01:45:05 PM
welcome to the club

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #1120 on: January 02, 2018, 02:14:25 PM
 :like:
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline MTFool

Reply #1121 on: January 02, 2018, 10:21:17 PM
Hey y'all  I can   join. I like my moras...
20180102_155711.jpeg
* 20180102_155711.jpeg (Filesize: 214.99 KB)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #1122 on: January 03, 2018, 08:49:59 AM
Welcome to the club! Nice pic btw.
Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline styx

Reply #1123 on: January 03, 2018, 10:56:39 AM
nice pic. welcome to the club

no Offline Grathr

Reply #1124 on: January 03, 2018, 08:30:19 PM
Nice!

Welcome to the club!

us Offline MTFool

Reply #1125 on: January 03, 2018, 09:07:52 PM
Thanks ya'll

I post more pis of the others later

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #1126 on: January 10, 2018, 04:52:10 PM
Well here's a new one that's been announced today Mora Garberg Carbon, first 100 will be a Self Reliance Outfitters exclusive and then on general sale in the Spring.

https://morakniv.se/en/product/garberg-black-carbon/?wcmlc=EUR&currency=EUR

https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/pages/mora-garberg-carbon-pre-sale
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

no Offline Grathr

Reply #1127 on: January 10, 2018, 07:34:27 PM
Well here's a new one that's been announced today Mora Garberg Carbon, first 100 will be a Self Reliance Outfitters exclusive and then on general sale in the Spring.

https://morakniv.se/en/product/garberg-black-carbon/?wcmlc=EUR&currency=EUR

https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/pages/mora-garberg-carbon-pre-sale

I just saw that on youtube aswell! :tu:
https://youtu.be/rmmAzYA3m_0

hr Offline styx

Reply #1128 on: January 10, 2018, 09:31:45 PM
and that is how Mora will cause a headache for a lot of makers again

no Offline Grathr

Reply #1129 on: January 13, 2018, 02:11:06 PM
Not too much exitement here though :think:

I already have the stainless version, and Im happy with that. So I will probably not get the carbon steel one.

hr Offline styx

Reply #1130 on: January 13, 2018, 03:10:41 PM
wait 'till it starts shipping world wide. and when we find out the prices. plus I think a lot of people here are perfectly fine with stainless since only real advantage carbon has is the ability to spark with a rock. i'm sure someone will say sharpening but how many people find themselves long enough outside for that to be a real concern, modern sharpening implements work well on stainless and there is the whole debate easier sharpening vs going longer between sharpening

I for one would still like to see a head to head between the Garberg, Kansbol, TOPS BOB, Terava Jakkaripuuko 110 (hope I spelled that right) and Fallkniven F1 or S1 (depending on which model is the closest in size to these). Actually since I'm at it one could put the BRKT Gunny and Bushcrafter and Becker BK16 in the mix to see how they perform on different tasks, preferably in one of those wet and cold places (mostly because I believe that any of those would work great when slipping and rusting aren't any sort of a factor)

no Offline Grathr

Reply #1131 on: January 13, 2018, 06:09:31 PM
wait 'till it starts shipping world wide. and when we find out the prices. plus I think a lot of people here are perfectly fine with stainless since only real advantage carbon has is the ability to spark with a rock. i'm sure someone will say sharpening but how many people find themselves long enough outside for that to be a real concern, modern sharpening implements work well on stainless and there is the whole debate easier sharpening vs going longer between sharpening

I for one would still like to see a head to head between the Garberg, Kansbol, TOPS BOB, Terava Jakkaripuuko 110 (hope I spelled that right) and Fallkniven F1 or S1 (depending on which model is the closest in size to these). Actually since I'm at it one could put the BRKT Gunny and Bushcrafter and Becker BK16 in the mix to see how they perform on different tasks, preferably in one of those wet and cold places (mostly because I believe that any of those would work great when slipping and rusting aren't any sort of a factor)

I would like to see that as well. :tu:

hr Offline styx

Reply #1132 on: January 13, 2018, 09:44:33 PM
now me being the smurf that I am, I would suggest having at least 5 people of varying skill, strength and hand size (actually someone with injured hands or arthritis would be an appreciated addition here) testing out these blades with your usual tasks, so no prying car doors open or rock bashing, over the course of a few days with as minimal maintenance to the blades as possible and then give 'em a night or a full 24 hours of no maintenance.

This mind sound odd but we can assume that the average person will not spend half an hour every day (at minimum) doing everything to preserve the blade, and the last prolonged period is to see what would realistically happen if one were to get a bit careless. Just think of putting a wet knife in the sheath type of absent mindedness that can happen and has had an impact on a knife in my personal experience.

You can also notice that the first 5 I've named are quite similar in size, grind (except Fallkniven and the Kansbol to a degree), most are made in Europe which means more readily available at a more affordable price (except TOPS) and have some sort of an overlapping handle (again except TOPS). Even with the 3 additions, it can be argued that they are all production knives at different price points (maybe BRKT falls into midtech but I'd disagree there simply due to their sheer volume of production on these 2 models).

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #1133 on: January 14, 2018, 04:29:24 PM
the first fixed blade knife that rusted on me was a Carbon Steel Mora. It looked like new, I cut some food after waking up with it and left it wet on the table. I went to do some things and forgot about it...when came back in the evening, it was heavily patina-ed and I could never polish out the new color from the oxide layer, and had to buff out the small dimples on the blade.  :P

All my next Moras have been stainless   :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

hr Offline styx

Reply #1134 on: January 14, 2018, 08:28:11 PM
exactly the reason why I said that I'd like to see 'em in a wet and cold environment. had a similar experience with 1095 that would rust if I looked away for a second

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #1135 on: January 19, 2018, 12:32:58 AM
Been a while since I had the companion out ::)
DSCN3628.JPG
* DSCN3628.JPG (Filesize: 289.55 KB)
Send In the spartans

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #1136 on: January 19, 2018, 09:42:48 AM
To be clear, I'm a carbon steel guy  :salute:

I have however come to appreciate certain stainless steels, that was re-affirmed by a 30 year old Kershaw I'll hopefully post some pics of soon.

As far as the Garberg is concerned, after feeling it in hand I'm not likely to buy either, it feels heavy.

>:D
If your carbon steel knife rusts, you're doing it wrong  :twak:
 :angel:

hr Offline styx

Reply #1137 on: January 19, 2018, 02:25:48 PM
To be clear, I'm a carbon steel guy  :salute:

I have however come to appreciate certain stainless steels, that was re-affirmed by a 30 year old Kershaw I'll hopefully post some pics of soon.

As far as the Garberg is concerned, after feeling it in hand I'm not likely to buy either, it feels heavy.

>:D
If your carbon steel knife rusts, you're doing it wrong  :twak:
 :angel:

I agree, that's why I traded it away as this was not the right home for it

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #1138 on: January 21, 2018, 02:27:29 PM
I'll take a short break from the Swiss Army Knights and show off my only Mora
20180120_174251-1.jpg
* 20180120_174251-1.jpg (Filesize: 139.2 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1139 on: January 21, 2018, 03:30:05 PM
It's a good choice Greg.  :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%