Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mora Club

Grathr · 1879 · 69977

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Mora Club
Reply #390 on: March 08, 2017, 08:45:49 PM
Well Mora did have a poll on Instagram if you'd rather have a Kansbol or a Bushcraft. I saw a lot of Kansbol replies, although I'd personally fall in the Bushcraft camp at this point

I've never even held a Bushcraft as far as I can recall. :think:  Any particular reason you like it?

Feels good in my hand and I'm used to the Companion so the blade profile and familiarity is there. Sadly I've never gotten a chance to hold a Kansbol or Garberg and for me ergos are the most important thing
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #391 on: March 08, 2017, 09:55:11 PM
Well Mora did have a poll on Instagram if you'd rather have a Kansbol or a Bushcraft. I saw a lot of Kansbol replies, although I'd personally fall in the Bushcraft camp at this point

I've never even held a Bushcraft as far as I can recall. :think:  Any particular reason you like it?

Feels good in my hand and I'm used to the Companion so the blade profile and familiarity is there. Sadly I've never gotten a chance to hold a Kansbol or Garberg and for me ergos are the most important thing

Perfectly reasonable mate. :cheers:  I did get a chance to hold a Garberg in a shop and really liked the handle shape.  When I found out the Kansbol had the same shape and also had a softer texture I was sold on the idea of owning one.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline styx

Reply #392 on: March 09, 2017, 11:07:32 PM

Perfectly reasonable mate. :cheers:  I did get a chance to hold a Garberg in a shop and really liked the handle shape.  When I found out the Kansbol had the same shape and also had a softer texture I was sold on the idea of owning one.

Guess I should get my hands on one to really decide. Although I've got another sort of knife on my list that has priority

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #393 on: March 10, 2017, 07:10:04 AM

Guess I should get my hands on one to really decide. Although I've got another sort of knife on my list that has priority

I like the Garberg feel as well...comfortable and easy to grip, even with my RA. In fact, the Garberg has pretty much taken the wind outta my sails on buying more fixed blades. I'll get another one if it comes out in carbon (maybe) but it's great in stainless IMO....less worry/care in the field.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #394 on: March 10, 2017, 10:21:07 AM

I like the Garberg feel as well...comfortable and easy to grip, even with my RA. In fact, the Garberg has pretty much taken the wind outta my sails on buying more fixed blades. I'll get another one if it comes out in carbon (maybe) but it's great in stainless IMO....less worry/care in the field.

I do wonder why they didn't go with a softer grip on the Garberg. :think:  Durability perhaps?  Not that I'd call the Kansbol handle weak or anything, but you might be able to damage it when battoning or some such. :shrug:

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #395 on: March 10, 2017, 10:41:23 AM

I do wonder why they didn't go with a softer grip on the Garberg. :think:  Durability perhaps?  Not that I'd call the Kansbol handle weak or anything, but you might be able to damage it when battoning or some such. :shrug:

I think for two reasons, a) the soft material can potentially hurt your skin during hard, prolonged use which is what the Garberg was designed to do and b) long-term that same material could detoriorate due to use and age.

Point b) is just a guess.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #396 on: March 10, 2017, 10:46:14 AM
Both good points I'd say.  :salute:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #397 on: March 10, 2017, 03:47:17 PM
Went for a walk in the woods this lunchtime and took the Kansbol with me.

hr Offline styx

Reply #398 on: March 10, 2017, 08:58:39 PM
amazing pic

So I gotta try out Mora knives... I really really love the fact I can blame you guys for that

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #399 on: March 10, 2017, 09:11:35 PM
amazing pic

So I gotta try out Mora knives... I really really love the fact I can blame you guys for that

cheers mate. :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 09:13:04 PM by Gareth »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #400 on: March 10, 2017, 09:16:56 PM

I think for two reasons, a) the soft material can potentially hurt your skin during hard, prolonged use which is what the Garberg was designed to do and b) long-term that same material could detoriorate due to use and age.

Point b) is just a guess.

Soft handles can really hold smells from fishing etc. Hard handles are generally easier to clean.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #401 on: March 10, 2017, 09:17:45 PM
Went for a walk in the woods this lunchtime and took the Kansbol with me.

(Image removed from quote.)

:tu:   :like:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #402 on: March 28, 2017, 03:10:11 PM
Thanks to Smashie my Kansbol got a little sister.  I hadn't realised that it was a very different shade of green, and it's possible I actually like it more.

The belt loop for the Kansbol also fits the Eldris sheath, but since I rather like that where it is I knocked up a holder from some bits of leather and cord I had kicking about in the garage.

Makes nice wood curls as well.  Yup, it's still a Mora, albeit with a very dinky blade.
DSC_0019[1].JPG
* DSC_0019[1].JPG (Filesize: 297.08 KB)
DSC_0021[1].JPG
* DSC_0021[1].JPG (Filesize: 306.61 KB)
DSC_0022[1].JPG
* DSC_0022[1].JPG (Filesize: 313.74 KB)
DSC_0023[1].JPG
* DSC_0023[1].JPG (Filesize: 367.78 KB)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 03:14:08 PM by Gareth »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #403 on: March 28, 2017, 03:16:39 PM
Here's the leather holder I put together.  Nothing even slightly fancy, but it does work.

DSC_0024[1].JPG
* DSC_0024[1].JPG (Filesize: 345.77 KB)
DSC_0025[1].JPG
* DSC_0025[1].JPG (Filesize: 368.25 KB)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 03:17:42 PM by Gareth »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #404 on: March 28, 2017, 03:23:26 PM
Very nice! Great gesture too Smashie  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #405 on: March 28, 2017, 06:39:07 PM
Here's the leather holder I put together.  Nothing even slightly fancy, but it does work.

love the leather holder Gareth
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #406 on: March 28, 2017, 06:57:52 PM
Very cool Gareth  :tu: and the sheath looks good  :salute:

hr Offline styx

Reply #407 on: March 28, 2017, 09:23:54 PM
you say it isn't fancy but it looks amazing

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #408 on: March 28, 2017, 09:55:37 PM
Very nice! Great gesture too Smashie  :salute:

+1  :hatsoff:

Also love the leather holder  :cheers:  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #409 on: March 28, 2017, 11:04:08 PM
Cheers gents. :cheers:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #410 on: March 28, 2017, 11:12:59 PM
Cool pics!! Calendar thread, calendar thread, calendar...   :pok:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #411 on: March 28, 2017, 11:14:58 PM
Three cheers for Smashie too.   :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #412 on: March 28, 2017, 11:18:32 PM
Cool pics!! Calendar thread, calendar thread, calendar...   :pok:

Not nearly hight enough resolution for that I'm afraid.  :-\

hr Offline styx

Reply #413 on: March 29, 2017, 07:53:05 PM
maybe worth a shot?

gr Offline firiki

Reply #414 on: March 30, 2017, 10:11:04 AM
That holder looks good :tu: How do you like the knife, Gareth?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #415 on: March 30, 2017, 10:38:36 AM
That holder looks good :tu: How do you like the knife, Gareth?

I like it a lot so far.  Not surprisingly it's very sharp, the spine easily throws a good spark and the handle is very comfortable.  While the short blade obviously makes it extremely compact it also means that your hand is always right next to whatever it is you are working on.  This can make things feel a little cramped sometimes.  I also wouldn't mind the handle having a bit of a finger hook on the butt end, not only to aid removal from the sheath, but also to indicate edge alignment.  However these are relatively minor quibbles and overall I like the Eldris very much. :tu:

gr Offline firiki

Reply #416 on: March 30, 2017, 11:11:37 AM
:salute: I see why you'd like a finger hook and I agree with you. I guess it would ruin the knife's clean lines, though, and that many people might think it made the grip uncomfortable. Not to mention the need for an extra mold.

If you could keep only one of the two, would you pick the Eldris or the Kansbol?  >:D   :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #417 on: March 30, 2017, 11:30:48 AM
:salute: I see why you'd like a finger hook and I agree with you. I guess it would ruin the knife's clean lines, though, and that many people might think it made the grip uncomfortable. Not to mention the need for an extra mold.

If you could keep only one of the two, would you pick the Eldris or the Kansbol?  >:D   :D

Oh, the Kasbol without question.  The short blade on the Eldris makes it very handy, but if it were to be my one and only knife it'd be too limiting IMO.  I don't want to sound like I'm being harsh on the Eldris becasue I really do think it works well.  I have a couple of small bladed sheath knives and it's by far and away the best of them, mostly due to the good sized handle.  It's a bit more compact than a full sized Mora, but it's big enough to fill the hand and is comfortable to use for extended periods.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #418 on: March 30, 2017, 11:40:14 AM

Oh, the Kasbol without question.  The short blade on the Eldris makes it very handy, but if it were to be my one and only knife it'd be too limiting IMO.  I don't want to sound like I'm being harsh on the Eldris becasue I really do think it works well.  I have a couple of small bladed sheath knives and it's by far and away the best of them, mostly due to the good sized handle.  It's a bit more compact than a full sized Mora, but it's big enough to fill the hand and is comfortable to use for extended periods.

Not as you only knife, just between the two. I was hoping I'd convice you to send me the other one  :P

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #419 on: March 30, 2017, 12:00:48 PM

Not as you only knife, just between the two. I was hoping I'd convice you to send me the other one  :P

Sorry, I think my daughter might be getting the Eldris. :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%