Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mora Club

Grathr · 1879 · 70055

00 Offline fivesense

Re: Mora Club
Reply #840 on: July 17, 2017, 07:10:08 AM
I gave my wife a Mora 2000 to keep in her car (along with a SAK Huntsman and SAK Rescue Tool). I'm considering a Kansbol,
so I wanted to look at the profile grind of the Mora 2000 as it is similar to Kansbol. My wife has used it for a few odds and ends tasks but I was blown away by how sharp it still was.

It had a slightly rolled tip so I ran it over my Sharpmaker ceramic rods just to "freshen" it up. After just a little maintenance, her Mora 2000 is about as sharp as anything I own! I have a handful of 2.5mm Moras, but none with the profile grind as on the 2000 and Kansbol. Wow! Is the profile grind that much easier to make razor sharp?
Use your tools and enjoy the Zen of maintaining and sharpening them.

Consider donating a couple bucks to this site. There is no better knife or multitool site anywhere on planet internet.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #841 on: July 20, 2017, 11:51:23 AM

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #842 on: July 20, 2017, 11:51:42 AM

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #843 on: July 20, 2017, 12:30:14 PM
I knocked the shoulder off of my carbon clipper and also sharpen it on three angles which makes it convex and I can attest that it makes a rather noticeable difference in the wedging department. This is our kitchen utility knife and I use it a lot on cardboard and plastic and rounding the shoulders definitely increases the performance. Also I might add this knife really holds an edge well. It gets beaten like a rented mule and even when it becomes dull it will still cut fairly well :tu:

(Image removed from quote.)

I knocked the shoulder off of my carbon clipper and also sharpen it on three angles which makes it convex and I can attest that it makes a rather noticeable difference in the wedging department. This is our kitchen utility knife and I use it a lot on cardboard and plastic and rounding the shoulders definitely increases the performance. Also I might add this knife really holds an edge well. It gets beaten like a rented mule and even when it becomes dull it will still cut fairly well :tu:

Nice job mate  :salute: this is how little Gaute turned out and it cuts really well ,although I do like a convex grind but usually on bigger chopping type knives  :tu:

Glad to see you 2 are getting good results

Indeed.  :tu:  Very tempted to give this a go as well, but I might have to pick up a new Mora to try it on. :whistle:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #844 on: July 20, 2017, 04:02:13 PM

Nice job mate  :salute: this is how little Gaute turned out and it cuts really well ,although I do like a convex grind but usually on bigger chopping type knives  :tu:

Glad to see you 2 are getting good results

Indeed.  :tu:  Very tempted to give this a go as well, but I might have to pick up a new Mora to try it on. :whistle:

Join us. I'll start my experiment tomorrow

uuuu very nice gear choices
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #845 on: July 20, 2017, 09:54:36 PM
OK, I've started knocking off the shoulder on my Classic No1.  I'll be honest and say that it's not a Mora I ever particularly pick up, especially since I bought a No2/0.  I even remembered to take a "before" pic. :D

hr Offline styx

Reply #846 on: July 20, 2017, 10:24:11 PM
good thinking with the before pic

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline zr0dfx

Reply #847 on: July 20, 2017, 11:48:04 PM
Here is a good funny video including a trip to the mora factory with Dutch bushcraft knives

:like:
 :cheers:

hr Offline styx

Reply #848 on: July 25, 2017, 09:40:35 AM
well I am late with the experiment since some things popped up (if you really want to hear my annoyed rants just ask). but here is step #1 - softening the shoulders. knocking the shoulders off entirely is somewhat impossible without moving the knife to a zero grind

before
IMG_20170725_083116

after
IMG_20170725_084249

As you can see it does look a bit more convexed. In a practical sense I've managed to stab myself while making something jambalaya like (pics of food when it is done). The wedging issue is already much better and slicing ability has improved on soft materials like very ripe tomatoes (that's how I stabbed myself)

no Offline Grathr

Reply #849 on: July 25, 2017, 11:30:10 AM

:tu:
How does it perform on wood?
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #850 on: July 25, 2017, 11:42:59 AM
As mentioned earlier I got myself a No2 in sweeden a couple of weeks ago.
I desided to modifie it a bit. I squared the spine, sanded the handle, burned it and oiled it and gave the blade a patina.

I also stumbeled upon the leather sheath online. According the seller, it is a Mora sheath. Looks like it originally was for a fishing knife, but fits the No2 nicely. (And I only paid $2,50 for it :D Too bad he only had one, or I would have bought a bunch to share with you)
I oiled the sheath as well.

Im not sure I improved it. In retrospect I think the red handle would have looked better. Also, if drop it, I sure wont find it!  :facepalm:
IMG_9443.jpg
* IMG_9443.jpg (Filesize: 271.47 KB)
IMG_9442.jpg
* IMG_9442.jpg (Filesize: 316.5 KB)
IMG_9444.jpg
* IMG_9444.jpg (Filesize: 379.74 KB)
IMG_9445.jpg
* IMG_9445.jpg (Filesize: 391.34 KB)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #851 on: July 25, 2017, 12:14:50 PM
Nice Gaute! Nice work on the knife.
Nate

SEND IT!

no Offline Grathr

Reply #852 on: July 25, 2017, 01:18:52 PM
Nice Gaute! Nice work on the knife.

Thanks! :salute:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #853 on: July 25, 2017, 02:38:55 PM
Very nice Gaute  :tu: love that sheath as well nice find and bargain price  :salute:

hr Offline styx

Reply #854 on: July 25, 2017, 02:43:41 PM

The board I tested it on gave the following results:
Scandi - average cut depth was 5mm
1st modification - average cut depth was 8mm

The problem is that I snapped the board and threw it away before taking pictures. Since the first cut depth was so low, we can safely say it was a rather hard wood.

Nice job on the modifications

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #855 on: July 25, 2017, 02:45:25 PM
 :oops:

The board I tested it on gave the following results:
Scandi - average cut depth was 5mm
1st modification - average cut depth was 8mm

The problem is that I snapped the board and threw it away before taking pictures. Since the first cut depth was so low, we can safely say it was a rather hard wood.

Nice job on the modifications
Cool. Thanks for the info. Also, nice work.
Nate

SEND IT!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #856 on: July 25, 2017, 05:40:09 PM
well I am late with the experiment since some things popped up (if you really want to hear my annoyed rants just ask). but here is step #1 - softening the shoulders. knocking the shoulders off entirely is somewhat impossible without moving the knife to a zero grind

before
IMG_20170725_083116

after
IMG_20170725_084249

As you can see it does look a bit more convexed. In a practical sense I've managed to stab myself while making something jambalaya like (pics of food when it is done). The wedging issue is already much better and slicing ability has improved on soft materials like very ripe tomatoes (that's how I stabbed myself)

Nice.  That's exactly what I've done and I've come to the same conclusions as well.  I have managed to avoid stabbing myself though. :whistle:

hr Offline styx

Reply #857 on: July 25, 2017, 06:19:17 PM
well i'm somewhat clumsy, or perhaps better said careless enough to have a few mishaps. I think with time it will perform even better although the question that can now be asked is the edge stability compromised

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #858 on: July 26, 2017, 08:37:39 AM
Here's the best pic I could manage last night. I think there is more I could do but it's a good enough start.
DSC_0038.JPG
* DSC_0038.JPG (Filesize: 294.81 KB)

hr Offline styx

Reply #859 on: July 26, 2017, 12:42:23 PM
nice. me thinks that it is the most one can do without removing too much material

no Offline Grathr

Reply #860 on: July 26, 2017, 06:03:57 PM
Nice!

Noticed any negative effects?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #861 on: July 26, 2017, 06:27:54 PM
Nothing so far, but I'm yet to put it to a full gambit of tasks.  Any special requests?

no Offline Grathr

Reply #862 on: July 26, 2017, 07:34:55 PM
Whittling.
Cutting cardboard.
Sharpening
 :think:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #863 on: July 27, 2017, 09:42:28 AM
Great work guys,little Gaute already had its shoulder removed so after I sharpened it up it now cuts well,not done much but it feathers well and cut a spear point easily  :tu: here is little Gaute compared to my #1  :tu: I can see this being a harderwaring edge .
2017-07-12 08.08.49.jpg
* 2017-07-12 08.08.49.jpg (Filesize: 234.93 KB)
2017-07-12 08.09.14.jpg
* 2017-07-12 08.09.14.jpg (Filesize: 231.66 KB)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:44:02 AM by Zed »

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #864 on: August 04, 2017, 02:59:16 PM
 :think: :think: :think:

Since nobody has commented on this, I believe all club members should see this and the subsequent video.

TBH, I find their videos a bit silly, but these two can't be missed.... :salute:

Here is a good funny video including a trip to the mora factory with Dutch bushcraft knives

:like:
 :cheers:

hr Offline styx

Reply #865 on: August 04, 2017, 03:18:26 PM
Oddly I'm not a huge fan of theirs. As far as having one more video, I'll have to give it a watch

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #866 on: August 04, 2017, 04:14:14 PM
Oddly I'm not a huge fan of theirs. As far as having one more video, I'll have to give it a watch

Same here, I unsubscribed, they're a bit silly......

Show content
2018.........4 million Mora

gb Offline zr0dfx

Reply #867 on: August 04, 2017, 04:26:47 PM
I agree they are a bit wacky but I found these videos to be quite entertaining and on the next video they sit down with the owner or Mora and have a quite serious q&a   :tu:

hr Offline styx

Reply #868 on: August 04, 2017, 11:47:16 PM
i think they do some very good testing. the presentation style just isn't my glass of whisky. if that is the worst thing i can say then it really isn't an issue

no Offline Grathr

Reply #869 on: August 05, 2017, 05:45:09 AM
I like some of their videos.

Sometimes they go a little too wacky for my taste. Those Mora vids are great. Especially the q&a.

I bet Sanrenmu also use sandvik steel because of the consistency of the steel, making it ideal for mass production.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 05:50:12 AM by Grathr »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%