Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Style VS. Victorinox Classic SD, a revisit

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Re: Leatherman Style VS. Victorinox Classic SD, a revisit
Reply #30 on: September 20, 2016, 12:46:54 AM
Third, knife.
Style did a fine job, no problem there at all.  :tu:
(Image removed from quote.)
The Classic SD is so clumsy in knife mode it is almost un-useable.  :td:
(Image removed from quote.)

Please Kampfer, it only takes 5 seconds to remove the classic from the keyring!   :facepalm:
Detaching the tool from keyring to use it is not the design intent.
Be realistic , 5 second to take it off, 5 seconds to put it back on for every time?
How many people will do that?

Me, if I have to use the screwdriver or the knife comfortably

With scissors is not necessary

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #31 on: September 20, 2016, 12:48:32 AM
Yea but you are NOT my wife.  :D
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #32 on: September 20, 2016, 02:35:13 AM
Here is a Classic with its clothes off

The springs are all identical in the Classic/58mm line - Even the keyring spring is the same internally - as you can see - It just has the key ring loop as an addition on the end.
It is such a clever design. The thin tools (blade/nailfile etc) have a spring each, the thick tools (scisssors/combi) use two springs
Normally the knife and nail file/SD are on the bottom - So they open over the keyring as you have shown.
But the knife could easily be built the other way, with the scissors on the bottom - opening over the key ring, which presumably would be better as no need to rotate the scissors.
And the knife/SD opening over the other end - so rotation (and cutting) would be easy, if you had keys on the ring!
So the question is ........ 'Why did Vic make it the way they made it?'   !!
Have you tried switching one of the springs, so all the implements open in the same direction? Could it work?
I don't know why the Classic and most 58 have the blade opening to the keyring side and the Rambler has it opening to the other side. It makes the Rambler so much more easy to use.

Hey PFR,
Sorry missed this Q last month
Switching the springs over end to end - does not work - Although it looks like it would from the photo - eh?

The springs will fit on the pins (I think) but the springs will not operate. The intelocking indentation and little knob don't fit together if you do this.
I tried it when I did my recent Rally repair.

Tools sharing a layer on opposite sides of a 58mm have to open from the opposite ends of the knife.

Still puzzled as to why Vic did not build the Classic so the knife and SD open at the free and and the scisssors at the keyring end ???
The way they build them makes no sense in terms of how you use the tools.

So you like the Rambler - eh ???  That's nice  ;)   :D  8)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 02:39:10 AM by Huntsman »

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: September 20, 2016, 11:21:11 AM

It takes me less time disconnecting the classic from the keyring than trying to open the LM style (the knife is difficult and the scissors are very hard to deploy!)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 11:38:10 AM by alexTOOL »

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #34 on: September 20, 2016, 11:39:24 AM

Still puzzled as to why Vic did not build the Classic so the knife and SD open at the free and and the scisssors at the keyring end ???

I feel I might be the only one to actually like the keyring's placement on the Classic! I do prefer the Rambler for a number of reasons but, for the uninitiated, the keyring can be useful to get a better grip on the thing while using the implements. 

I think?  :think:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #35 on: September 20, 2016, 08:21:11 PM

It takes me less time disconnecting the classic from the keyring than trying to open the LM style (the knife is difficult and the scissors are very hard to deploy!)
If that design fault doesn't bother you then more power to you. :salute:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #36 on: September 21, 2016, 07:14:05 PM
Here is a Classic with its clothes off

The springs are all identical in the Classic/58mm line - Even the keyring spring is the same internally - as you can see - It just has the key ring loop as an addition on the end.
It is such a clever design. The thin tools (blade/nailfile etc) have a spring each, the thick tools (scisssors/combi) use two springs
Normally the knife and nail file/SD are on the bottom - So they open over the keyring as you have shown.
But the knife could easily be built the other way, with the scissors on the bottom - opening over the key ring, which presumably would be better as no need to rotate the scissors.
And the knife/SD opening over the other end - so rotation (and cutting) would be easy, if you had keys on the ring!
So the question is ........ 'Why did Vic make it the way they made it?'   !!
Have you tried switching one of the springs, so all the implements open in the same direction? Could it work?
I don't know why the Classic and most 58 have the blade opening to the keyring side and the Rambler has it opening to the other side. It makes the Rambler so much more easy to use.

Hey PFR,
Sorry missed this Q last month
Switching the springs over end to end - does not work - Although it looks like it would from the photo - eh?

The springs will fit on the pins (I think) but the springs will not operate. The intelocking indentation and little knob don't fit together if you do this.
I tried it when I did my recent Rally repair.

Tools sharing a layer on opposite sides of a 58mm have to open from the opposite ends of the knife.

So you like the Rambler - eh ???  That's nice  ;)   :D  8)

No worries, thanks for the A.

:tu:

Looking carefully at the springs, they look like they would "block" each other if facing the same way.

Rambler hasn't left my pocket since I got it. Only thing I might change is put a pen in it, upgrade it to Manager. I always have pens (yeah, plural) with me, so I might not need it.

:think:

Thanks again for it!

:hatsoff:

As for the springs, it would look like this:

Maybe filing off those 4 small tips touching each other. Could we do that? Will it cause the springs to not work properly?...
 :think: :think:
58 springs.jpg
* 58 springs.jpg (Filesize: 219.01 KB)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 07:20:33 PM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline lemo

Reply #37 on: October 03, 2016, 03:45:25 PM
Have to agree that using the blade on a classic while attached to a key chain is not much fun and difficult to understand as a design choice. The manager is only a little fatter and has the blade pivot on the other side to the classic. Same issue with the drivers however.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: November 20, 2016, 10:21:43 PM
Wenger Esquire maybe?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #39 on: November 20, 2016, 10:43:54 PM
I thought the Style was okay, but it suffers from the one major drawback of every keychain sized Leatherman. It has a chisel-ground blade.

I find those unpleasant to resharpen. REALLY unpleasant. This is less a deal-breaker with other supposed keychain sized tools that have big scissors or pliers, like the Micra, Crosscut, Squirt, or the other models of the Style (PS and CS), where the blade isn't the main feature.

I ALSO don't like the Classic's keyring placement.

I'm afraid the Rambler is the winner for me, in the 'I'd ever actually put it on a keychain' tool category.

Thanks for the review!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: November 30, 2016, 06:22:31 PM
I actually find chisel grind to be incredibly quick and easy to sharpen. You're only really doing half the work plus deburr.

I have a rambler which has yet to go on my keychain as the Style CS is firmly attached to it. I keep meaning to try out the SAK but never quite get round to it. I had however very certainly decided on using a mini carabiner. The built in one on the Style CS is genius.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #41 on: February 14, 2017, 02:40:06 PM
I don't have a Style, I do have many 58mm SAKs. Kampfers keyring placement point is valid, I'm taking my MiniChamp off the keychain before use. My other MiniChamp gets carried in a belt sheath, so no problem there.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #42 on: February 14, 2017, 03:22:17 PM
For me, the Classic is the slam dunk winner by virtue of its precise scissors.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%