Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Goofing off today with Cedar and Fatwood.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Goofing off today with Cedar and Fatwood.
on: May 31, 2016, 11:22:02 PM
I went hiking over the weekend and picked up some Cedar from the campgrounds.  Lots of left over wood from a very busy 3 day weekend.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it but its so beautiful. 

I decided I'd make a handle for my ferro rod and possibly knife scales  :think:.   The knife scales have to wait since I am not sure exactly how to go about it.

I whittled away a decent size piece and sanded it ( man cedar smells so good ) till I had the size I wanted.  The pics don't show the handle color or the wood grain but its pretty nice.  I have it wiped down with linseed oil at the moment so more pics later.   

I then whittled the stump I had till I was left with the center.  Did I mention how amazing Cedar smells?  I'm not sure what I'll do with the center piece but I do have a couple more ferro rods that could use a handle. 

I was on a roll so I got out my thicker pieces of fatwood to make handles out of them.  I'll left them square because I'll shave them as I need tinder thus shaping them down the road. 

The Cedar and Fatwood handles are friction fit and very snug.  I was going to epoxy them in but having drilled out the hole just a tad smaller than the ferro rod worked great. 

IMG_0868 copy.jpg
* IMG_0868 copy.jpg (Filesize: 155.33 KB)
IMG_0865 copy.jpg
* IMG_0865 copy.jpg (Filesize: 180.6 KB)
IMG_0869 copy.jpg
* IMG_0869 copy.jpg (Filesize: 217.53 KB)
IMG_0866 copy.jpg
* IMG_0866 copy.jpg (Filesize: 221.17 KB)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 11:23:24 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Re: Goofing off today with Cedar and Fatwood.
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 10:29:56 PM
  Nice. Should go fatwood hunting the next time I'm out; have not done this before, though I watched a few YouTube videos so I should be an expert - right? :rofl:

Was tempted to see if Home Depot had any but go to thinking, how do we know if commercial placed like this don't use some other accelerant that may not be food safe? Am getting more of an education on making fire here on MTO than the rest of the internet. By chance, is there a whole topic of making fire in all weather seasons on MTO, or a few pages that some of you knowledgeable folks can do and we can vote on who did the best job and maybe give them credibility or a prize for??

BTW, where did you get your Ferrocerium Rods from? (Seem I can type that out now without using a spelling checker. /grin) I've got a short one with threads from Exotac, their nanoStriker. Also have a spare shorty, but I've not seen good sized ferrocerium rods anywhere by themselves. Did get a generic ferrocerium & magnesium brick setup that was okay, it did the trick with lots of effort. Rather have something of quality. Recommendations? :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 01:31:27 AM
The fat wood you can buy at homedeport is from central america if that matters.  I've bought it and like any commercial fat wood you get a random mix of good pieces and just regular wood. 

Sourcing it yourself in the wild is fun.  Also pine sap nuggets are fun to source as well. 

My ferro rods are CnC ( cheap and cheerful ) from amazn.  They got great reviews and were cheap so I bought an 8 pack.  I have no real complaints as they throw decent globs of fiery metal that will light nearly every tinder I use.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 02:18:06 AM
Missed this thread the first time around ??? Very great idea Aloha :cheers: I have several smaller ferro rods that need handles as well and this is a good way to make them longer and carry tinder at the same time :tu: :like:

us Offline David

Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 07:50:00 AM
How'd I miss this thread?   :think:    Never thought of using fatwood for a ferro rod handle. Might get fire on both ends if ones not careful.   :D     Love the smell of cedar. I like the looks of it also!   :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 08:04:21 AM
Kinda like this

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline David

Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 11:10:05 PM
  :ahhh.   :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 01:10:20 AM
Kinda like this

(Image removed from quote.)

I would like to start a fire with that for sure :o :like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 01:28:16 AM
Lovely looking Cedar    :cheers:

I can almost smell it from here  :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25