Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

farmer X sawblade is askew

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
farmer X sawblade is askew
on: January 19, 2024, 11:42:15 PM
ordered a Farmer X red alox knifecenter exclusive and i was really excited to get it however when opening the saw i noticed that its got some resistance on one side and doesn't open smoothly. then when it closes it doesn't seat properly in the groove but rather sits way askew to one side. I'm surprised it left the factory this way because it seems way off. I'm thinking I'm going to have to return it which is a total bummer.

my other silver farmers and farmer X all snap into place perfect even after extended use so I'm perplexed and thinking there's something wrong with the alignment.

Has anyone else experienced this?

i tried to get a picture of it but I'm not the best with my phone taking close up pictures.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Re: farmer X sawblade is askew
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 02:45:31 AM
That’s a bummer!  :oops:

It definitely should not rest on the liner. You may be able to bend it back, but there is a risk the saw could break. I think you’re best just to send it back for a replacement. It’s not often Vic screws it up, but even they can make a bad one.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

ca Offline Jazz

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 02:57:14 AM
If it was mine, I’d just bend it back carefully. I let someone use my Leatherman Wave saw once. He bent it good. What a jack ass. I bent it back good as new.

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2024, 04:24:17 AM
thanks for the input and advice gents  :cheers:

i've decided just to return it. the reason i'm not gonna try bending it is because the saw has some resistance when i'm opening it. its not smooth but rather is getting held up and sounds as if it's scraping inside. if it was just that the saw was not straight then maybe bending it would work but i think either the saw was not machined like it should have been or the alignment is way off.

just wanted to ask here because i've never encountered this with any other vic and i've got several farmers and a silver Farmer X where the saws are all perfect.

now the question is should i go with them sending me a replacement or just get a refund.  :dunno:

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 01:47:00 AM
   Well, tell us what you decided Ex.  Are you going to ask for another pretty red knife, or a refund?  Best wishes.  G
 :D

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 24, 2024, 03:54:08 PM
contacted knife center and they were really cool about it- they said that I could send it in for a refund or replacement and that they would make sure the replacement had a saw blade that seated properly and didn't rest on the liner.

so I went with the replacement- they even gave me a prepaid shipping label so I didn't have to pay for return shipping- Just sent it off yesterday.

Definitely think there was something majorly wrong with the sawblade because it would make a grinding noise when opening or closing- despite the knife having visible oil. I've never encountered that before in all my years carrying SAKs  but  :dunno: who knows: $hit happens.

definitely looking forward to getting the replacement. i'm thinking the red FX is a strong candidate to become my primary EDC.  :ahhh

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #6 on: January 24, 2024, 07:16:52 PM
How to safely and properly straighten a SAK wood saw blade by Felix Immler.  https://youtu.be/e8-Qe1_08wE?si=62Z3c9CeS2jkPfBd

Catch ya'll in another eight years.
Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

us Offline Jeffjeeptj

Reply #7 on: January 24, 2024, 08:49:28 PM
Explorer - I think you made the right choice to return and replace the questionable unit.  I am also very glad to hear the vendor has such good customer service.  I have been considering a purchase through the same vendor.  Decision is now much easier. 
Thanks for posting the information.
Most coincidences are carefully planned.

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 24, 2024, 10:15:01 PM
thanks Jeff  :cheers:

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 24, 2024, 10:19:03 PM
How to safely and properly straighten a SAK wood saw blade by Felix Immler.  https://youtu.be/e8-Qe1_08wE?si=62Z3c9CeS2jkPfBd

Catch ya'll in another eight years.
Mike

thanks Mike  :salute:
thanks for coming out of hibernation to post that video  :pok:

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 01, 2024, 10:14:37 PM
got my replacement red farmer X from knifecenter and it literally has the exact same issue as the first one

:facepalm:

pretty frustrating because they reassured me the replacement would be checked to avoid sending me a knife with the same issue.

:twak:

sure maybe could try to bend the saw or just look past this issue but it's the principle of the darn thing.

also feel like if i keep it every time I'd look at that knifecenter logo I would just end up cursing them!
  :rant: :rofl:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 10:31:20 PM by Explorer »

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 01, 2024, 10:51:15 PM
     Sounds like they shipped the same stinkin knife back to you.  I'd ask for a refund.  Best wishes G
 :rant:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: February 01, 2024, 10:56:29 PM
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Enginears

Reply #13 on: February 01, 2024, 11:00:41 PM
Thats annoying. Sounds like refund time. What a long bummer explorer, I hope you can find a reasonable alternative somewhere.

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 01, 2024, 11:56:08 PM
both were like this- way to the left sitting on the liner for the scissors. they both seem way off and I'm not even sure bending the saw would fix this.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 01:13:04 AM by Explorer »

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 02, 2024, 12:31:14 AM
 I put her name on my post, but decided to delete it.  Easy to find, anyway.   :twak:

« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 12:49:55 AM by IMR4198 »

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 02, 2024, 01:21:03 AM
yeah I don't want to create any bad blood against knife Center and I think since they're only gonna give me a partial refund I'm probably gonna end up keeping it and trying to bend the saw into place. I might try what Felix suggested in that video that Mike posted.

it is a rather beautiful color red...

just need to do something about removing that knife Center logo!

i'll keep you awl posted

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 02, 2024, 01:29:39 AM
You are taking some nice close ups.  How about a view from the top?  Don't worry about giving that company a bad name.  They are doing that themselves.  Best wishes.  G
 :think:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: February 02, 2024, 01:36:04 AM
How about sawing something and see if that helps the blade?
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Enginears

Reply #19 on: February 02, 2024, 01:57:19 AM
I have straightened a number of older and modded saws that became out of whack. You may find it wanting to twist a bit, just a heads up. As for the logo, I have been meaning to tape all around it and start hitting it with fine sand paper. I am thinking even if I end up with a silver patch I will prefer it.

Partial refund!?! That’s unfortunate.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 02, 2024, 02:05:49 AM
    I looked over several of my 91mm with a saw.  That saw looks only out of true by a couple of mm.  That should be a piece of cake to fix.  (A shame you have to do anything with two knives in a row.  Or maybe the same one twice.)  Does this one make the grinding sound that you described before?  Best wishes.  G
 :popcorn:

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 02, 2024, 02:20:41 AM
thanks G luckily the saw on this one is not making the scraping sound like the other one was.

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: February 02, 2024, 02:21:22 AM
just came up from my shop i tried the method from the felix video using the vice and sticks. it took some doing because it was way out whack but i finally got the sawblade straightened out and it is now seating as it should.
 :woohoo:

guess all my b@tching and moaning was for nothing.

:facepalm:

« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 02:28:21 AM by Explorer »

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 02, 2024, 02:30:39 AM
Sounds good.  You have a nice looking knife at the original price you paid.  The saw straightening experience was all to the good as well.  Flush the treatment you got from that company from your mind and be content.  Best wishes.  G
 :cheers:

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 02, 2024, 02:35:05 AM
you're right my friend i'm gonna flush and move on and upwards thanks G
 :cheers:

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 02, 2024, 02:36:14 AM
As for the logo, I have been meaning to tape all around it and start hitting it with fine sand paper. I am thinking even if I end up with a silver patch I will prefer it.

i was thinking the same thing. i wonder if anyone has attempted this already?  :think:

i'm definitely going to remove that SAKrilegious logo!

the more i handle this thing the more i'm starting to love the deep red alox color it has  >:D  :ahhh

us Offline Enginears

Reply #26 on: February 02, 2024, 02:53:52 AM
Yeah post pics if you end up doing that.  :tu: I agree the red is great. The shade really is nice on the eyes and also pops when the sun hits it.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: February 02, 2024, 04:07:39 PM
Glad you got it sorted.  I find a little b-ing and moaning gets my creativity flowing to solve a issue. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD