Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leather Sheath option

ca Offline jcs0001

Leather Sheath option
on: August 11, 2016, 07:03:43 PM
I've bought a few used multi tools and larger knives lately and most have not come with sheaths.  I am out of decent leather to make them - I'm no leatherworker but can manage a simple molded sheath if necessary.  I cannot find heavy veggy tanned leather locally and would prefer to not deal online as I won't know what I am getting and shipping is expensive.  My wife is quite patient however I'm not sure that she is convinced that I need even more tools for another hobby :)

I recently discovered that the Mountain Equipment Coop (mec.ca) carries several sizes of leather sheath made in Eastern Canada by Valley Leather.  They carry one sheath advertised as a "Swiss Army" sheath in three sizes and another in one size advertised as a "Long blade sheath".  The prices range from $12.75 to $14.75 Can.

I did a quick check for Valley Leather and came up with a company in Nova Scotia by that name - it is likely that they are the manufacturer however as far as I know they do not have a web presence.

I bought one of the "long blade sheaths" yesterday and found that it was a simple yet very nicely made molded leather sheath and that it fits several tools:

- Victorinox Hiker XT - perfect fit
- Gerber blunt nosed older multiplier - a bit loose
- Gerber MP400 - a bit loose
- old and new wave - a bit loose
- Victorinox Swiss tool - tool is too big.

The only "con" to the sheath is that the inside of the rivets and snap are unprotected so they could conceivably rub on a tool.  However they are well set into the leather and I doubt that this will be a problem.  If it was it would be relatively simple to use a bit of contact cement and light leather to cover them.

For a simple and effective sheath I doubt these can be beat for quality and cost effectiveness.

John.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Leather Sheath option
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 07:18:05 PM
Very nice looking!

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Leather Sheath option
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 05:48:26 PM
That's a good looking sheath mate. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%