Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Modding a Charge AL

pomsbz · 48 · 4324

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Modding a Charge AL
on: August 11, 2016, 07:59:51 PM
Hi,

I have a new Charge AL.

Two things are bugging me somewhat. First of all the scissors are tiny. Secondly although I could care less about the eyeglass tool, I would really like a second bit driver.

I know that the Charge ALX would give me the second bit driver but at the expense of the flat screwdriver which I wouldn't mind keeping, specifically as a mini pry bar.

My idea was the following.

1. Remove mini scissors and eyeglass tool and install second bit tool.

2. Remove serrated blade (which I have no use for anyway) and replace with Surge scissors.

Part 1 seems to be easy enough, there looks to be enough room there (I don't have a micrometer to check though). Part 2 is confusing me. The Surge scissors are intended to be on the other side of the tool to the serrated blade, they will be the wrong way round. Or am I getting confused and they would work fine? I realise I'd have to make a cutout in the scales to make them accessible.

Can you kind folk let me know if and where I'm going wrong with this idea?

Many thanks!

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Re: Modding a Charge AL
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 08:13:08 PM
Might be easier to put SAK scissors in the outside. Or Flik scissors. Both will take very minor modding but the Surge scissors aren't that great IMO

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 08:22:53 PM
Might be easier to put SAK scissors in the outside. Or Flik scissors. Both will take very minor modding but the Surge scissors aren't that great IMO

I was looking for plug and play solutions as I have no ability to do any 'real' modding :) Thanks for the heads up about the surge scissors though!
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 11:17:48 PM
I want to say Flik scissors are basically drop in.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 11:35:16 PM
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 05:24:49 AM
Part one will be fine.

Part two won't. The Surge scissors (which are great - don't listen to klamy) are too long.

The usual suspects are Wingman and SAK. Both options require some work.

I've only replaced the file or saw with the Wingman scissors. Would probably work replacing a blade but I haven't tried yet.

I would go with the SAK scissors.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 06:32:18 AM
I want to say Flik scissors are basically drop in.

They don't seem to be from the link above :) I have no ability to do any metal work I'm afraid.

What is involved with SAK scissors?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 03:54:45 PM
Good luck with the mods :cheers: Plenty of knowledgeable people here :tu: Don't be afraid to ask any kind of question in regard to mods :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 07:26:39 PM
Thank you for that link, how do those scissors compare to the built in one on the charge for cutting power? I have a Vic Outrider to hand (wife's), are those the same size scissors?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 07:42:10 PM by pomsbz »

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 07:41:03 PM
OK I see from here that they are:

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Scissors

I have to see if I can source these, if I take my wife's SAK apart she'll kill me, it was her 6 month anniversary present 15 years ago. It's still as solid as new. Really well made.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 08:10:32 PM
I don't yet have the tool to open up my Charge AL (on the way from Russia) so please be patient with me if this is a stupid question, would the scissors from the Charge fit in the slot where the serrated knife is? The hole diameter should be the same? I realise the nub would stick out a bit horizontally but there should be room for it in the cuttout. It's not going to be as big as the SAK scissors (though not that much smaller) but it will be direct plug and play.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 08:21:28 PM by pomsbz »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 09:36:30 PM
I don't yet have the tool to open up my Charge AL (on the way from Russia) so please be patient with me if this is a stupid question, would the scissors from the Charge fit in the slot where the serrated knife is? The hole diameter should be the same? I realise the nub would stick out a bit horizontally but there should be room for it in the cuttout. It's not going to be as big as the SAK scissors (though not that much smaller) but it will be direct plug and play.

Never have seen anyone do that :think: Worth a shot though :cheers: I think most people want bigger scissors in that spot may be the reason (but it may not work and that be the reason I have never seen it :D ) Good luck on the mod and let us know how it goes :tu: Also let us know if the scissors work or not so we will know what to tell people next time  ;)

Guess you are getting the tools from loki-mobile :tu: I have those and the wrenches and they are superb :dd:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 11:33:32 PM

The scissors pivot and tang is smaller. Even if you enlarged the pivot I'm not sure you could get it to work with the liner lock. And if you could it still wouldn't be worth the effort.

I've used the Charge scissors for years. They might look small but they actually do work pretty well.

These days if a MT doesn't have scissors then I will carry a SwissCard and/or a Pioneer X with it.
Let me rephrase that.
I have a SwissCard (Nailcare) in my wallet and if I don't have my wallet on me then I'll have the Pioneer X in my pocket.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 06:47:34 AM

The scissors pivot and tang is smaller. Even if you enlarged the pivot I'm not sure you could get it to work with the liner lock. And if you could it still wouldn't be worth the effort.

I've used the Charge scissors for years. They might look small but they actually do work pretty well.

These days if a MT doesn't have scissors then I will carry a SwissCard and/or a Pioneer X with it.
Let me rephrase that.
I have a SwissCard (Nailcare) in my wallet and if I don't have my wallet on me then I'll have the Pioneer X in my pocket.

I have a LM Style CS on my keychain already so it's not that crucial to have scissors at all. I have no need for the serrated blade however and was trying to do something useful with the space :)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 11:49:12 PM
If you could also do without the saw or file then for a very minimal effort you could go skinny.

I'm usually in my office, but I do spend a fair amount of time in the lab at work, so I modded this Skinny Charge to meet my office EDC needs. :D

(Image removed from quote.)

I needed scissors because some of the electronic components in the lab come in packages that specifically say "OPEN WITH SCISSORS, DO NOT USE KNIFE OR RAZOR BLADE." I also wanted to have a 3/32" hex bit because I frequently need that size driver in the lab, but I can NEVER FIND IT because people don't put things away. :rant:

anyway, this modded ALX gives me everything I need at work and nothing that I don't... except for maybe the opener, but that comes in handy when I get home after a long day in the lab. :D actually, the wire stripper portion of the opener is actually very handy once you practice with it a bit.

oh, and I probably don't need the Rebar plier head either, but I was modding the Charge anyway, and I found a lightly used Rebar for pretty cheap on ebay, so....

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 06:34:22 AM
If you could also do without the saw or file then for a very minimal effort you could go skinny.

I'm usually in my office, but I do spend a fair amount of time in the lab at work, so I modded this Skinny Charge to meet my office EDC needs. :D

I needed scissors because some of the electronic components in the lab come in packages that specifically say "OPEN WITH SCISSORS, DO NOT USE KNIFE OR RAZOR BLADE." I also wanted to have a 3/32" hex bit because I frequently need that size driver in the lab, but I can NEVER FIND IT because people don't put things away. :rant:

anyway, this modded ALX gives me everything I need at work and nothing that I don't... except for maybe the opener, but that comes in handy when I get home after a long day in the lab. :D actually, the wire stripper portion of the opener is actually very handy once you practice with it a bit.

oh, and I probably don't need the Rebar plier head either, but I was modding the Charge anyway, and I found a lightly used Rebar for pretty cheap on ebay, so....

Thank you, is it possible for a link where I could see the pics? I could do without the saw and serrated blade if that helps. :)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 06:46:25 AM

Thank you, is it possible for a link where I could see the pics? I could do without the saw and serrated blade if that helps. :)

You should be able to click on the (image removed from quote) part to show the pic, or the quote title for a link to the post.
Direct link to the post --> http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,49483.msg827517.html#msg827517
I made one from Charge parts a while ago and really liked it.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 03:31:07 PM
Here is part 1 of the mod.

I've replaced the scissors and eyeglass tool with another bit driver. Went well aside from the panic after assembly when discovering an unused washer (I took out 3 tools and put in 2, duh!). The new bit driver (on side of flathead driver) is catching very slightly on the lip of the lock at the beginning of opening. The other one doesn't do that. Can someone tell me what I've done wrong?

A friend is sending me a pair of SAK 91mm scissors to put in place of the serrated blade. Here's to hoping that it goes well!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 03:32:39 PM by pomsbz »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 03:33:29 PM
 :tu:   :tu:   :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 03:50:08 PM
Looking good. Not sure what you mean about catching the lock when you first open it. Is it hanging up?
Nate

SEND IT!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 04:00:52 PM
Looking good. Not sure what you mean about catching the lock when you first open it. Is it hanging up?

Yeah, just very slightly. You can see on the backside of the hinge where it is flat rather than rounded? That edge is what's catching on the lock very slightly, just enough for it not to be perfectly smooth on rotating the tool out.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 04:48:47 PM
Gotcha. Does not sound like anything you done. Probably the bit holder might have been milled just a little off. Should be able to rounds it off pretty ease and polish back smooth.
Nate

SEND IT!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 05:00:25 PM
Gotcha. Does not sound like anything you done. Probably the bit holder might have been milled just a little off. Should be able to rounds it off pretty ease and polish back smooth.

Cool, should wear in then.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 07:43:33 PM
I have to apologise, it's been almost two years!

I finally got round to part 2 of the mod! Finally my Charge AL is how I always wanted it. Perfect!

The observant will already have worked it out.

A kind soul on another forum provided the donor SAK scissors. They dropped right it after having the hole drilled out courtesy of a metal shop. It's even OHO! I will file the butt of the pivot down to engage the lock when open some time when I'm bored, it's really not urgent, there is plenty friction and it locks at the half stop anyway so can't close on my hand at all.

...and here is the final tool. Two bit tools to hand like I had on my Skeletool, a flat head/pry bar and nice big scissors ready to hand rather than tucked away instead of the serrated blade I neither use or want. The eyeglass tool also had to go. Won't be missed. I have a Rambler on my keychain if I should ever have the need of that function.

Thoughts? This was the mod that brought me first to the forum two years ago, creating this thread, to see if it was possible. Thank you!

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:11:32 PM by pomsbz »

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #27 on: April 17, 2018, 09:04:57 PM
Very nice.   :like:

Did you consider an awl?  Or dedicated Phillips driver?  (Both from the LM Blast line.)

Do the scissors catch on the pin-thing that locks blades shut?  I filed down this piece on my modded Wave.

With 4 bit driver heads on board already, you could modify the large flat head into a chisel blade / scraper type tool.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 09:07:06 PM by BePrepared »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: April 18, 2018, 02:47:27 AM
Very nice pomz :like: It has a great tool compliment and can be carried by itself and have everything a person should need in regular day to day life :tu: :like:

SAK scissors really are the best :dd: LM scissors are fine but having them outside and ready to use is much more handy as well :salute:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: April 18, 2018, 06:47:00 AM
Very nice.   :like:

Did you consider an awl?  Or dedicated Phillips driver?  (Both from the LM Blast line.)

Do the scissors catch on the pin-thing that locks blades shut?  I filed down this piece on my modded Wave.

With 4 bit driver heads on board already, you could modify the large flat head into a chisel blade / scraper type tool.
I really don't need an awl in day to day life. If I really need one, I've got a Farmer in the BoB in the car. :)

I far prefer bits to dedicated. I have there a phillips #1 & 2 as well as a hex 4mm & 5mm, these are by far my most used heads. That together with the big flat and I can do pretty much anything at home or in work.

The scissors don't catch at all which is nice. :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%