Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Contender 5- 20 in 1 Multi-Tools Metal Black Stainless Pocket Tool Keychain

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Contender 5 in the Fantastic Five Dollar Challenge is one I have seen kicking around an awful lot.  It showed up on the Great $2 Challenge but repeatedly eluded the strict budget I had set.

To be honest, I am not certain what to expect with this one.  On the surface it seems like it could be quite handy, but then I am somewhat skeptical of using a screwdriver mounted with a screw.

Will it twist or slip when you are trying to use it?  Will you end up cutting your fingers when/if it does?  As someone who has cut himself more times than he can remember when a multitool screwdriver has folded unexpectedly I have to wonder.

I also have to wonder if the screw is going to come loose and the screwdriver doodad might get lost?

Sure there are still functions on the main body of the tool, but the screwdrivers tend to be, for me at least, the most used component of any multitool.

So it lists all 20 functions, which I will admit, is an impressive list for such a relatively small tool- but how many of them are actually functional, and how many were just added in to make the list look impressive?

For example, the pry bar seems like it would be even lighter duty than most multitool prybars as I can't imagine that big open carabiner area provides much strength.

I also wonder if that file is going to make a mess of my pocket, or whatever I carry it on? 

Still, it has seemed to be quite popular lately, and keeps cropping up all over the place.  I have been curious to give it a shot, and to be honest, it looks like one of the more useable tools in this challenge.  For the $2.47 this one cost and free shipping it also worked out to be the second cheapest, so this one is starting out strong.  Let's just hope it lives up to my expectations.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
I'd be tempted to remove the driver part and put it on my keys.  :D

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!

Better get a Vic SwissCard tool "refill". Smaller and better quality.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas

Better get a Vic SwissCard tool "refill". Smaller and better quality.

(Image removed from quote.)

I was thinking the same thing.  A few times in writing the above I had to refrain from calling it a Quattro!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Just to reiterate what I said in the main thread, this one is a copy of the True Utility FIXR

Keep 'em coming, Grant! :tu:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 11:55:32 PM by Aleph78 »
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
I'm not certain this is so much a copy as it may just be the white label version.  Companies like True Utility don't manufacture or design the tools they offer, they merely buy them by the container load, put their names on them and sell them as their own.

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
I have one of these on its way to me. I couldn't resist ordering one a few days ago.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Manny Sanchez III

I had one of these and hated it. Weighed down my keys, "tape cutter" on it sucked (and I tested it on a ton of boxes!), blade was in an awkward spot, and the bike spoke wrench did not fit the spokes on my bike!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
I had one of these and hated it. Weighed down my keys, "tape cutter" on it sucked (and I tested it on a ton of boxes!), blade was in an awkward spot, and the bike spoke wrench did not fit the spokes on my bike!

And that is the problem with multitools. Designers want to throw so many different functions into a design without giving any thought to the art of how they will actually be used.

There is a serious art to tool design that most designers don't think about or understand, and that's at all levels.  I can tell you a couple of top name manufacturers that have that problem too.

Def

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
I have 2 of these as well. They are fairly useless. The "screwdrivers" on both of mine are not ground beyond the initial stamping, this makes them lumpy and unable to fit anything. The abrasive rubs on evreything. The wrenches are in odd places or sizes. The pry tool is the only part that function properly, but a widgy is smaller lighter and better for that.
In the end it has tons of functions that dont function at all.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:57:00 AM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
I have 2 of these as well. They are fairly useless. The "screwdrivers" on both of mine are not ground beyond the initial stamping, this makes them lumpy and unable to fit anything. The abrasive rubs on evreything. The wrenches are in odd places or sizes. The pry tool is the only part that function properly, but a widgy is smaller lighter and better for that.
In the end it has tons of functions that dont function at all.

So you don't believe that it is worth $5?

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Contender 5 arrived today and so far it is the only tool I seem positive about.

While it isn't great, it certainly feels like the functional (but not high polish) quality that I expect from companies like True Utility, Swiss Tech and Sebertech.  This particular piece actually says True Utility FIXR on the reverse side, and I have no reason to believe this is an illegitimate copy of the FIXR.

The Quattro (I'm going to call the brass piece that since it reminds me of the four sided screwdriver on the Swiss Card Quattro) rotates into 8 positions- on each 90 and 45 degree angle. 

There's a small cutter tucked away inside the carabiner that is conveniently covered by the Quattro when not in use- a very sensible thing to add, since keychain tools often have dull, non locking or exposed cutting surfaces, none of which is are that safe or effective in use.  This one is pretty small but I'm looking forward to seeing if it is actually functional or not.

The wrenches seem a little too recessed to be of any significant use, and there are a few other concerns I have with the overall design, but it sure seems to make a lot more sense than the other two contenders that have already arrived.  One of those issues is the file.

I don't like the file being exposed, and I wonder about the usefulness of it- I would like to see a diamond file, similar to the type found on the Leatherman Charge or PST II.  But, it's effectiveness will be tested in time.

So far this unit appears to be the best of the bunch, although the bunch is so far limited to three units, so that may not be saying much. 

Def

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
I am still pretty convinced the winner will be whatever injures you the least...  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Yeah, that is the plan, although Contender 1 came very close today!   :ahhh

Def

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
I actually like this one... might make a nice keychain toy when flying  :popcorn:
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
I used the cutter last night to cut the strap off a box and it actually worked quite nicely.  All you have to do is clip the carabiner on the strap, flip the Quattro so that the blade is exposed, and give it a quick tug. 

It could be a bit sharper since it is covered, and it could have a bit more of a V shape on either side to better lead things onto the blade, but it was certainly functional enough for what I needed it for, and, let's face it, at this price point "functional enough" with no bells or whistles is about all you can truly expect.

Def

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
I have one of thoses. I was rather surprised how well made it was and some of the functions worked rather well. It's no PowerLock or a Surge, but it is a nice little back up to keep in the bag. Did yours come with a little sheath.
Nate

SEND IT!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
I used the cutter last night to cut the strap off a box and it actually worked quite nicely.  All you have to do is clip the carabiner on the strap, flip the Quattro so that the blade is exposed, and give it a quick tug. 

It could be a bit sharper since it is covered, and it could have a bit more of a V shape on either side to better lead things onto the blade, but it was certainly functional enough for what I needed it for, and, let's face it, at this price point "functional enough" with no bells or whistles is about all you can truly expect.

Def

If the cutter would be upside down, with the edge closer to the rotating piece, it would be safer, right? Any chance of placing it like that?

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
I have one of thoses. I was rather surprised how well made it was and some of the functions worked rather well. It's no PowerLock or a Surge, but it is a nice little back up to keep in the bag. Did yours come with a little sheath.

No I didn't get a sheath with it, but I'm also not really sure how or why you would want one with a tool like this.

Def

If the cutter would be upside down, with the edge closer to the rotating piece, it would be safer, right? Any chance of placing it like that?

I just tried and it can indeed be done, but I don't think the edge is much more than half a millimeter from where it initially was, so I am not certain how much safer it will be.

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Well, like she said, we never know until we try...

8) 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Well it is more of a sleeve that leaves the carabiner open. I will post a pic of it later when I get home after work.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Pics as promised.
20160901_173233_1024x1024.jpg
* 20160901_173233_1024x1024.jpg (Filesize: 180.5 KB)
20160901_173214_1024x1024.jpg
* 20160901_173214_1024x1024.jpg (Filesize: 214.1 KB)
Nate

SEND IT!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Cute, but I think I would want to cut a notch in it to keep it from retaining moisture- or not use it at all.

Def

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Pics as promised.

Hmm, it seems it doesn't cover the file, the part I would have found most necessary to cover.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Pics as promised.

Hmm, it seems it doesn't cover the file, the part I would have found most necessary to cover.

Good point!

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
My copy just arrived today. Seems solid enough.

50 cal bottle opener versus the tool.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 01:36:14 PM by Chako »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
You do realize that this series is about finding tools that are worth buying, not encouraging you to buy whatever gets posted!   :pok:

Of course, you are free to interpret them however you see fit....  :ahhh

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Nothing like diving into the pit of ultra cheap. I paid 3.39 Canadian with free shipping for this one. I sort of like this. I am now carrying this one on my key chain.

Grant...I hope you know that I use MT.O for ideas.  :whistle:

Did you order those tactical hair-clips yet?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 12:38:11 AM by Chako »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Nothing like diving into the pit of ultra cheap. I paid 3.39 Canadian with free shipping for this one. I sort of like this. I am now carrying this one on my key chain.

Grant...I hope you know that I use MT.O for ideas.  :whistle:

Did you order those tactical hair-clips yet?

Got them around the time of the  $2 Challenge. :D

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
The late bird never gets the worm....it is true!  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24