Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Messing with fire last night.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Messing with fire last night.
on: August 15, 2016, 05:53:05 PM
I haven't played with fire in a while so last night was me having a play. 
I got out my fire making stuff and had a go. 

The fire piston is a PITA but fun  :think:.  It took several strikes to get the charred cloth to ignite but oh what satisfaction.  I would not rely on this method unless your piston is solid.  Mine is homemade and not all to reliable since the seal isn't tight.

Fat wood is great stuff.  The "saw dust" looking stuff is fat wood dust.  It was a bit dry so I used it more for an additive to my pine sap.  Those two mixed together makes for an easy light with ferro rod. 

Fat wood alone light pretty easy.  Thinly shaved and sparked with my cheap ferro rod its lights up nice.  Add in the dust or pine sap and no problem. 

I dislike that Mora for fire making.  I need to work on that knifes spine to be able to scrape better.  I used my Waves saw back to strike the ferro and scrape the fat wood. 

I usually have a ferro rod striker rather than use the back of knives.  Simple hacksaw blade works fine. 

The rock and broken file were supposed to be my "flint and steel".  The rock sparks but just not enough to light charred cloth.  The file was sanded to expose raw metal and produce a 90 degree edge. 

When I'm out fat wood hunting I take the file to check rocks.  That rock is sparking just not enough.   

IMG_1389 copy.jpg
* IMG_1389 copy.jpg (Filesize: 214.99 KB)
IMG_1390 copy.jpg
* IMG_1390 copy.jpg (Filesize: 175.26 KB)
IMG_1391 copy.jpg
* IMG_1391 copy.jpg (Filesize: 186.6 KB)
IMG_1393 copy.jpg
* IMG_1393 copy.jpg (Filesize: 155.93 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Re: Messing with fire last night.
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 06:05:00 PM
Well done for getting the fire piston to work, I gave mine away!
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 06:16:53 PM

I made a thread on the fire piston.  I saw a lady make one on youtube and thought I'd give it a try.  I actually made two and mine is a PITA.  My roommates works a lot better as the seal is tighter.  I can hear air leak out when I strike it  :twak:.  Its fun to actually get the charred cloth to ignite tho  :ahhh

I would not rely on a fire piston in the wild tho.  Its fun and thats pretty much it. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 07:57:26 PM

I made a thread on the fire piston.  I saw a lady make one on youtube and thought I'd give it a try.  I actually made two and mine is a PITA.  My roommates works a lot better as the seal is tighter.  I can hear air leak out when I strike it  :twak:.  Its fun to actually get the charred cloth to ignite tho  :ahhh

I would not rely on a fire piston in the wild tho.  Its fun and thats pretty much it.

Cool way to start a fire though 8)

I must have missed the fire piston thread or I just have forgot about it one :facepalm: What is the name of it Aloha :think: Sounds like I may try my hand at making one as  well if I can get the time :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 08:01:11 PM
Fun project to do with your daughter.  We were able to make two out of the parts. 

https://youtu.be/jGyl8w16VbU
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 08:36:13 PM
Fun project to do with your daughter.  We were able to make two out of the parts. 

https://youtu.be/jGyl8w16VbU

Thanks for that I will check it out :salute: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24