Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad by logging in.

How good is the quality on the Victorinox Delémont line? 398

Hero Member Posts: 608 SAK 4 life
How good is the quality on the Victorinox Delémont line?
« on: June 26, 2018, 05:31:26 PM »
I did briefly own an Evolution S111 about a year or two ago. It had a terrible gritty action on half the tools, so I returned it. That is the only experience I have with any knives in the Delémont collection. I have read other posts and reviews that mentioned that the snap on the tools was inferior to that on standard Victorinox models, but you can find reviews that say anything, and there could be some variation between different SAKs. So I pose the question to you guys, some of whom have probably handled many Delémont SAKs. How does the quality compare to Victorinox's in house models, specifically in terms of the action and snap of the tools?

Head Turd Polisher Administrator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 59,448 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: How good is the quality on the Victorinox Delémont line?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 06:17:13 PM »
If you judge it as a Victorinox model then it will probably fall short.

The Delemont line used to be Wenger, and while their Fit and Finish may have been slightly lower than Victorinox I always found that they were still head and shoulders above pretty well everyone else.  They made up for it, in my opinion at least, by being much more advanced than Victorinox, with many better designs.

I haven't handled a lot of the Deelmont line from Victorinox, but I have handled an awful lot of Wengers in my day, and the few Delemonts I have used seemed identical to the old Wenger versions.

Def

NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!

NEW PRODUCTS ADDED DAILY!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 06:26:09 PM »
I mean it's hard not to judge the Delémonts by Victorinox standards now that they are owned by Victorinox and have their logo stamped on the side. It doesn't help that I never really handled any Wengers and have handled a lot of Vics. It's difficult to take a step down in quality, but a lot of the Delémont models look really enticing so I am split.

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,158

Nix us

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 07:06:52 PM »
I've got a wood-scaled S10 (85mm) and a massive Rangerwood 55 (130mm).

Both are excellent quality.

I'll caveat that claim by saying that I haven't carried either one for an extended period of time. The 85mm was with me for a week long road-trip and was just great. The Rangerwood has gone on a few day hikes, but has seen limited use.

I'd buy another Delémont in a heartbeat.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:08:00 PM by Nix »
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,426
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 07:15:40 PM »
Nothing bad to report.

And I LOVE the ingenuinity behind their scissors and pliers designs.

Got about 2 Delemonts and 3 Wengers and they are all on the same page for me.

Wenger even designed their scales to cover the liners back in the days. Shows how much they cared about aesthetics.
Same for their tweezer and toothpick setup.

Buy now or regret later
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 07:47:20 PM »
I've got a wood-scaled S10 (85mm) and a massive Rangerwood 55 (130mm).

The evowoods don't have the t&t&, right? They do look darn sexy though!

Edit: I confirmed through a youtube video that evowoods don't have the t&t. New question, do the evolution or evogrip models have the little hole for the straight pin behind the corkscrew/Philips driver?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:53:27 PM by GoatDragon »

Nix us

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 08:05:15 PM »
Right. 

Neither the 85 nor the 130 has T&T. Too bad. No pin holes either.

I do really like the blade shape of the 85mm: a nice subtle leaf shape makes it a great slicer.  On the other hand, I think the nail tool could benefit from a slightly bigger run of file space. Still the quality is spot on. As a stand alone tool set it's incomplete for me, but I do love the way it carries.

With the 130mm, I usually pair that with a 58 or 74mm with T&T and scissors. A Classic in the pocket, the Rangerwood in a sheath.  So I don't mind the absence in this case quite as much.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:07:13 PM by Nix »
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 12,249 Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 08:57:49 PM »
all the Délemonts I had were good, very good
and I loved them!! Definitely quality pieces  :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 09:08:13 PM »
Has anyone else gotten a Delémont with super gritty action (new out of the box) like the one I had, or was that a rare anomaly?

No Life Club Posts: 2,437 Carpe titanium
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 10:55:52 PM »
My Delemont Evolution 10 doesn't have a pin hole behind the  corkscrew.

My Rangergrip 61 doesn't either but does have T&T and the snap is excellent.

Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake
Global Moderator Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,500 SAK Surgeon
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 11:03:52 PM »
The wenger versions were better, but since you cant get those now, if you want these models the delemonts are ok.  I find them pretty weird overall since they slapped in some standard vic parts that didnt quite fit up as good as the normal wenger ones, but whatever.  I cant imagine them being made available for the long term since no way they sell as well as the standard Vic line it seems odd to put much resources into them.

From a modder point of view, I messed with a few and they were a total pain to work on so never ever again. 

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Nix us

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 11:05:34 PM »
Nice insights, Syph.  :tu:
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 11:41:29 PM »
The wenger versions were better, but since you cant get those now, if you want these models the delemonts are ok.  I find them pretty weird overall since they slapped in some standard vic parts that didnt quite fit up as good as the normal wenger ones, but whatever.  I cant imagine them being made available for the long term since no way they sell as well as the standard Vic line it seems odd to put much resources into them.

From a modder point of view, I messed with a few and they were a total pain to work on so never ever again.

The inclusion of some Vic parts, the can opener specifically, is what makes the Delémont so enticing to me in the first place. The tip of that can opener is one of my most used multi-purpose tools on any SAK, and the Wenger one with the curved tip looked awful. That being said I never considered how adding Vic parts to Wenger designs would effect the fit of the tools.

Can you elaborate more about a modder's perspective on how they are a total pain to work with?

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 10,705 Hidalgo, Castillo del Hook
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 11:48:14 PM »
Has anyone else gotten a Delémont with super gritty action (new out of the box) like the one I had, or was that a rare anomaly?
I’ve heard of Victorinox models doing that sometimes, I think it fixes itself over time with lots of closing and opening, and a couple of bubble baths and oiling? 
 :think:

Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Small knives can do what big knives do, just slower.

My 30 day pen challenge! Pretty(?) Pictures inside:
Official 30 Day Pen Challenge!
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 11:49:46 PM »
I’ve heard of Victorinox models doing that sometimes, I think it fixes itself over time with lots of closing and opening, and a couple of bubble baths and oiling? 
 :think:

I own at least a dozen Vics and all of them have been smooth as butter out of the box. About a year ago I ordered my first and only Delémont, and when it arrived the action was super gritty, so I sent it back with out a second thought.  :whistle:

Nix us

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 11:50:28 PM »
GD,

I love having the Vic Can Opener in the Deli 85mm. I've seen no issues--from a user's point of view--with it's inclusion in this Wenger design.
Global Moderator Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here... Posts: 44,624
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 01:35:32 AM »
I have about 3 that I have carried and they were always spot on with my Vic SAKs :cheers: just easier to get hold of Vic parts to mod is why I modded one :tu: I always liked the wider blade of Wenger/Delemont over Vic as well :think:

It was a great brand I was sad to see them go but at least you can still get them even if they are rebranded :like:

Operational Funds

Keep the Unworkable working! Donate with PayPal!
July Goal: $275.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: $114.00
PayPal Fees: $7.62
Net Balance: $106.38
Below Goal: $168.62
Site Currency: USD
39% 
July Donations

Community Links