Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Been doing some work in the Wiki

Huntsman · 872 · 74819

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Been doing some work in the Wiki
Reply #300 on: May 29, 2019, 02:45:12 PM
Huntsman, I was just merely asking for background on the sakwiki approach... ie, why no soecific mention or page on the model 1908... Not only did it have the clip point blade, but the screw driver tool is different...

Ulli’s soldier evolution pic is to the point in terms of milestones but does not mention the model numbers...

Another basis for the query, is I was asked in a discussion on the local Indonesian SAK grp about this as well, when there are alot of references to the specific model 1908...

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Re: Been doing some work in the Wiki
Reply #301 on: May 29, 2019, 02:47:35 PM
Oh here’s the edited Wenger Soldat pic...

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #302 on: May 31, 2019, 01:37:25 AM
I updated the 1890 Soldier page to really make clear the evolution of the 1890 model through the 1901 and 1908 variations
https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Soldier+1890

This was a good suggestion and improvement - Thanks Jaya

- As always comments/feedback/requests welcome

Hoping to get onto the catalogues next and finish off updating the Battle Series

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #303 on: June 01, 2019, 09:53:15 PM
Maybe interesting for the Wiki:
Wenger Porsche including paperwork

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #304 on: June 01, 2019, 11:05:07 PM
:ahhh

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #305 on: June 01, 2019, 11:18:53 PM
 :tu:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #306 on: June 11, 2019, 04:45:01 AM
Maybe interesting for the Wiki: Wenger Porsche including paperwork

It was   :tu:  ...... https://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wenger+Porsche+Design+Series    :D
The page was also a bit messed up - So I fixed it!

Mauser variant also added - Thanks Meccy
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 07:23:49 AM by Huntsman »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #307 on: June 11, 2019, 06:45:56 AM
:salute:

Good job :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #308 on: June 11, 2019, 08:58:47 AM
Great page Huntsman.  :like:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #309 on: June 26, 2019, 07:00:00 AM
The confusion arises because the SAK collecting community - the American community in particular - over the years has come up with what I call "collector's names" to refer to certain models. In almost all cases, this is done when the model either didn't have an official name (as was typical prior to the mid 1970s) or where it's official name was subsequently recycled onto another knife. These names are typically derived from either their 91mm equivalents (e.g. Huntsman Small) or from names found in catalogs from other countries. The SIMCO Canadian catalogs especially have contributed several "collector's names".

The knife we call the "Artisan" (136k, aka 84mm Fieldmaster) was sold in the US as the "Craftsman" almost exclusively. We use the Artisan name (French for Craftsman, btw) from the SIMCO to avoid confusion with the 91mm models of the same name. I have a several of these NIB - the boxes all say "Craftsman".

This is back from 2014...but perhaps this clears up some of the Craftsman 136ka issues regarding the use of 'Artisan'.  Perhaps since jazzbass said it more than 5 years ago, there's a chance some will believe it's true.

I was actually looking for something else when I found this...related somewhat.  I have a theory that the actual 50 Master Craftsman knives ordered by NASA in '78 were the fish scaler version.  #5044 (US) referenced in the NASA letter may cross reference the 1.47 93 version.  The 1976 dealer catalog may support the theory too.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #310 on: June 27, 2019, 04:04:00 AM
^^^ Great find KK - I think most of us acknowledge that JB is the highest of the higher authorities !!   ;)
Also I think SAKWiki editors have also been guilty of inventing a name every now and again !

I gotta admit I am finding this name re-using; different names for the same models; different names in different markets;  and 'made up names' thing to be getting more than a little frustrating.  :pok:
I know I shouldn't as the situation has evolved over many decades and has only come about as the world is shrinking and we now have collectors interested in SAKs from years ago that were only ever conceived as working tools/pocket knives for sale in a certain geography!

That is a really interesting theory about the NASA Craftsmen though - So you reckon NASA bought and sent up the six layer model that we now call the Craftsman
For sure  ..... In the 76 dealer catalogue the six layer one is indeed called the Master Craftsman - And then you look at the 1982 catalogue and its called the Craftsman ....... Grrrrrr - see what I mean !
However I am a little sceptical of this theory as the model that ended up as the "Space Shuttle'' model - For sure is five layers and I would have thought that model matched the one NASA bought?  ??? - Thoughts   :think:

Anyway updating the Craftsmen pages is probably bubbled to the top of the Wiki do list. Will put a post here when it's done.
Also I am due one of my big Wiki update posts now as a lot has happened since the last one!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 08:25:27 AM by Huntsman »

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #311 on: June 27, 2019, 09:44:51 AM
Not handled this sample yet (on reserve for me), but here’s a Master Craftsman with chisel back tool but no hook, so it appears there are early versions with this configuration. Hook was introduced around 1991 but not sure when the chisel was introduced.  :dunno:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #312 on: June 27, 2019, 06:15:25 PM
^^^ Great find KK - I think most of us acknowledge that JB is the highest of the higher authorities !!   ;)
Also I think SAKWiki editors have also been guilty of inventing a name every now and again !

I gotta admit I am finding this name re-using; different names for the same models; different names in different markets;  and 'made up names' thing to be getting more than a little frustrating.  :pok:
I know I shouldn't as the situation has evolved over many decades and has only come about as the world is shrinking and we now have collectors interested in SAKs from years ago that were only ever conceived as working tools/pocket knives for sale in a certain geography!
I gotta agree. Just wish I read this earlier instead of having to figure it out (mostly) on my own!  :facepalm:

I do think the 'made up names' should be listed just like that...'Artisan' or 'Small Fieldmaster'...italics or some such indicator.  But since the wiki is somewhat name-based, I think there should be references and cross-links for *everything*... all variations under said name.

That is a really interesting theory about the NASA Craftsmen though - So you reckon NASA bought and sent up the six layer model that we now call the Craftsman
For sure  ..... In the 76 dealer catalogue the six layer one is indeed called the Master Craftsman - And then you look at the 1982 catalogue and its called the Craftsman ....... Grrrrrr - see what I mean !
However I am a little sceptical of this theory as the model that ended up as the "Space Shuttle'' model - For sure is five layers and I would have thought that model matched the one NASA bought?  ??? - Thoughts   :think:

Anyway updating the Craftsmen pages is probably bubbled to the top of the Wiki do list. Will put a post here when it's done.
Also I am due one of my big Wiki update posts now as a lot has happened since the last one!

Just another crazy theory to test. But as I do my chronology, I always question *everything* known first...I've learned a LOT by needing to 'prove' every single note I make.

There are other reasons that support the theory. The Astronauts are named such right at the same time that the Craftsman line is 'upgraded' with pliers.  I think the coincidence is hard to ignore...

Not handled this sample yet (on reserve for me), but here’s a Master Craftsman with chisel back tool but no hook, so it appears there are early versions with this configuration. Hook was introduced around 1991 but not sure when the chisel was introduced.  :dunno:

The chisel was the last tool added in the late '85 early '86 range, among the other c. '85 changes. Yours is a sample past c. '87, since it has the bevel past the eye on the awl tip. Without seeing it, I would bet that the main blade tang has a big V Victorinox.  So this knife is from the broad range from '87 right to '91 and I think is officially an Astronaut model because of the date.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #313 on: June 28, 2019, 06:35:27 AM
Thanks for the nicely summarized feedback on this topic kamakiri  :hatsoff:

Offline MiniChamp

Reply #314 on: June 28, 2019, 12:42:43 PM
I have a theory that the actual 50 Master Craftsman knives ordered by NASA in '78 were the fish scaler version.  #5044 (US) referenced in the NASA letter may cross reference the 1.47 93 version.
The book by Derek Jackson (pages 183-185 in the third edition; other pages in older editions) has a nice story about one of these SAKs getting used on a 1983 mission. It includes the attached image of the actual SAK.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 12:48:20 PM by MiniChamp »

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #315 on: June 28, 2019, 03:29:12 PM
Looks 5 layers to me. Also apparent Letter confirms #5044...fascinating story  :like:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #316 on: June 28, 2019, 07:30:06 PM
I've seen the documents and pictures.  I'm just not sure that the original 50 ordered were used on the '83 mission.  Say they originally ordered the 6 layer knife and somewhere in-between NASA thought to ditch the fish scaler for weight savings. When the knife is (re)issued circa '86, it was given a new name to celebrate the actual model used in space.  The main support for the theory is that the 5 layer version isn't seen in any of the US printed catalogs available from that time. Would be nice to find the #5044 link.

space-shuttle.jpg
* space-shuttle.jpg (Filesize: 57.29 KB)

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #317 on: June 28, 2019, 07:47:07 PM
Thanks for the nicely summarized feedback on this topic kamakiri  :hatsoff:

You're welcome! I did forget to add...that the easiest way to check the date would be to pop off the scales. (Not that I recommend doing it) They should both be stamped and dated underneath.  And the 1.0mm liner might be able to tell wether it's from the earlier or latter end of that '87-'91 range.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 08:52:00 PM by kamakiri »

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #318 on: June 28, 2019, 11:33:32 PM
I may do that when it arrives. I’ve found with a gentle warming I can pop of the scales without damaging the bosses.  :hatsoff:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #319 on: June 29, 2019, 10:13:44 AM
I may do that when it arrives. I’ve found with a gentle warming I can pop of the scales without damaging the bosses:hatsoff:

You should never damage a boss, it's bad for your career.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #320 on: June 29, 2019, 10:32:52 AM
In case anyone can get some more dating info from this:

- Boxed as an "Astronaut",
- "82" stamped on bottom of the box.
- all tools opened, so no chisel or hook
- VICTORINOX tang stamp (all letters same height)

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #321 on: June 29, 2019, 06:05:31 PM
:facepalm:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #322 on: June 30, 2019, 01:26:26 AM
In case anyone can get some more dating info from this:

- Boxed as an "Astronaut",
- "82" stamped on bottom of the box.
- all tools opened, so no chisel or hook
- VICTORINOX tang stamp (all letters same height)(Image removed from quote.)

Looks c. late '85/early '86.  I don't think I see a bevel on the awl toward the tip, but a shot of the awl closed could confirm. Still the white flocked/felted liner in the box?
:facepalm:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #323 on: June 30, 2019, 05:46:27 AM
Still not sure if #5044 the six layer 'Master' Craftsman.  It may be 'tied' to that Master Craftsman name for both 5 and 6 layers. Later, in the mid- '80s, late six layer *and* the first pliers Craftsman *both* appear to be #5020 in different catalogs.  Space Shuttles appear to have #5049, just to add to the confusion.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #324 on: June 30, 2019, 09:43:21 AM

Looks c. late '85/early '86.  I don't think I see a bevel on the awl toward the tip, but a shot of the awl closed could confirm. Still the white flocked/felted liner in the box? :facepalm:

Some hard plastic with a smooth touch to it, yes.

I'll get you the awl shot later :cheers:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #325 on: July 30, 2019, 02:08:18 PM
Just noticed that the Spartan page in the Wiki has reached 100,000 hits

It's the 14th most visited page
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 02:33:24 PM by Huntsman »

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #326 on: July 30, 2019, 06:24:21 PM
That’s impressive!  :cheers:

00 Offline sakwakky

Reply #327 on: September 18, 2019, 04:13:02 AM
I have so many pictures of saks that are NOT (yet) on sakwiki....I have registered and tried to figure out how to add some photos but I cannot seem to get it to work.  anyone want to tell me how or where is a simple place to learn?  I tried the practice area and that wasnt working for me either!

particularly on the Wenger side I have a lot of things to share that are not there

thank you in advance

Dave Arnold

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #328 on: September 18, 2019, 05:22:57 AM
Hi Dave,

You need to be registered as an editor - Not a regular user
If you are not an editor please send an MT.o PM to Chief editor enki_ck - To request editorial access - We use our MT.o IDs in the Wiki for ease of identification

Please look at the gallery and sub-gallery structures
I know you have lots of old Wengers - So if we need a new, say - 'Vintage' gallery or sub-gallery let me know and I can create one

When you have access
Go into the appropriate gallery and sub-gallery from the menus on the right hand side of the screen - Last column under Pic
Then use this function to upload images

We have not quite got a formal image naming convention going - But try and fit in with what you see in the galleries - ie '(Manufacturer) Model - Other Details'

Let me know if that makes sense and if you need more info/help
Wiki image upload.JPG
* Wiki image upload.JPG (Filesize: 49.82 KB)

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #329 on: October 12, 2019, 07:15:31 PM
Revised the Artisan page to include the Craftsman and 136ka name/number in the description. I hope this maintains the current use and reference to the name 'Artisan' while respecting the actual historic naming and numbering of this knife.

New (version 20):
The knife commonly known as the 'Artisan', (and also known as the: Fieldmaster - small), was originally named Craftsman and numbered 136ka for decades before the name was reused for the 91mm 6-layer versions circa 1973. It is an 84mm Victorinox knife with 4 tool layers and the same basic tool selection as the larger 91mm Fieldmaster.

Old:
The Artisan, (also known as the: Fieldmaster - small), is an 84mm Victorinox knife with 4 tool layers and the same basic tool selection as the larger 91mm Fieldmaster. There is little known about this model, so it may have only been produced in smaller numbers or in specific markets.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%