Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Been doing some work in the Wiki

Huntsman · 873 · 75296

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Re: Been doing some work in the Wiki
Reply #330 on: October 13, 2019, 02:03:40 AM
Revised the Artisan page to include the Craftsman and 136ka name/number in the description. I hope this maintains the current use and reference to the name 'Artisan' while respecting the actual historic naming and numbering of this knife.
Hi KK (and Knights)
Following our discussion on this topic in the Craftsman Love page - This update was on my do list – But you beat me to it !    :)
I was actually going to do it this weekend!     .... Really !!!

However, I was planning a slightly different approach to what you have done.
Also, I don’t think that we can say the Artisan was called the Craftsman "for decades before the name was reused for the 91mm 6-layer versions" given the back spring Phillips only came out in ’52 and the Craftsman we believe was born in 1973!
So the maximum it could have been is two   – Which I don’t think counts as "....for decades ....." !!

I was planning to add a Name Disambiguation section - in common with other Wiki pages where we have duplication / confusion over names.

So my update would have looked like this  – The red texts would be hyperlinks to the appropriate pages.
I was not sure about putting the old model number in the top section, as shown here – Or just in the identification section at the bottom
– Preference I think I is the latter - and probably also in the History section !!
I would also edit the History section a bit as it too talks about the name switches.

The Artisan (old style model number 136ka) is a four-layer 84mm Victorinox knife with and the same basic tool selection as the larger 91mm Fieldmaster, and is also known as the Fieldmaster – Small.

Name Disambiguation:
The French word ‘artisan’ when translated into English is ‘craftsman’ and this name was historically used for this model, at least in the US market (see this catalogue).
In approximately 1973 the Craftsman name was re-used for the six-layer 91mm Craftsman.
This naming may also explain why the Master Craftsman is smaller than the current Craftsman – As it is larger (size and layers) than this model..

I was also planning to put an equivalent update to the Craftsman and Master Craftsman pages

Let me know what you think folks

« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 02:23:00 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #331 on: October 13, 2019, 02:25:27 AM
'40s, '50s, '60s, '70s...decades.  I think just the proposed name disambiguation is missing the point a bit.  Look at JB's post again...the knife is originally a Craftsman numbered 136ka. Otherwise the whole page should be renamed 'Craftsman 84mm' or something like that, and relink all the relevant pages.  I think that would be more confusing considering how things got here.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #332 on: October 13, 2019, 03:56:15 AM
Hi KK

I was editing this post in flight - a couple of time - as I was checking things out/proof reading - So how it reads now may not be how your read it when you replied - Apologies for that

The back spring Phillips came out in 52 - Right? The six layer Craftsman came out in 73 -
So if we assume that the 84mm Phillips came out at the the same time as the 91mm Phillips - The maximum it can have been is 21 years - I make that two decades !

Please can you explain what point is the name disambiguation section missing - I am not clear on this

Also - Are you sure that back in the day - the 136ka was called a 'Craftsman' in the German/French speaking country of Switzerland - It's just the English translation of the name .... right??
Also back in those days the numeric numbers were the main identifier - Correct  ?
I don't think we should be re-organising the Wiki around English translations of Swiss names - or US catalogues - When we know importers/dealers quite often mucked around with the names ! At least before the names got stanardised mid 70s

I think like you said in the Craftsman thread - It would be really good to see a catalogue of the 136ka with another name - eg Artisan !!

Also please can you tell me to which JB post you are referring    :tu:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 07:40:59 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #333 on: October 13, 2019, 04:25:06 AM
The back spring Phillips came out in 52 - Right? The six layer Craftsman came out in 73 -
So if we assume that the 84mm Phillips came out at the the same time as the 91mm Phillips - The maximum it can have been is 21 years - I make that two decades !

'52 is wrong on the phillips. Doesn't explain the 'PWAR' '46 to '51 copies with the backspring phillips that are 'crab-claw' and pre- US PAT PEND/+PAT.

We can argue the semantics or just drop the 'decades' part if it bothers anyone else.  But two decadeS is still plural.

Please can you explain what point is the name disambiguation section missing - I am not clear on this
That the 136ka was ever called Craftsman.

Also - Are you sure that back in the day - the 136ka was called a 'Craftsman' in the German/French speaking country of Switzerland - It's just the English translation of the name .... right??
Also back in those days the numeric numbers were the main identifier - Correct  ?
I don't think we should be re-organising the Wiki around English translations of Swiss names - or US catalogues - When we know importers/dealers quite often mucked around with the names ! At least for info before the names got stanardised mid 70s

I think like you said in the Craftsman thread - It would be really good to see a catalogue of the 136ka with another name - eg Artisan !!

Also please can you tell me to which JB post you are referring    :tu:

I quoted it it one page back...here it is again:
The confusion arises because the SAK collecting community - the American community in particular - over the years has come up with what I call "collector's names" to refer to certain models. In almost all cases, this is done when the model either didn't have an official name (as was typical prior to the mid 1970s) or where it's official name was subsequently recycled onto another knife. These names are typically derived from either their 91mm equivalents (e.g. Huntsman Small) or from names found in catalogs from other countries. The SIMCO Canadian catalogs especially have contributed several "collector's names".

The knife we call the "Artisan" (136k, aka 84mm Fieldmaster) was sold in the US as the "Craftsman" almost exclusively. We use the Artisan name (French for Craftsman, btw) from the SIMCO to avoid confusion with the 91mm models of the same name. I have a several of these NIB - the boxes all say "Craftsman".

The '80 SMICO catalog only proves that the first 6 layer fish scaler type was ever called Artisan.

It seems to me that boxes left the factory in the PWAR period with both names and numbers. Good enough for me.

This is a Woodsman example...but the same idea:

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #334 on: October 13, 2019, 04:52:56 AM
And the '73 'end' is suspect as well. Might be '76 or later that it was still officially called Craftsman.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #335 on: November 17, 2019, 12:43:31 AM
New page for the annual limited edition Alox models - Yay !!   :tu:   
And great photos .....  :drool:

Thanks Nick4      :salute:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Been doing some work in the Wiki
Reply #336 on: November 17, 2019, 03:16:06 AM
:woohoo:

If needed, here’s a pic showing all the colors released to date...

I guess now the Pioneer, Cadet and Classic pages needs to be updated accordingly as well.

I read somewhere that there was some official protest on Vic’s LE2019 name choice... And now the official color is now just Gold instead of Champagne Gold...

Also, don’t know how true this information is, rumors are about that there will be no nespresso pioneers for 2020...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #337 on: November 17, 2019, 03:35:58 AM
Very nice pic Jaya - We'll put this in the gallery - And probably on the page

The Cadet page has been updated with this info for a while ! We'll check the other two.

I heard that gold rumour two - I am sure from the same source - What a load of twaddle - Surely Champagne Gold is not a protected expression !!

Shame about the Nespressos if true - I am not a collector - But they were pretty nice -  Although a bit expensive 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 08:46:49 AM by Huntsman »

ru Offline Nick4

Reply #338 on: November 17, 2019, 10:08:51 AM
New page for the annual limited edition Alox models - Yay !!   :tu:   
And great photos .....  :drool:

Thanks Nick4      :salute:
:salute:
Sorry, I haven't enough time now to work on the SAKWiki project. :( But I'll try to do all my best.

If needed, here’s a pic showing all the colors released to date...
Great photo, jaya_man!  :hatsoff:

I read somewhere that there was some official protest on Vic’s LE2019 name choice... And now the official color is now just Gold instead of Champagne Gold...

As I can see from the Victoriniox website page, they describe this colour now as 'champagne-gold-hued':
The champagne-gold-hued Alox scales characterize this year’s collection.

Very nice pic Jaya
:iagree:  :like:

We'll put this in the gallery - And probably on the page
Please feel free to make any modifications.  :cheers:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #339 on: November 17, 2019, 12:05:46 PM
As I can see from the Victoriniox website page, they describe this colour now as 'champagne-gold-hued':

Does that mean we now have to call the classic Swiss Army Knife scales 'red-hued' and the other common colour 'black-hued'    :pok:    :rofl:

For those of you who did not hear - The objection was over the use of the word Champagne as this is allegedly unique to a type of wine coming from a region of France

I get it: Calling a bubbly white wine from China, or even Australia, Champagne - Is not right  - But objecting to using it to describe a colour is a bit ridiculous   (IMHO!!    :pok:)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 01:54:34 AM by Huntsman »

ru Offline Nick4

Reply #340 on: November 17, 2019, 12:41:55 PM
Does that mean we know have to call the classic Swiss Army Knife scales 'red-hued' and the other common colour 'black-hued'    :pok:    :rofl:
:rofl: For my Russian ears, it sounds obscene.
Show content
(“Hue” sounds a bit like a Russian word meaning a smurf.)

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #341 on: December 09, 2019, 06:14:25 PM
Made some minor edits and additions to the Victorinox Master Craftsman Small page.

Updated start reference form 1960s to 1950s and added 136kma reference and picture.

This model became available in the 1950s when it would have been known as a model 136kma, and later as 136kmaU, prior to names being used by Victorinox. Hoffritz versions were produced into the mid-1970s.

Added Identifiers:
136ka
136 - Hoffritz Master Craftsman - 1960s
11037 - Hoffritz Explorer - 1970s

Added under Related Knives:
Master Craftsman - The equivalent 91mm version - Removes toothpick and tweezers before mid-1960s
Artisan - Removes the file and bail or keyring

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #342 on: December 09, 2019, 09:27:26 PM
Great - Thanks KK - Nice update

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #343 on: December 10, 2019, 06:04:51 PM
 :cheers: Thanks, Huntsman! Also made some small additions to Outdoorsman_Original (History and Identifiers) and Artisan (picture row) pages yesterday. The Outdoorsman history text I added is clumsy and this is one of the pages that I plan to expand on, but I really wanted to fix the incorrect note about only 1970s production.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #344 on: December 13, 2019, 05:28:22 AM
Hi Knights, SAK Fans and the World,    :climber:

Well it’s time for our annual report and check in about what has been happening in the Wiki.    :tu:
We have not had one for nearly two years and there is so much to say I am going to split this up into five updates, each of which will each be a separate post!   

What is really exciting about the recent Wiki work  is that lots of people have been involved
– And this is not just Wiki editors, or even MT.o members, we have had other people/groups helping us out too.  :salute:

We also have a few questions for you about Wiki structure, approach etc   :think:

And there will also be a few stats thrown in for good measure.   :cheers:

Anyway, let’s start right at the top.

Home Page Updates
We realised recently that the Wiki main page does not even mention what most people consider to be a Swiss Army Knife.  :o 
It discussed history, the Soldiers, the two companies, but did not mention the …… (red scaled) Officer’s Knife.
So we have a new fourth paragraph that introduces this! The last three paragraphs have also been juggled somewhat.
And here is the first  (baby) question:think:  On this page following a couple of paragraphs we have the expression "See Wiki pages right →"
I like the arrow and it works really well from a PC screen - as the arrow points at the menus on the right. Not so good on a smart phone as the screen is restructured.
So do we leave the expression as is? Or maybe just say:  "See Wiki pages" ?    ???

Family Trees
We have inserted Max Stone’s fabulous 91mm and 130mm family trees into the main 130mm and 91mm pages.
This was done towards the end of May this year – Since then they have had over 21,000 hits – Amazing – Thank you Max for these great artifacts.
(Note I am pretty sure that when the page that contains the image gets a hit – A hit is registered against the image)

OK now onto some more exciting stuff!!
New Wiki Pages
You would think that the Wiki is fairly static eh?  :think:........  Not so at all     :pok:
The following brand new pages have been added to the Wiki in the last year or so

I would urge you all to visit all of these pages as they really are great     :cheers:  Many are accessed by the Series pages:
https://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wenger+Series+and+Special+Editions
https://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+Series+and+Special+Editions
  • Victorinox Nespresso Series
  • Victorinox Piece of Switzerland Series
  • Victorinox Place to be Series
  • Victorinox Christmas Series
  • Victorinox Classic SD Limited Edition – This page features NeleDo’s amazing family picture of every single one of these from 2010 - 2019
  • Victorinox Road Tour Series
  • Victorinox Annual Alox Limited Editions
  • Victorinox Officers Knife 100th Anniversary Special Edition
  • Victorinox Garant – This needed its own page as we found out there are two variations
  • Victorinox Skipper Pro – This page and the one below feature probably my most favourite images in the Wiki from PitirM – Why? The images themselves are great, and of amazing quality and composition, However the best thing is they are all in context in a nautical setting – So often images are just of a SAK on a table and not really being used.
  • Victorinox Large Marlin Spike
  • Victorinox LockBlade
  • Wenger Switzerland Series
  • Wenger Patagonia Series
  • Wenger Titanium Series
  • Wenger Leather and Steel Series – This page and the next one was promised to Coloswiss and features his images
  • Wenger Special Edition
  • Delémont Evolution 23
  • Delémont Evolution S13
  • Delémont Evolution s52
  • Delemont Evolution Junior 09
  • Wenger Ranger 38-36
  • Wenger Biker 36
  • Wenger Evo 64
We owe a massive, massive vote of thanks and gratitude to one of our newer editors Nick4, as he created nearly all these pages for us.  :tu:
However, thanks are also due to two other new editors Max Stone (recognise that name!!) who is working away at the Delémont pages and xfile who also created some of these pages.  :tu:

I am also really happy as this now means our Wenger Series page is now complete – It had had missing links till this week!!   

So what are the next exciting installments?  ???
  • Pages with significant revisions
  • The Great Gallery Reorganisation Project
  • The Great Identifiers Restructuring Project
  • Other stuff!!
So watch this space!!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 12:46:17 AM by Huntsman »

ru Offline Nick4

Reply #345 on: December 13, 2019, 07:38:34 AM
We owe a massive, massive vote of thanks and gratitude to one of our newer editors Nick4, as he created nearly all these pages for us.  :tu:
My pleasure.  :salute:  :hatsoff: And without your great help, this would not have been possible.  :tu:  :cheers:

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #346 on: December 13, 2019, 05:15:48 PM
Just updated the Chinese Zodiac page, I added 2018 - 2019 - 2020 including pics.  :hatsoff:
The Vikings say "when your battle axe is to short do one step forward"

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #347 on: December 13, 2019, 06:49:49 PM
:2tu:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #348 on: December 13, 2019, 09:17:37 PM
Great stuff Ivo - Thanks very much - Welcome to the SAKWiki editing team

Edit PS: Even the 2020 model is there - Amazing - We are ahead of ourselves  :tu:   - That's a first - See above and below!!  :D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 11:45:28 PM by Huntsman »

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #349 on: December 13, 2019, 11:28:44 PM
Thanks Huntsman  :cheers:

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #350 on: December 14, 2019, 07:56:37 PM
New page created "Victorinox Ukraine Edition". The link can be found in several other pages in the "Variations" sections from Classic SD , Spartan , Nomad , Waiter , Climber and Huntsman.  :hatsoff:
This is the link to go straight away to the new page :

https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+Ukraine+Edition

ru Offline Nick4

Reply #351 on: December 14, 2019, 09:18:23 PM
New page created "Victorinox Ukraine Edition".
It looks great!  :like: :tu:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #352 on: December 14, 2019, 09:22:56 PM
Wow - Amazing - I never knew about those -  And so many   :o
Thanks Ivo    :hatsoff:     :D 

I added a link to your new page in the Victorinox Series Page
And created a new sub-gallery gallery for the images which is in the Series Gallery (and moved the images)

EDIT: PS Come to think of it I had seen a couple of the black city models on the bay - But none of the others

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #353 on: December 14, 2019, 10:29:01 PM

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #354 on: December 14, 2019, 10:30:43 PM
Wow - Amazing - I never knew about those -  And so many   :o
Thanks Ivo    :hatsoff:     :D 

I added a link to your new page in the Victorinox Series Page
And created a new sub-gallery gallery for the images which is in the Series Gallery (and moved the images)

EDIT: PS Come to think of it I had seen a couple of the black city models on the bay - But none of the others

I have several of these Ukraine Spartans.
Thanks for correcting my error with the galleries.  :hatsoff:
UKRAINE-SPARTAN-3.jpg
* UKRAINE-SPARTAN-3.jpg (Filesize: 188.83 KB)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #355 on: December 14, 2019, 11:12:05 PM
I registered for an account once...
I need to get to work on this :D

All talk and no action is not how I should roll...

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #356 on: December 14, 2019, 11:39:13 PM
 :iagree: that's why I start rolling  :hatsoff: :rofl:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #357 on: December 15, 2019, 12:05:40 AM
Thanks for correcting my error with the galleries. 
No problem - They needed a new gallery anyway - And I think only admins can create new gelleries
It's just great to have the page and images there and you helping out !  :cheers:    :D

I need to get to work on this
Do it man - Be good to have you on board   :tu:    :salute:

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #358 on: December 15, 2019, 10:34:38 AM
I'm glad I can help, I worked 36 years in IT and now I'm 4 years unemployed so I'm happy I can help out.
I used to be a mainframe system engineer and also made dynamic websites on mainframes without using any web designer tools so I wrote them strait in html. For some of them I combined 4 or 5 different programming languages together. These times where awesome.  :hatsoff:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #359 on: December 15, 2019, 10:47:14 AM
And I have like...

Uhm...

A camera...

And... Uhm... An account

:facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds