Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Been doing some work in the Wiki

Huntsman · 873 · 76190

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Re: Been doing some work in the Wiki
Reply #360 on: December 15, 2019, 10:50:54 AM
And I have like...

Uhm...

A camera...

And... Uhm... An account

:facepalm:

Good morning , feeling great , finally sunshine  :ahhh :tu: :hatsoff:
The Vikings say "when your battle axe is to short do one step forward"

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #361 on: December 15, 2019, 10:54:16 AM
Good morning , feeling great , finally sunshine  :ahhh :tu: :hatsoff:
Haha. True enough. Last night was brutal here... And the morning is just as calm :dd:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #362 on: December 15, 2019, 12:37:20 PM
Sooo..

Snapped a pic to add.
Turns out I couldn't log in, so I figured I must have forgotten my password or something.

"Forgot password"
Email address unknown... Oh?

*Enters username*

Username unknown... Well, that was anticlimactic :/

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #363 on: December 15, 2019, 01:07:36 PM
PM inbound

ru Offline Nick4

Reply #364 on: December 15, 2019, 02:39:21 PM
I am also really happy as this now means our Wenger Series page is now complete – It had had missing links till this week!!   
Not at all.;)  A page for the Sterling series still required.  :pok:

BTW, there is a new page for the Wenger Blackout series.

And totally impressed by the wonderful work of Ivo, just created the Russian series 2017 page.  :salute:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #365 on: December 15, 2019, 04:08:13 PM
It looks like editors are not able to browse the image galleries (You do not have permission to use this feature: tiki_p_list_image_galleries)

I haven't changed anything in the admin settings. Switching to user Ivo or Mechanickal and then browsing the gallery results in that error.
Ivo, how did you upload those images?
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #366 on: December 15, 2019, 04:56:17 PM
Turns out you need to upload the pictures by selecting the image box behind the respective size of the knife you want to upload a picture of.

After editing a page or 2 and creating 1, all I can say is that it's much more work than one would think.
All I can say is :hatsoff: to you all and I'm glad I can contribute.

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #367 on: December 15, 2019, 05:12:58 PM
Renier, like Mechanical explained , go to the home page and  in the right column you see all the knife sizes , behind every size is a symbol, select what you need and click on the symbol, now you are in correct gallerie and you can upload your picture(s).  :hatsoff:

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #368 on: December 15, 2019, 05:13:55 PM
Not at all.;)  A page for the Sterling series still required.  :pok:

BTW, there is a new page for the Wenger Blackout series.

And totally impressed by the wonderful work of Ivo, just created the Russian series 2017 page.  :salute:

Thanks Nick  :cheers:
I like you new page also, I did not know that they also have there own knives.  :tu: :like:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #369 on: December 15, 2019, 05:28:14 PM
Renier, like Mechanical explained , go to the home page and  in the right column you see all the knife sizes , behind every size is a symbol, select what you need and click on the symbol, now you are in correct gallerie and you can upload your picture(s).  :hatsoff:

Thanks Ivo, I'm aware of that route.
I was just wondering why Editors cannot browse the galleries: https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-galleries.php
You do have the link in the Wiki menu but you get a permission error.

ru Offline Nick4

Reply #370 on: December 15, 2019, 05:28:38 PM
I like you new page also, I did not know that they also have there own knives.  :tu: :like:
Thank you, Ivo!  :hatsoff:  :cheers:

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #371 on: December 15, 2019, 05:34:07 PM
Thanks Ivo, I'm aware of that route.
I was just wondering why Editors cannot browse the galleries: https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-galleries.php

Yes I do , Huntsman told me this link points to a gallerie where only admins have right for.  :hatsoff:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #372 on: December 15, 2019, 05:37:43 PM
Yes I do , Huntsman told me this link points to a gallerie where only admins have right for.  :hatsoff:

I see. I never noticed because I'm not in the Editors group.

Move along please, nothing to see here :whistle:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #373 on: December 15, 2019, 05:48:38 PM
If anyone wants to check on the "Grand Prix Small" page for me, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Just trying to get some feedback if I'm doing this right :dwts:

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #374 on: December 15, 2019, 06:03:14 PM
To me it looks good, I would remove the headers with no text and upload a smaller picture, when you click on the picture it is much bigger than the screen.
Do you have also a pic from the back with the BP logo ?  :hatsoff:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #375 on: December 15, 2019, 06:19:45 PM
What is our naming convention for page names? Grand Prix Small or Victorinox Grand Prix small? I prefer the latter.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #376 on: December 15, 2019, 06:22:30 PM
Oh, and good job Nick. Nice photos too.

I see some additional trailing spaces in the headers, but I'm nitpicking now. Those are found on dozens of pages :)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #377 on: December 15, 2019, 06:25:08 PM

To me it looks good, I would remove the headers with no text and upload a smaller picture, when you click on the picture it is much bigger than the screen.
Do you have also a pic from the back with the BP logo ?  :hatsoff:

Oops :D

The back with the BP logo is on my to-do list. But lighting conditions turned terrible so it has to wait for a bit. I was barely able to take a decent picture of the front.

What is our naming convention for page names? Grand Prix Small or Victorinox Grand Prix small? I prefer the latter.

Well the page already existed in the list, so I just clicked "create this page" and worked from there.
I also noticed the "Victorinox" prefix but found no way of getting rid of it :(

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #378 on: December 15, 2019, 06:26:09 PM
Oh, and good job Nick. Nice photos too.

I see some additional trailing spaces in the headers, but I'm nitpicking now. Those are found on dozens of pages :)
I copied the page from another model since I have no understanding of the coding yet. So I think I just migrated those extra spaces from the other page :whistle:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #379 on: December 15, 2019, 07:02:48 PM
- Empty header removed.

- Uploaded a smaller size picture and placed it instead of the first one.

- added a picture of the backside BP logo...

My place doesn't look like it does on other days :D

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #380 on: December 15, 2019, 07:20:53 PM
Much better now  :tu: :like:  :cheers:
That's a cool looking SAK, never saw that one  :drool: :drool: :like:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #381 on: December 16, 2019, 01:52:26 AM
Oh Boy - I can't keep up with you guys - Thanks for all the recent additions everyone .....  :cheers:    :tu:    :salute:
I've made a few small changes to a couple of the updated pages

.... just created the Russian series 2017 page.  :salute:
Another beauty - I adjusted the table format for you (see history) - Hope it's OK - If the piccies are too big pls make them smaller  :tu:
I also created a new sub-gallery for the images in the series gallery and moved the images to that galley

.... go to the home page and  in the right column you see all the knife sizes , behind every size is a symbol, select what you need and click on the symbol, now you are in correct gallerie and you can upload your picture(s).:
Yes please use this route for uploading images - Please don't forget the series galleries and also all the various sub-galleries - More about this in update No.3

Not sure about that one myself - However all galleries should be accessible via the other route
More about this in Update 3

..... I would remove the headers with no text and upload a smaller picture, when you click on the picture it is much bigger than the screen.
Thanks - Yes please remove all empty sections - More about this in upcoming editor's guide. 

Yes I do , Huntsman told me this link points to a gallery where only admins have right for. 
I think here we were referring to the so called file galleries not the image galleries (it's bit confusing) - Editors definitely don't have access to the file galleries - But the image galleries are what you need for piccies - See above!

Hmm - We don't really have naming conventions - I think it has all been a bit haphazard over the years with all the different editors
Many pages have the manufacturer prefix - Many do not!
I prefer the prefix to improve on Google search hits !
The same Q applies to images - Also more about this in Update 3

I also noticed the "Victorinox" prefix but found no way of getting rid of it :(
Yes - You cannot change page names - Although I think admins can - But we should avoid this!

After editing a page or 2 and creating 1, all I can say is that it's much more work than one would think.
All I can say is :hatsoff: to you all and I'm glad I can contribute.

Too True  !!!   :o    :(
Absolutely - And Thank You   (all)  !!
   :tu:    :D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 02:52:57 AM by Huntsman »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #382 on: December 16, 2019, 03:31:41 AM
If anyone wants to check on the "Grand Prix Small" page for me, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Just trying to get some feedback if I'm doing this right

Thanks M - Great stuff - Much appreciated
I made a few what I call standardisation edits

I am planning an editors guide which will be a Wiki model page with comments explaining approach, styles, conventions etc
This will explain many of the the edits I have made to this page.
I really need to get this done, as I think it will help!

This comment was coming in my Wiki Update No. 5 - But making it here  as it's relevant

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #383 on: December 16, 2019, 07:50:20 AM
In for the updates...took some errors and digging to figure out the image gallery structure.

Just trying to get some feedback if I'm doing this right :dwts:

Nice knife!  But I don't think it's old enough to have been numbered 135kma.  The round phillips means it's post '83 or so.  Since it's an advertising knife, the can key doesn't preclude production after 1990. Could be stock that was disposed later.

Can you post a pic of the top and bottom of the knife?

Are the liners all anodized?

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

ru Offline Nick4

Reply #384 on: December 16, 2019, 07:51:35 AM
Another beauty - I adjusted the table format for you (see history) - Hope it's OK - If the piccies are too big pls make them smaller  :tu:
I also created a new sub-gallery for the images in the series gallery and moved the images to that galley
Thank you very much!  :hatsoff: It's looks definitely better now!  :tu: :cheers:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #385 on: December 16, 2019, 12:07:19 PM
So... regarding galleries... I don't know when or how, but probably during one of the server changes and/or database migration all the picture galleries got migrated to a parent gallery which is a file gallery. And as only Admins have access to file galleries to avoid misuse and maybe someone uploading some maleware, editors and regular users only have access to picture galleries.

We could probably move the picture galleries to a separate picture parent gallery as it had been for years before the migration, but the tikiwiki is such a fragile software that I'm not sure that would be a safe move and wouldn't cause more problems than good.

So all the editors are able to upload pics to the galleries they need to, but if you have any other formats, like pdf catalogs and such, PM me or email me with the info and files, and I'll upload them to the wiki and provide links.
 :salute:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #386 on: December 16, 2019, 12:11:28 PM
Naming convention for any and all new pages should be Victorinox "MODEL NAME" so the pages are better indexed by search engines and we get better hits if searched by google and such.

Yes, Admins can change the name of the model/page, but that's not a very good route for older pages as a lot of them are interconnected via page links, and changing the page name would break them and require one to search for all the broken links to correct them, in size and layer indexes, in various similar model pages.... A tedious task :facepalm:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #387 on: December 16, 2019, 12:42:49 PM
Sounds like a good job for our intern then :)

But no, it would probably also mean that external links and search engine results would point to the wrong (old) page URLs.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #388 on: December 16, 2019, 12:43:16 PM
So... regarding galleries... I don't know when or how, but probably during one of the server changes and/or database migration all the picture galleries got migrated to a parent gallery which is a file gallery. .......
We could probably move the picture galleries to a separate picture parent gallery as it had been for years before the migration, but the tikiwiki is such a fragile software that I'm not sure that would be a safe move and wouldn't cause more problems than good.
Right - I was going to mention this via pm/admin
- But as you mention it, it's time to own up  :( ........ I think that I might have migrated some image galleries to file galleries.
I did some work on the image galleries earlier this year (more on this in infamous Update No.3!) and was trying to move some pics - And I think it was me  :twak:

I was going to ask ........
I think all the original image galleries are still there - as image galleries and in their gallery heirarchy
So I was thinking we can just delete those file galleries ?  ???   

So all the editors are able to upload pics to the galleries they need to, but if you have any other formats, like pdf catalogs and such, PM me or email me with the info and files, and I'll upload them to the wiki and provide links.
Or me or Reiner  :tu:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #389 on: December 16, 2019, 05:13:35 PM
Naming convention for any and all new pages should be Victorinox "MODEL NAME" so the pages are better indexed by search engines and we get better hits if searched by google and such.

:tu: Will do.  :salute:

Yes, Admins can change the name of the model/page, but that's not a very good route for older pages as a lot of them are interconnected via page links, and changing the page name would break them and require one to search for all the broken links to correct them, in size and layer indexes, in various similar model pages.... A tedious task :facepalm:

:tu: This is one reason why I didn't want to *ask* anyone else to start changing names for some of the older models.   Some pages are cross-referenced a LOT!  I suppose anyone wanting to change or update a page name should post here so others can review for fixing all the links?  Editor of the name should be 'responsible' for finding and fixing them all?

Victorinox XXmm
# Layer Model list
Tool to Model Table
Tool page - Related knives
Related knife cross-references

Maybe I should try with one of the thinner models first...like Picnicker_91mm. 
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%