Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Android Phones

Kev D · 434 · 21070

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Android Phones
on: August 24, 2016, 04:50:52 PM
My samsung galaxy note 4 on the UK 3 network finally updated to android M today (Marshmallow 6.0.1). Talk about late to the game, android N is coming out soon.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Re: Android Phones
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 04:52:41 PM
My wife's Note 4 on ATT is still stuck on 5.1.1.   My Nexus 6 should get some Nougat love soon!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 01:34:36 PM
my Nexus 4 is on 5.1.1 and from what I read I can forget about seeing an official update for it, meanwhile there are unofficial updated roms for it...

So essentially the one thing that made me choose my Google device over any other brand has been nullified by Google after just a few updates. Well done!

That being said, the Nexus7 update disaster (making a useable device completely rubbish) might explain the hesitation to update older devices much more than minimal.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 05:40:53 PM
I want to replace my aging Nexus 4, but I'm holding on to until the new Nexus phones come out, unless there are some really good deals that come up on the 5X in the meantime.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 06:51:34 PM
I'm likely to go for a BQ Aquaris M5 as a replacement for my nexus 4.

Nexus 4's seem to go for anywhere between 40 and 150 euros on flea bay so selling my old phone might just cover a nice chunk of the upgrade price,  if only I could afford to buy the new phone first

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 07:08:26 PM
I am still happy with my first gen motoG (X1032, 3G modem, no mSD slot)
CM13 here (so android 6.0.1)
But next device might run plasma-mobile or one of its cousin (I'd like to get closer to Linux than android)

england Offline Kev D

Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 04:00:46 PM
I'd like the new Note 7 but to have the same contract as I have now is now another £18 a month with the note 7. My contract is up in a couple of months so I'll see what kind of deal I can get when the time comes.

My note 4 was driving me nuts with the battery life. I thought android M would sort it but it was still the same so I bought a new one. Hey presto it's now ok again.

That worries me though because I've only had it 18 months and with the new note 7 I wouldn't be able to do that. I really like being able to replace it if needed.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 06:52:50 PM
I pretty much love my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4 S. It makes me regret tremendously not going with an S3 vs my Nexus 4 back in the day. The S3 camera takes far better photos than the nexus4 in spite of them being the same spec. The S3 also has an sdslot, and easily replaced battery.

However the tab8.4s was definitely a lot more money that most of the other tablets I was looking at, but I don't regret it at all...

As you mention with the Note7, there's probably a lot on those devices I'd like, but the appeal of a BQ phone is that I can have 3 of them for the price of a new samsung whatever is current model, so if it goes wrong, I don't feel bad, plus as we all seem to be experiencing, 2 years on we'll likely be looking at something better anyways, so why go with the top of the range when it'll likely be obsolete before we even get the plastic protector off the screen.

I do like the Oneplus platform, but I feel that both them and the Google/Nexus platforms are losing the plot with the idea of affordable devices.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 02:19:42 PM
I pretty much love my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4 S. It makes me regret tremendously not going with an S3 vs my Nexus 4 back in the day. The S3 camera takes far better photos than the nexus4 in spite of them being the same spec. The S3 also has an sdslot, and easily replaced battery.

However the tab8.4s was definitely a lot more money that most of the other tablets I was looking at, but I don't regret it at all...

As you mention with the Note7, there's probably a lot on those devices I'd like, but the appeal of a BQ phone is that I can have 3 of them for the price of a new samsung whatever is current model, so if it goes wrong, I don't feel bad, plus as we all seem to be experiencing, 2 years on we'll likely be looking at something better anyways, so why go with the top of the range when it'll likely be obsolete before we even get the plastic protector off the screen.

I do like the Oneplus platform, but I feel that both them and the Google/Nexus platforms are losing the plot with the idea of affordable devices.
Im still running an S3. It was a great phone, although  slower than similar speced phones now(the last couple updates before support was dropped did a number on my device). Ive been thinking of moving to a custom ROM, because otherwise the S3 is fantastic: microSD slot, removable battery, not too big, durable, and it is still fairly competitive spec wise. I think you lose the awesome camera if you move away from TouchWiz though :(
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 05:33:33 PM
I'm likely to go for a BQ Aquaris M5 as a replacement for my nexus 4.

Nexus 4's seem to go for anywhere between 40 and 150 euros on flea bay so selling my old phone might just cover a nice chunk of the upgrade price,  if only I could afford to buy the new phone first

Mine's shagged (cracked back, replaced battery, camera's not working properly, doesn't hang up calls correctly) so probably not worth selling.  The new google (Pixel) phones are looking like they'll be quite pricey too. :(

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 06:27:01 PM
You might get some money for it as is,  some people don't mind fixing those things for a more custom rom friendly device, although be sure it's listed as is not working 100%

I bought a ringke fusion cover for my Nexus4 as soon as I had ordered it,  has nearly never been without it,  which has helped a lot I imagine,  my niece killed her n4 within 6 months with some lesser cover

england Offline Kev D

Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 10:53:29 AM
Samsung have pulled the Note 7 off the shelves over here due to battery issues, mainly setting on fire.  The say they make the handsets but source batteries in the area the phones are sold so it's down to a bad batch of batteries from whoever supplied them sale over here.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 02:02:43 PM
I'd like an S7 or Note 7, but not sure if I'll be able to afford one...  Our current contract is up for an early upgrade, and ends in February. I could sell my iPhone 6 Plus, and it would cover the upgrade cost, but I don't think I'm ready to completely ditch Apple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 07:49:35 PM
I'd like an S7 or Note 7, but not sure if I'll be able to afford one...  Our current contract is up for an early upgrade, and ends in February. I could sell my iPhone 6 Plus, and it would cover the upgrade cost, but I don't think I'm ready to completely ditch Apple.

Come on ditch Apple  :pok: You know you want to >:D :D

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 08:09:55 PM

Come on ditch Apple  :pok: You know you want to >:D :D
If I can get one cheap enough, I'll temporarily switch. Can't leave for good though!!  :evilbanana:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 03:53:11 AM
Yes you can.  Make the move while you still have some sensation in your hippocampus.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 07:27:44 AM
^^ This

And £600 for an iphone 7 :ahhh :rofl: ::)

england Offline Kev D

Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 12:03:05 PM
I dropped my note last night as I got out the car. It was in the neoprene shock sock I carry it in, but it made a full face splat on the floor. 

I had that sickening moment where you hope it's ok but don't want to look in case it isn't.  These £4 sleeves are money well spent, once again it has protected my phone from damage.

I've spent a lot on cases and slim armours, etc over the years but these are by far the cheapest option, and have protected it very well. As long as they are replaced when the corners start to wear it seems to work very well. At £4 a go off amazon I always buy a few at a time ready for when one wears out.

They are the caseflex neoprene sleeves btw

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #18 on: September 10, 2016, 04:12:46 PM
So...  I might be getting an S7 Edge today.  My brother in law is a manager at two Telus stores, and was able to get us a wicked plan, and phone discounts.  With Samsung offering a $200 discount when trading in any phone (I have an old crappy one :D ), I'll be able to afford it without having to sell my iPhone!  Happy happy!!  :woohoo:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #19 on: September 10, 2016, 04:47:42 PM
So...  I might be getting an S7 Edge today.  My brother in law is a manager at two Telus stores, and was able to get us a wicked plan, and phone discounts.  With Samsung offering a $200 discount when trading in any phone (I have an old crappy one :D ), I'll be able to afford it without having to sell my iPhone!  Happy happy!!  :woohoo:

Nice one  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: September 11, 2016, 04:10:40 AM
That's great news Derek!

I've been eligible for a hardware upgrade for a couple of years now but I'll save it until my phone has serious issues.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #21 on: September 11, 2016, 05:51:22 PM
Well I did it!  Came home yesterday with a new S7 Edge. :dd:  The best part is, it didn't cost me a cent.  Our plan is about $10 more a month (total for both lines), but we're also getting 3gb more data a month (9gb total).

My brother in law really wanted me to wait and get the new iPhone but I needed a change.  I've been using an iPhone for the last two years, and was getting bored of it.  I do still love my iPhone, and will use it.  From everything I've read, the iPhone works much better with my Phantom 3.  I will try the S7 though.

Since it's been two years since I've used a good Android phone, I have to say I'm super impressed with the S7 Edge!!  What a slick, responsive phone!!  The OS itself is WAYYYY better than the last time I used one.  I never did like Samsung Touchwiz, but the way they have it now is quite nice.  Of course, I can always use a different launcher if I want.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #22 on: September 13, 2016, 05:47:41 PM
Ordered a Nexus 5X rather than waiting for the Pixel/Nexus replacements next month.  Prices have been dropping and stocks are getting low - I reckon the 5X is a couple of hundred quid cheaper than the 5" Pixel will be.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #23 on: September 13, 2016, 08:50:14 PM
Well I did it!  Came home yesterday with a new S7 Edge. :dd:  The best part is, it didn't cost me a cent.  Our plan is about $10 more a month (total for both lines), but we're also getting 3gb more data a month (9gb total).

My brother in law really wanted me to wait and get the new iPhone but I needed a change.  I've been using an iPhone for the last two years, and was getting bored of it.  I do still love my iPhone, and will use it.  From everything I've read, the iPhone works much better with my Phantom 3.  I will try the S7 though.

Since it's been two years since I've used a good Android phone, I have to say I'm super impressed with the S7 Edge!!  What a slick, responsive phone!!  The OS itself is WAYYYY better than the last time I used one.  I never did like Samsung Touchwiz, but the way they have it now is quite nice.  Of course, I can always use a different launcher if I want.

How's the new phone?

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #24 on: September 13, 2016, 09:48:18 PM

How's the new phone?
I'm absolutely loving it!!  I've always kind of preferred Android, but with everyone in the house having Apple devices, they just all worked together soooo well!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: September 13, 2016, 11:48:23 PM
When all of your devices are Apple it makes sense to stay with Apple.  They do work together quite well and there is a serious benefit to that.

But, if you want more freedom in your devices and what you can do with them it makes sense to stay away from Apple.

I'm glad you are enjoying your new phone!

Def

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #26 on: September 15, 2016, 12:39:52 PM
5X arrived yesterday and had updated to Nougat within a couple of hours.  It's a little faster and bigger than my 4 but not that different.  The fingerprint scanner is good, and I'm looking forward to being able to use Android Pay.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: September 15, 2016, 01:01:37 PM
part of me is tempted to custom rom my Nexus4, but I'm hesitant without a backup phone...

england Offline Kev D

Reply #28 on: September 15, 2016, 01:53:10 PM
5X arrived yesterday and had updated to Nougat within a couple of hours.  It's a little faster and bigger than my 4 but not that different.  The fingerprint scanner is good, and I'm looking forward to being able to use Android Pay.

Hows the new android N?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #29 on: September 15, 2016, 02:06:15 PM
Doesn't seem very different from Marshmallow to me.  Biggest difference would seem to be multi-window, which is very cool.  I'm sure there are other things I'll discover though.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%