Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Android Phones

Kev D · 434 · 21062

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Re: Android Phones
Reply #30 on: September 25, 2016, 02:05:38 AM
So one awesome thing I'm loving about my S7 edge, and the little usb adapter thingy is.....  Being able to hook up my DSLR to it, and copy pics to my phone. :tu:  It might not sound like a big thing, but it makes me happy!! :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #31 on: September 27, 2016, 03:37:46 AM
You can do that with iOS too, but you may need to jailbreak it first.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #32 on: October 05, 2016, 11:54:40 AM
I'm glad I didn't wait for the Google Pixel phones to be released.  I'm sure they're very nice, but £600 is a lot.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #33 on: October 05, 2016, 12:15:39 PM
yeah, same reaction I had when I saw the SRP on the Pixel phones...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #34 on: October 05, 2016, 01:31:59 PM
No microSD slot on them either to allow expansion

england Offline Kev D

Reply #35 on: October 05, 2016, 01:34:00 PM
My contract is up at the end of the month, now I don't know what to get. Note 7's go back on sale on October 28th after the battery issues so need to stay clear of those for a while, and the new pixel doesn't have an SD slot for expansion so you'd have to buy the biggest one if you want a lot of memory which means much more £££

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 01:35:20 PM by Kevin Davey »

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #36 on: October 05, 2016, 10:07:25 PM
I'm still loving my Moto G (2015) on Marshmallow.  The only thing that could possibly make it a better phone for me is a compass.  The lack of it makes navigation on foot a bit frustrating in unfamiliar places.
- Terry

england Offline Kev D

Reply #37 on: October 06, 2016, 11:47:59 AM
I'm still loving my Moto G (2015) on Marshmallow.  The only thing that could possibly make it a better phone for me is a compass.  The lack of it makes navigation on foot a bit frustrating in unfamiliar places.

I'm still loving my note 4, so I think I'll stick with it until I really need to change it for a newer one. I'll save my money to spend on MT's and Alox SAK's

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: October 06, 2016, 12:53:39 PM
ironic since the Moto G (2013) & Moto G (2014) have one  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 12:55:04 PM by Whoey »

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #39 on: October 06, 2016, 05:57:51 PM

Yep, they dropped the magnetic field sensor between 2nd and 3rd generations.  I assume to save some $.  It makes very little difference in car navigation.
- Terry

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: October 06, 2016, 08:48:08 PM

Yep, they dropped the magnetic field sensor between 2nd and 3rd generations.  I assume to save some $.  It makes very little difference in car navigation.
Yet obviously that's not where it's needed... you'd think that by the time a 3rd generation of an item is out the related costs would all have dropped. Hence why usually storage/ram doubles at no cost increase. Wonder if this is the same logic behind apple dropping the headphone socket. Imho if you're purporting to create something that multitasks, removing features doesn't seem to be the way forward.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: October 06, 2016, 11:26:01 PM

Yet obviously that's not where it's needed... you'd think that by the time a 3rd generation of an item is out the related costs would all have dropped. Hence why usually storage/ram doubles at no cost increase. Wonder if this is the same logic behind apple dropping the headphone socket. Imho if you're purporting to create something that multitasks, removing features doesn't seem to be the way forward.

I never really thought of it like that, but you are absolutely right.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #42 on: October 06, 2016, 11:31:51 PM
I'm sure that they also understand that compasses don't sell phones. Screens and cameras do.
- Terry

england Offline Kev D

Reply #43 on: October 11, 2016, 11:05:28 AM
The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 is in the news again, the new handsets are doing the same as the old ones, so Samsung have recalled them and recommended everyone that has one switches it off and doesn't use it.

The news says one went up in smoke on a flight in the US last Wednesday.  Samsung share price has plummeted costing the company a potential $17 billion. Talk about getting it wrong, it's just a bigger S7 with a pen.

I bet someone at Samsung has been fired.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #44 on: October 11, 2016, 12:46:16 PM
I owned a couple of generations of Galaxy.  I would never buy one again due to major software bloat.  Of course, that is a small issue compared to venting with flames... :D
- Terry

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: October 11, 2016, 01:00:45 PM
I owned a couple of generations of Galaxy.  I would never buy one again due to major software bloat.  Of course, that is a small issue compared to venting with flames... :D
They decreased the bloat... and how many exploded world wide... bet you have a iPhone 6 :D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: October 11, 2016, 01:29:51 PM
I wish they had carried on making "play edition" phones with the stripped down version of Android vs the bloated manufacturer editions...

england Offline Kev D

Reply #47 on: October 11, 2016, 01:56:35 PM
It's just been on the lunchtime news, they have pulled the plug on them now. No more Note 7

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #48 on: October 11, 2016, 02:07:23 PM
Yep, second recall for the same phone. Samsung just needs to hang it up and call it a day. Sucks because it really is a good phone and customers love it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #49 on: October 11, 2016, 02:08:17 PM
They decreased the bloat... and how many exploded world wide... bet you have a iPhone 6 :D

My brother has an S7.  That phone is nowhere near stock Android.  Moto G here, and I've never owned an iPhone.

Sorry, I've had my share of Samsung (phones, monitors, TVs etc.) and am not a fan.  You should see all the monitors and TVs that have crossed my workbench because they had to save $.0001 on crap capacitors in the power supplies.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 02:14:12 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

england Offline Kev D

Reply #50 on: October 11, 2016, 02:12:53 PM
Yep, second recall for the same phone. Samsung just needs to hang it up and call it a day. Sucks because it really is a good phone and customers love it.

They've done that today, no recall, scrapped it.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: October 11, 2016, 04:58:41 PM

My brother has an S7.  That phone is nowhere near stock Android.  Moto G here, and I've never owned an iPhone.

Sorry, I've had my share of Samsung (phones, monitors, TVs etc.) and am not a fan.  You should see all the monitors and TVs that have crossed my workbench because they had to save $.0001 on crap capacitors in the power supplies.
I loved the Samsung flip phones; I had a UMPC Q1 :D... Now I own a Note 3 (because of the pen and it is the only smartphone I ever owned privately). Can't say I have a huge knowledge of Samsung, but I have a friend who is very savy in these things (has his own company making cashless payment systems) who told me that with the S7 edge you can get pretty close to stock (I think they really did change that in the latest series). Anyway...

The Moto Z Force Droid is in my remaining favs for replacing the Note 3. Together with the Note 7 (no other smartphone offers a pen) and the HP Elite X3. By the time I decide on one its probably none of these 3 ::). The Note 3 is old but there is no rush to replace it, still runs very good, battery lasts days and its reasonably fast.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #52 on: October 11, 2016, 05:05:06 PM
Can't say I have a huge knowledge of Samsung, but I have a friend who is very savy in these things (has his own company making cashless payment systems) who told me that with the S7 edge you can get pretty close to stock (I think they really did change that in the latest series).

I will have to disagree with your friend, unless for some reason the OS is different on the edge than on the regular S7, and I can't imagine that it would be.  I've rooted and installed stock Android on many devices, and the S7's OS is definitely not stock Android.  It might be closer than it used to be, but it's still at an unnecessary level of bloat, IMO.  If you want a clean Android OS, I recommend the Moto or Nexus devices.  Although, as I understand it, even Nexus devices might be going away from "vanilla" Android N.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 05:10:05 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: October 11, 2016, 06:08:51 PM
Yikes!  :facepalm: http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/10/technology/samsung-galaxy-note-7-turn-off/

"No one should have to be concerned their phone will endanger them, their family or their property," Kaye said in a statement.

Samsung offered replacement phones -- but those burst into flames too.
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: October 12, 2016, 11:36:40 AM
Yikes!  :facepalm: http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/10/technology/samsung-galaxy-note-7-turn-off/

"No one should have to be concerned their phone will endanger them, their family or their property," Kaye said in a statement.

Yep, I guess it is off my list of phones to get :D

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: October 12, 2016, 05:09:49 PM

Yep, I guess it is off my list of phones to get :D
Shoulda got it while supplies were hot! Uh, I mean available...  :D
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #56 on: October 12, 2016, 11:06:43 PM
It's just an extra feature.  That's what they get for not using the Firestarter app responsibly!   :drink:

Def

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: October 18, 2016, 11:36:11 AM
Can't say I have a huge knowledge of Samsung, but I have a friend who is very savy in these things (has his own company making cashless payment systems) who told me that with the S7 edge you can get pretty close to stock (I think they really did change that in the latest series).

I will have to disagree with your friend, unless for some reason the OS is different on the edge than on the regular S7, and I can't imagine that it would be.  I've rooted and installed stock Android on many devices, and the S7's OS is definitely not stock Android.  It might be closer than it used to be, but it's still at an unnecessary level of bloat, IMO.  If you want a clean Android OS, I recommend the Moto or Nexus devices.  Although, as I understand it, even Nexus devices might be going away from "vanilla" Android N.
I just noticed that there might be a difference US vs Europe (and also carrier).

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #58 on: October 18, 2016, 02:25:40 PM

I just noticed that there might be a difference US vs Europe (and also carrier).

That could certainly be the case. Many times the model numbers aren't even the same country to country and carrier to carrier.
- Terry

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #59 on: October 20, 2016, 05:34:28 PM
So I have been looking for a second Android phone to use as a credit card reader via Square, as my Windows phone isn't compatible (-_-).  While I was really interested in the Moto G 4th Gen, I couldn't really stand forking over ~$230 for the higher memory model from Amazon; so I popped into the local AT&T and ended up walking out with one of their Maven 2 models for a whopping $43 out the door.  For something that I'll use roughly once or twice a year, I figure I did pretty well; the older Maven model was more than that at the few local retailers that still had them in stock, namely, Dollar General. :D

... This is a rant for another time, but for what few apps I need for my phone on the rare occasion, no one caters to the Windows Mobile platform.  I like my phone, quite a bit, and for the two freaking apps that I need, one isn't offered?  Really?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%