Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Android Phones

Kev D · 434 · 21074

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Android Phones
Reply #60 on: October 20, 2016, 05:38:52 PM
In order to have good software support for an OS platform, that platform has to sell well.  Since Windows mobile has ~2% of the market share, why should anyone cater to it?

See here: https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8&qpcustomd=1
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 05:40:09 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #61 on: October 20, 2016, 07:18:51 PM
In order to have good software support for an OS platform, that platform has to sell well.  Since Windows mobile has ~2% of the market share, why should anyone cater to it?

See here: https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8&qpcustomd=1

I know, it's the classic story of too little, too late for the platform.  Really, though, that's the only complaint I have for it; it's been a wonderful phone, otherwise.  :cheers:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #62 on: November 02, 2016, 07:30:50 PM
So I have been looking for a second Android phone to use as a credit card reader via Square, as my Windows phone isn't compatible (-_-).  While I was really interested in the Moto G 4th Gen, I couldn't really stand forking over ~$230 for the higher memory model from Amazon; so I popped into the local AT&T and ended up walking out with one of their Maven 2 models for a whopping $43 out the door.  For something that I'll use roughly once or twice a year, I figure I did pretty well; the older Maven model was more than that at the few local retailers that still had them in stock, namely, Dollar General. :D

... This is a rant for another time, but for what few apps I need for my phone on the rare occasion, no one caters to the Windows Mobile platform.  I like my phone, quite a bit, and for the two freaking apps that I need, one isn't offered?  Really?
It's because no one wants to deal with those whiny Windows phone users :P
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

england Offline Kev D

Reply #63 on: November 22, 2016, 12:25:48 PM
My note 4 battery is finally giving up the ghost. As soon as it gets put under load it gets really hot and my phone starts restarting. As soon as I plug it in to the charger it cools down and runs ok again.

When looking at the battery I can see it's expanded and bellied out on both sides so it's definitely had it. At the mo I'm using my old work phone until my new batteries arrive, hopefully today or tomorrow. I've got the new anker one coming and a samsung genuine one.

de Offline Josh613

Reply #64 on: November 23, 2016, 08:51:02 PM
After a new phone. Decided to steer away from iPhone.

Don't want a contract as I have a sim only contract and planning to travel so want to buy it outright

Stuck between a s6,s7 or a note but not sure which one. I'm really hard on my phones anyone can help me out?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #65 on: November 24, 2016, 01:14:40 AM

Don't want a contract as I have a sim only contract and planning to travel so want to buy it outright

Stuck between a s6,s7 or a note but not sure which one. I'm really hard on my phones anyone can help me out?

General rule for Samsung phones- don't get the even numbered ones.

The original Galaxy was good, the Galaxy II was bought by only four people worldwide, and three of them hated it.

The SIII was an excellent phone and helped cement Samsung as a serious contender in the phone marketplace, the SIV was about as well received as HIV, but without the fun of contracting it.

The S5 is a great phone and the S6 was a serious step backwards, so they rushed out the S7, which is supposedly quite good, although I don't have one and don't use it.  But, it benefits from being waterproof like the S5, so if that is important to you (it was to me) then it's probably a good choice.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

de Offline Josh613

Reply #66 on: November 24, 2016, 09:03:50 AM

The original Galaxy was good, the Galaxy II was bought by only four people worldwide, and three of them hated it.

The SIII was an excellent phone and helped cement Samsung as a serious contender in the phone marketplace, the SIV was about as well received as HIV, but without the fun of contracting it.

The S5 is a great phone and the S6 was a serious step backwards, so they rushed out the S7, which is supposedly quite good, although I don't have one and don't use it.  But, it benefits from being waterproof like the S5, so if that is important to you (it was to me) then it's probably a good choice.

Def

Hmm

Any thought on the note series? I'll probably end up with a iPhone 6s ha

england Offline Kev D

Reply #67 on: November 24, 2016, 12:48:46 PM

Def

Hmm

Any thought on the note series? I'll probably end up with a iPhone 6s ha

I've had the Note 3 and Note 4, both have been excellent. My mum has my note 3 and loves it and I still have the note 4. Other than just having to get a new battery for it, which you can change yourself as the back pops off to allow you to do it, it's been a great phone.  Now I've got the new battery in it, it's great again.  After the note 4 I'd avoid them like the plague, the note 5 didn't get released here, they skipped the 6 and the 7 has been pulled last month due to all the setting on fire and blowing up issues.

Edit:

My note 4 has trashed a micro SD card fairly quickly after getting the phone 2 years ago, but since I went to a samung one it has been fine.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 12:50:48 PM by Kevin Davey »

fr Online Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #68 on: November 24, 2016, 01:05:22 PM
as far as samsung goes, perhaps best the non spontaneously combustive model?  >:D

seems the iphone 6's have to worry about "touch disease"

part of me would almost be tempted by the iphone5c if they weren't such horrible colours, they are pretty solid and not outrageously priced like other iphones.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

de Offline Josh613

Reply #69 on: November 25, 2016, 10:37:33 PM
Ended up with a 6s. Got a good deal on it.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #70 on: December 18, 2016, 09:49:14 PM
Out of the blue, I figured that I should get another cell phone. I still have my Samsung S3, but I will never go back to Rogers. I went to the local mall today and cased every cell phone joint in the place. I never paid attention to just how many there are. Well colour me bemused at how many places there are. After a few hours of mind blowing confusion in regards to cell plans, and cell phones. I even unlocked my old phone which will make a nice gift for someone (I would never let anyone I know knowingly go with Rogers if I can help it). Well oddly enough, the very last place I went to had some good deals. More importantly, the sales staff had the proper service attitude, which to me is golden. I ended up getting an LG G5 as it appeared to have a good camera feature set which was important to me. I even bought the LG Cam Plus module for it.

I hope my dealings with Virgin Mobile are a lot better than my past history with Rogers.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #71 on: December 18, 2016, 11:39:25 PM
Find out what network Virgin is n.  If they are on the Rogers network you are likley to still have problems.  In the Toronto area and other major centers Rogers has better coverage, but in Northern Ontario I find the Bell/Telus network is far superior.  The further away from cities you go, the more likely you are to be covered on Bell because the government uses Bell and they need the coverage for emergency response.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #72 on: December 19, 2016, 12:39:37 AM
Virgin Mobile is basically Bell. I would be surprised they would use the Rogers infrastructure.

I never had issues with Rogers coverage. I had issues in paying my bill. Rogers went out of their way to inconvenience me at every step.

Loving the new phone. I did find out I didn't get the phone number I selected from the list offered but that is a very small inconvenience. On the plus side, I found I had 23 dollars in my Google account that I forgot about. :rofl:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 12:41:58 AM by Chako »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #73 on: December 19, 2016, 01:05:10 AM
Rogers has little coverage at my parent's place but they refuse to change because they have been with Rogers for years.   :facepalm:

I wasn't sure if Virgin was Bell or not.  There are only two networks across Canada, and ask if the others run off one network or the other.

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #74 on: December 19, 2016, 01:53:13 AM
Here are some photos of the new phone along with my two older ones.

First off is an ancient LG 325 circa 2005. Next is my Samsung S3 circa 2012, and last the LG G5 which was bought today.

So after a 2 year cell phone free hiatus, I once again get connected.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 01:54:46 AM by Chako »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #75 on: December 19, 2016, 01:58:03 AM
:borg: :assimilate:

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #76 on: December 19, 2016, 02:07:09 AM
 This makes perfect sense.  :facepalm:  :D

fr Online Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #77 on: December 19, 2016, 12:23:01 PM

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #78 on: December 20, 2016, 01:34:27 AM
Well there you go then.

I'm hearing rumors of a new Super Nokia smartphone.  Anyone else hearing of such a thing?

Def

fr Online Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #79 on: December 20, 2016, 11:59:37 AM
seems to be that they are going to release some new android phones now that they are out from under the MS chokehold.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #80 on: December 22, 2016, 03:14:27 AM
Yeah MS really dropped the ball.  They had a lot going for them with WinCE but let it die too soon with no replacement. Windows Mobile was the dominant mobile OS before Android and iOS existed.

They must have taken complacency lessons from Blackberry.  :facepalm:

Def

us Offline campussecurity

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: February 11, 2017, 06:32:28 AM
Just replaced my iPhone 6S with a new Google Pixel. Also have a Blackberry Private that runs Android. The Pixel is one hell of a phone.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #82 on: February 11, 2017, 11:41:37 PM
I have been looking at the Pixel phones, and it was one of the ones I strongly considered a couple of weeks ago when I needed a new phone.  In the end I went with the Galaxy S5 Neo, which is just an upgraded version of my old S5.  As an added bonus, I was able to use the same Otterbox Defender that I originally got for my original S5.   :tu:

Def

us Offline campussecurity

• No Life Club
Android Phones
Reply #83 on: February 12, 2017, 02:44:47 AM
Nice Grant! Don't think we can get the Neo where in the US. Or I would for my wife. She loves her S5. Just looked up the Neo that's some killer specs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 02:47:45 AM by campussecurity »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #84 on: February 12, 2017, 04:09:32 AM
It's a nice phone. I really liked the S5 and this one is a hod rod version of it.

I'm quite happy with it 

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #85 on: March 12, 2017, 04:05:45 PM
Just got myself a Oukitel K10000, a decent smartphone by it's features, but why I really wanted
it, is the 10000mah battery!  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

That's right ladies and gentlemen, I did say 10000mah battery...

After three days of constant fiddling and playing with it, constantly on Wifi and all, 40% battery left and it was first charge...

And all this for 217 euros  :tu:

Size and weight wise... it's a beast, 5,5" screen, 300+ grams weight

I'll get some pics in soon, cause I know how MTO rolls ;)

Oh and I forgot, it also works as a powerbank...  :drool:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #86 on: March 12, 2017, 08:45:12 PM
That's a hell of a battery. How is it to carry being so heavy?

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #87 on: March 14, 2017, 06:57:10 PM
That's a hell of a battery. How is it to carry being so heavy?

My first cellphone was Nokia 1611, you get used to it :D

That said, after some checking... Yes the K10000 is my heaviest phone ever  :ahhh

:cheers:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 07:15:10 PM by Aleph78 »
"Hoarder of weirdness,

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #88 on: March 14, 2017, 07:30:41 PM
Aforementioned pics...

Sorry for the bad quality pics, lighting was challenging to say the least...

Nice 5,5" screen (yes those are air bubbles under the screen protector film ::) still waiting for the reinforced glass screen protector...)

It's a thick smurfer, at least twice the thickness of my old Samsung Galaxy S5 (also twice the weight)

It has a thin clear plastic cover on the back... I found it handy holding some familiar merchandise... ;)

Definitely not a phone for those who want light gear and/or the best performance, but for me it's just what I need, decent performance, long battery life :cheers:

Oh ya, forgot: The current version runs Android 6.0 Marshmallow
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 07:32:03 PM by Aleph78 »
"Hoarder of weirdness,

england Offline Kev D

Reply #89 on: March 20, 2017, 01:30:28 PM
I don't know what's going on with my provider at the mo, but since last Thursday/Friday I have lost 4G at home, and the 3G is up and down every 5 minutes. They say they are looking into it, but no update. If I drive half a mile up the hill it's perfect, so I'm guessing it's the cell tower that covers my area.

Still no home internet either, waiting for a new cable modem now it's been diagnosed correctly.

I had to actually interact with people in person this weekend  :o

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD