Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Android Phones

Kev D · 434 · 21073

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Re: Android Phones
Reply #90 on: March 20, 2017, 07:04:52 PM
Update on the Oukitel K10000, I charged it on Sat week before last, still has 25% battery life left, so 10+ days battery life confirmed :tu:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #91 on: March 20, 2017, 11:04:54 PM
Update on the Oukitel K10000, I charged it on Sat week before last, still has 25% battery life left, so 10+ days battery life confirmed :tu:
:sa:
BTW, I recommend keeping the battery above 15% or so. It will last much longer before becoming weak.  :tu:

What about quality?
How does it handle websurfing?
Anything you don't like?
 :)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #92 on: March 21, 2017, 11:40:33 AM
:sa:
BTW, I recommend keeping the battery above 15% or so. It will last much longer before becoming weak.  :tu:

What about quality?
How does it handle websurfing?
Anything you don't like?
 :)

Performance wise I'd say its on par with my old Galaxy S5, which is perfectly fine for me. I think the touchscreen is actually more responsive on the Oukitel and it seems that surfing is somewhat faster (I have Firefox on both phones). I've pretty much gotten used to it now, but it is a really heavy smurf, easily heaviest phone I've ever had, surpassing even the venerable Nokia 1611, affectionally called "The Log" ;)

It's recommended to get a reinforced glass screen protector for it, no Gorilla Glass here.

All in all I really like it, it's worked perfectly for me :tu:
"Hoarder of weirdness,

england Offline Kev D

Reply #93 on: March 21, 2017, 04:06:10 PM
10 days!! If use my note4 normally I can get a day at most out if it, sometimes not even that long. 

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #94 on: March 21, 2017, 06:08:18 PM
10 days!! If use my note4 normally I can get a day at most out if it, sometimes not even that long.

Well, of course it depends on the use, mine sees very light use normally, but I would point out that the K10000 has 3 times larger battery than Note 4 ;)

EDIT: Oh and yes, 10 days confirmed as I just connected the charger with the phone being at 17%  :salute:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 06:09:29 PM by Aleph78 »
"Hoarder of weirdness,

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #95 on: March 21, 2017, 08:20:45 PM
With my wife's Samsung Galaxy Core acting up more and more I've been looking for a replacement. A new battery and wiping the cache partition a few times (but not a factory reset) seem to have little effect. It can be plugged in charging for hours and it suddenly decides it's "fully charged" and stops charging. You unplug it and it's only got 10% charge, plug in again, full. Rinse repeat.  :facepalm:

I'm considering a Motorola Moto G4 Play as a good option for upgrade as it's not overly expensive but a decent hardware upgrade.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #96 on: May 04, 2018, 02:15:47 PM
Over a year later...

About 4 months ago we finally replaced my wife's Galaxy Core with an LG K8 2017 since it really was beyond fixing and barely functioning, she got the Galaxy a few months after I got my Nexus 4, and replaced it before. The other day I pulled the trigger on a Moto G5 Plus, 2nd hand off amazon in very good condition, should arrive early next week. The past few weeks my Nexus4 has randomly been dropping out of the sim requiring me to reenter the PIN, as well as a few instances where something like using the camera caused a total lockup. Over the past few days it got a lot worse and the phone locked up on it's own while sitting idle on my desk, hence my need to get a replacement ASAP. According to my order receipt, I had the Nexus4 for 4years 8 months, which isn't terribly bad, especially with a phone that has a glass back prone to shattering (mine is still intact) The Nexus 4 will likely still be useful as a GPS for the car or similar, running without a sim it should do fine, and battery life isn't a big concern as it can be plugged in.

Hoping the G5 plus does well, at the very least I can play with it for 30 days and return it. Someone might say why didn't I wait and go for the new G6, the reasons are: price, much larger size, and glass back (seriously?)

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #97 on: May 04, 2018, 02:54:46 PM
I need a new phone... not only is the screen badly cracked on my old one but I'm finding there are certain apps that need a more recent version of Android. I don't want to spend hundreds but I also don't want it to become obsolete as soon as I buy it....

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #98 on: May 04, 2018, 03:30:27 PM
Who's your service provider and what are you looking for in a phone? I'm a wireless consultant for a nationwide chain stores who sells Verizon. Maybe I can point you in the right direction.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #99 on: May 04, 2018, 04:17:21 PM
I need a new phone... not only is the screen badly cracked on my old one but I'm finding there are certain apps that need a more recent version of Android. I don't want to spend hundreds but I also don't want it to become obsolete as soon as I buy it....

I’d get either the Pixel 2 or moto G6, depending on budget. But the last time I needed a new one I bought an iPhone, so what do I know? :shrug:  :D

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #100 on: May 04, 2018, 04:40:46 PM

I’d get either the Pixel 2 or moto G6, depending on budget. But the last time I needed a new one I bought an iPhone, so what do I know? :shrug:  :D
Think you missed the point on both accounts. Although a G6 is slightly more affordable, the Pixel range seems to have jumped the high end only bandwagon, oh for the good ole days of affordable Nexus phones.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #101 on: May 04, 2018, 10:34:17 PM
My service provider is Vodafone (here in New Zealand) and my old phone is an *ahem* Ace 3 but I was happy enough with it except that its Android version is too old to run several apps I want. I will probably get a second hand phone because I am poor at the moment.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #102 on: May 07, 2018, 12:46:04 PM
Well my G5 plus arrived this morning and I'm all switched over from my Nexus 4. So far it's been pretty awesome, once I got past the 5 system updates pending (and then factory reset with latest update). Sadly no Oreo yet, but this device is due for the upgrade at some point.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #103 on: May 16, 2018, 11:05:36 AM
My note 4 is still on marshmallow and doesn't look like it'll get anymore updates

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #104 on: May 16, 2018, 12:39:31 PM
Not overly surprising considering how little updates my Nexus4 got even as a google device.

My Moto G5 Plus however came out 4 months before Oreo was released, and while it is on the update list, Oreo has been out over 8 months now. The new Moto G6 range are on Oreo, so I suspect they are going to wait for the initial upgrade rush to wear down before the older model gets the update especially since there is marketing material which points towards Oreo vs Nougat as a perk to upgrading to the G6 line vs G5/G5S

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #105 on: August 11, 2018, 05:21:29 AM
OK, what is a good version of Android to get? I don't want to suddenly find in the near future that my version won't support many apps/updates of apps (which is the case now with my old phone).
If I get, say, an S7 and it uses one version of Android, can I easily update to a later version if it is supported by that model of phone?  :think:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #106 on: August 11, 2018, 12:28:20 PM
OK, what is a good version of Android to get? I don't want to suddenly find in the near future that my version won't support many apps/updates of apps (which is the case now with my old phone).
If I get, say, an S7 and it uses one version of Android, can I easily update to a later version if it is supported by that model of phone?  :think:
That's entirely up to the phone manufacturer of the phone.

For example, my current Motorola G5 Plus is slated to receive Oreo (8.1) soon but that will be the last main version update it receives, in fact about a week and a half ago the release notes dropped so I should be getting it soon ish hopefully. In the meantime it's on Nougat (7.0)

Meanwhile my Samsung Galaxy Tab S T700 8.4 is still running Marshmallow (6.0) with only some minor security updates and won't be changing Android versions unless I install a 3rd party rom.

There are already some new devices dropping (mostly Google iirc) that will come with Pie (9.0)

Years ago they talked about removing a lot of features and having them as addon apps to make updating easier, ie the cores would involve less work for each device, but I get the feeling if you really want updated versions, you'll be looking at a new device in a year.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7-7821.php S7 is slated to have upgrade to Oreo as well, beyond that is anyone's guess. I can't imagine you'll have problems for at least a few years when even Oreo (and the hardware spec of the phone) are several generations behind. Also consider my old Nexus 4 was still going fine with Lollipop (5.1) until it started suffering from random hardware glitches after over 4 years of service.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #107 on: August 11, 2018, 12:44:42 PM
Thanks... I might try to get an S7, unless there is another brand that is comparable but cheaper if it's not as popular.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #108 on: August 11, 2018, 01:04:02 PM
also worth noting: I bought my nexus 4 about the same time the replacement nexus 5 was released, and again my g5 plus when the g6 plus was released. So technically I'm going for mature hardware with maintained software.

my eyes water at the sight of the prices of the bleeding edge devices.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #109 on: August 14, 2018, 02:30:52 AM
I had to retire my old Motorola last week. I heard a cracking noise, and the only thing it could have been on my desk was my work computer, my phone, or my notepad was about to self destruct. Picked up my phone, and it was decidedly warm to the touch. Shut it off, dropped it in my empty and dry coffee cup, and let it cool off. Or catch fire, as the case might be. Fortunately, my desk didn't become a bonfire, but when I got the case off, the casing itself had seperated along both sides and there was the smell of lithium battery. Smurf. Smurf smurf, smurfity smurf smurfer! Part of the last lot of Moto Xs assembled in America, held up for four years almost to the day.

Got the new phone on the next day. Sadly, they don't make smaller phones anymore. But.... Samsung J7 2018 is impressing me. Battery life is amazing- I can leave it standby, just chilling, and it drops from 100% to 98% over 10 hours. The battery life estimate rounds to days for how I'm using it. Nifty toys in it, like an FM tuner. Need to attach headphones to use as an antenna, but I always have those in my pack anyway. Still getting used to the hard button layout, and I"m not sure I'm completely thrilled with how it does notifications for email and text, but I might not have it set up quite right. The only thing I haven't been able to do is figure out how to access the SD card.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #110 on: August 18, 2018, 01:07:36 PM
My Samsung  Note 4 is getting retired.  It's eating batteries now and the screen response has got really slow since I dropped it a few weeks ago  :facepalm:

It's getting replaced with a Samsung S9 Plus, which should arrive on Tuesday. 

It means all new charging cables as it's usb C instead of micro usb, new phone case and screen protector, so I hit amazon for them all this morning and they will be here by Wednesday.

:mail: :mail:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #111 on: August 20, 2018, 07:39:10 PM
Using an iPhone here.

Send help.  :ahhh

All hail the hook!

england Offline Kev D

Reply #112 on: August 20, 2018, 08:41:57 PM
Using an iPhone here.

I used to use an iPhone,  I switched to android when the iPhone 5 came out.  I prefer the freedom android gives over iOS, especially for streaming apps like kodi

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #113 on: August 20, 2018, 09:12:30 PM
Using an iPhone here.

I feel your pain. Switched to an iPhone SE a year ago after using two very good android phones - to get a more compact model - and wish I hadn’t. It’s not bad, but I prefer the android OS. I can’t justify a new phone right now, so it’ll have to do.   :shrug:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #114 on: August 20, 2018, 09:21:39 PM
My hearing aid is a “made for Apple” device.  ::) which is why I have the iPhone.  :ahhh :cry:

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #115 on: August 20, 2018, 10:39:48 PM
Shouldn't you have an earPhone instead then?  :facepalm:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #116 on: August 20, 2018, 10:53:54 PM
Then they wouldn’t be hearing aids. :P

If an Made for Android version existed, I wouldn’t have the iPhone. :tu:

All hail the hook!

england Offline Kev D

Reply #117 on: August 20, 2018, 11:18:07 PM
My hearing aid is a “made for Apple” device.  ::) which is why I have the iPhone.  :ahhh :cry:

Android are coming  :tu:

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-is-rethinking-the-hearing-aid-and-now-android-is-too/

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #118 on: August 21, 2018, 12:28:39 AM
Yay.  :like:

All hail the hook!

england Offline Kev D

Reply #119 on: August 21, 2018, 01:10:17 PM