Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Contender 1- BLACK UTILITY POCKET KNIFE BOX CUTTER BOTTLE OPENER SCREWDRIVER EDC

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Holy crap, how much?  :o

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Holy crap, how much?  :o

Let's just say that your $5 won't be lonely because they will have another 270 of their friends along.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
 :o  :rofl:

Yeah, 5 bucks is sounding a lot better.  I think I found mine for 3 dollars last year off of eBay.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Contender 1 arrived today and I'm not sure what, if anything I was expecting, although a part of me thinks it's cool that Contender 1 arrived first.  :D

The first thing I noticed was that it was much larger than I expected it to be.  I expected it to be about half to two thirds of the size that it is, but as you can see it is somewhat larger than a 91mm SAK, which of course is what made me decide to take my own measurements.  Out came the calipers and my results are as follows:

100mm long
26mm high
3mm thick
34 grams

Now that that is out of the way, Contender 1 came with three blades- one installed in the tool and two more in a plastic baggie, which is good, because when it comes to securing razor blades we all know the plastic baggie is near the top of safe handling and containment materials.   :facepalm:

On the surface, this seems like it might be an ok tool- after all, it's just a razor blade holder with a bottle opener and screwdriver on the end.  Well, I haven't actually used it yet, as I've just opened the package and took some pics, but I have to say that I am thoroughly unimpressed so far.

As mentioned above the razor blade is drawn over and then pressed against the screw on the corner that holds the two halves of the frame together.  Not only does this dull the edge but it also chips it off, as you can see from the above photo- if a bit of rough handling in a bubble mailer can leave giant marks in the blade, what are the chances it will be in any shape to be used when it's been bounced around in a first aid kit or EDC bag?

The next issue with this tool is that you sort of have to pry the halves apart enough that you can lift the blade over the screw and out the opening so that it can be used.  I have fairly small, almost ladylike hands, and this was not easy for me to accomplish, so those of you that have man sized hands are pretty well screwed, and you'll probably need a multitool with you to get the blade out.

Then, once you have the blade sticking out, the next bit of fun begins- the blade won't come out any further which is nice, but there's nothing but the most basic amount of friction to keep it from sliding back in.  On the surface that sounds ok, but in reality that will probably get annoying in actual use, especially if it can't be then extended again easily.

I'm going to give this one some use and see what happens, but I have to say I am not expecting much from this tool.  If this was the end of the Challenge and not the first look I'd have to say this one fails miserably, but there's still time for it to redeem itself.  You never know, it might perform a lot better in actual use.  I am hoping so, because this tool is remarkably disappointing at this point.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Strange that there's no real retention of the blade, I would have thought that there would be a small pin slotting into the notches on the blade. Would be a simple solution.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
The blade won't fall out, so I guess it's safe enough from that perspective.  But it won't stay extended by itself, which means that it greatly suffers from actually accomplishing any work without frustrating the user.

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
And yet I have no issues with this tool and use it quite a lot. Maybe I got myself a good copy.  :think:

This is how I open and close mine.

I then use my other hand to move the blade. You do have to get over that screw...so you do have to pull up and out at the same time.

I am curious to see how you get along with it. Looks like it is a bad start...not liking that chipped blade at all.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 03:04:52 AM by Chako »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Well I was hoping for more from this as I do like a good utility blade knife :-\ The chipped blade off the start is enough to put me off wanting one though :ahhh Hopefully that was a fluke and it ends up being a bit better quality than the first impressions you have of it :tu:

england Offline Kev D

Oh dear, that doesn't bode well for the ones I have coming.  How's the cap lifter on the other end?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
I've been running so much the past week or so that I haven't had any time to test the bottle opener.   :ahhh

I'll do my best to get it done soon, but a bottle opener is a pretty hard thing to screw up. 

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Another contender in the $5 Challenge arrived today and I decided to try Contender 1 to open the package it came in.

As you can see, Contender 1 managed to get a little bit lower in my opinion.

As you can see, not only did the blade fail to stay in the handle, but it also failed to actually cut open the package.  Regardless of how well this functions as a bottle opener, I feel safe in calling this one a complete and utter fail.  Yes, with practice and use I may be able to use this tool with the knife blade safely inside, but I don't see why a user should "practice" using a knife- it should be there and functional, or it should not be.  Period.

I'm afraid this tool is now firmly embedded in the FAIL category.

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Sorry to hear this. I think you got a really bad example. Mine does not exhibit this behaviour. On the other hand,that is totally unforgivable in something where one can lose a finger using it.

england Offline Kev D

The 5 I ordered were waiting for me when I got home and they are different to yours in that they don't ride on a screw. It rides flat on a shelf and the blade is secured very well. I'll strip one and post photos to show.

england Offline Kev D

Here's what the ones I got are like...

The tool

The edge showing the shelf the blade rides on

The internals

Instructions for use

It's really easy to deploy the blade and it holds it securely as well. A nice little tool and dirt cheap to boot. Mines definitely a winner  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
I'm glad to hear that both of yours work a lot better than mine.  I still can't see myself recommending this tool to anyone as they could just as easily get my terrible example rather than a better one.  If there was a specific manufacturer that I could count on to stand behind a product and make it right, that would be a different story, but there isn't and that's why this one will stay a fail in my mind. 

Of course the fact that you guys both have good ones, and multiple examples of it is a definite positive for this one though, and if someone is willing to risk it, there is some potential.

Def

england Offline Kev D

If there was a specific manufacturer that I could count on to stand behind a product and make it right, that would be a different story, but there isn't and that's why this one will stay a fail in my mind. 
Def

I agree. It was pure pot luck that have these type and not ones like you have. I just did a search and picked the one with the best feedback on ebay. There were many different sellers and all at the same price.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
I agree. I wonder if these are made in different factories with varying quality.  :think:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Or the same factory with varying quality....  :whistle:

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%