Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

No more Victorinox-made special SAK models for Swiss Bianco

shibafu · 100 · 12211

gb Offline shibafu

From the Swiss Bianco newsletter:

"The latest news from Switzerland is that the current tough economic conditions forced Victorinox management to stop pursuing development and production of the best possible SAK and to limit themselves to basic models and colors. As a result, none of the Swiss Bianco special models and colors will be produced any longer. There is a short window of opportunity for collectors to purchase the pieces we still have in stock, as once they are gone, that's it!

In the recent runs from Victorinox we observed higher than usual rate of quality issues, such as anodizing damage, so it seems that the economic issues also had impact on the level of quality control. We are thankful to Mr. Elsener and Victorinox for the past co-operation with us and hoping that this iconic company will be able to weather the storm."

Thoughts?

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Re: No more Victorinox-made special SAK models for Swiss Bianco
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 12:53:13 PM
 :(
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 12:58:09 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 01:03:17 PM
I've never seen a Swiss Bianco in the Netherlands, so it doesn't matter much to me. Good news for other modders, though.

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 01:03:32 PM
Reads like a passive aggressive swipe at Victorinox... and I cannot gauge whether it is bitterness, legitimate or somewhere in between. What it means?

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 01:05:18 PM
In the recent runs from Victorinox we observed higher than usual rate of quality issues, such as anodizing damage, so it seems that the economic issues also had impact on the level of quality control.

Comes off a little...ungracious?

A little "I slept with your brother" called over the shoulder as you leave the resturaunt after being dumped...

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 01:14:48 PM
"to limit themselves to basic models and colors"    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We have had more, widely available, coloured Alox models in the past year than in the past 50.....

Wasn't it last year that Victorinox was saying that it will not produce any more coloured alox?..

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 01:15:46 PM
I've never seen a Swiss Bianco in the Netherlands, so it doesn't matter much to me. Good news for other modders, though.

I have some, ordered them from Swiss Bianco Canada on eBay. Very reasonable shipping costs, Canada-Netherlands door to door in only 4 business days and Swiss Bianco Canada was even kind enough to value them at 21 dollars on the customs form so I didn't have to pay import taxes  8)
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 01:18:30 PM
It does have a hint of sour grapes about it.  When he says "current tough economic conditions forced Victorinox management to stop pursuing development and production of the best possible SAK," I did wonder if it really just means Victorinox management have made a commercial decision to stop giving him the special deal he's had, that they've never done for anyone else.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 02:21:19 PM
Reads like a passive aggressive swipe at Victorinox... and I cannot gauge whether it is bitterness, legitimate or somewhere in between. What it means?

That's what I thought. They should be grateful to stand in the heavy shadow of Victorinox. Victorinox will still be here when SB will long have been gone. I don't respect whoever doesn't respect the Elsener legacy.

Aἰδώς Ἀργεῖοι. Shame Argives!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 02:55:46 PM
I have already seen questions asked (on another forum) about Vics quality.... :facepalm:  If there was a chance for SB to get future models...that quality comment will probably be the final nail in their coffin.    :twak:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 03:42:32 PM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 04:17:06 PM
I think he should have just let it be and keep it short and sweet and not took a jab at the hand that has been feeding him for so many years ???

But I have never bought anything from him anyways so I guess it doesn't really matter to me anyways :shrug:

Sorry for all the people that buy stuff from him but I think Vic saw the opportunity to make money for themselves and gave him the boot :whistle:

That was not good for him but good business (they were basically competing for each others business) :think:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 04:18:41 PM
I have already seen questions asked (on another forum) about Vics quality.... :facepalm:  If there was a chance for SB to get future models...that quality comment will probably be the final nail in their coffin.    :twak:

I agree about the quality comment and don't think personally that there has been any slip in their QC :shrug:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 04:22:49 PM
In the recent runs from Victorinox we observed higher than usual rate of quality issues, such as anodizing damage, so it seems that the economic issues also had impact on the level of quality control.

Comes off a little...ungracious?

A little "I slept with your brother" called over the shoulder as you leave the resturaunt after being dumped...

^^^ this

Best possible SAK to me was never related to color IMO  :think:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 07:00:00 PM
It does have a hint of sour grapes about it.  When he says "current tough economic conditions forced Victorinox management to stop pursuing development and production of the best possible SAK," I did wonder if it really just means Victorinox management have made a commercial decision to stop giving him the special deal he's had, that they've never done for anyone else.

I think you hit the nail right on the head!!!

I for one have never quite understood the draw of a "special" color SAK at three times the price of a "regular" factory SAK. But then I don't understand paying many thousands of dollars for a car then scrapping the wheels and other things for 'custom' wheels and things.

I think Roger is showing a bit of butt hurt and sour grapes that for whatever reason Victoronox has made a choice to stop dealing with him. Whatever. Swissbianco is a tiny tiny drop in the bucket of the business that Victorinox does on an international scale. This is THE largest knife company in the entire world, making many millions of units for sale every year. Maybe the tight international economy has made it not with their while to deal with the tiny independent dealers like Roger, so Roger gets cancelled. Oh well, that's business.

If times are hard, I do see Victorinox maybe cutting down the model line of some of the least popular models. But I don't see Mr. Elsner cutting the quality of his families business that has been a hallmark of quality for well over a century. Maybe Roger will have to get a job?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 07:02:25 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 07:12:07 PM

I agree about the quality comment and don't think personally that there has been any slip in their QC :shrug:
Yes and no. While Vics is top notch, they quality has dropped some what. It is still better than most. I do agree with what Sak Guy said and there comments put the last nail in there coffin. Good. No Alox should cost that much. I used to talk to Roger all the time.......you know what, I will keep that to myself. If you dig up the past, all you get is dirty. I wished he went with his FSB Neck Angels and ran with that. Those where some sweet blades. Anyways, I do feel sorry for the peeps who bought them. But I hope Vic does it from here on out and should be able to do it cheaper with no middle man driving up the cost.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 07:14:00 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 07:17:11 PM
Me, I am indifferent. Although I do have a few of his pieces in my collection, I always found him to be a bear to deal with personally. Then that other member here took things in his  hands and I heard customer satisfaction went up...but by that time, I was soured with the whole operation and never bought again..
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 08:24:13 PM
Huh. Interesting. I think I'd have to probably think that there is some truth to every angle expressed in this thread and Swiss Bs letter too (with a definite dose of sour grapes).
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #18 on: August 26, 2016, 08:29:15 PM
Unfortunate...

I was hoping to see some interesting Pioneer X variations from +B.

Also hearing that Vic is struggling, not good...

« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 08:31:58 PM by twiliter »

us Offline Captain Howdy

Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 09:56:08 PM
The peices are all coming together now. I was over on another knife forum a few days ago and someone had asked Rodger about a possible future run of electrician plus'. He commented back with:

"thanks for the suggestion, victorinox does not work on the quest of the best swiss knife anymore and therefore such a model will not be made anytime soon. we work on a better alternative and in time we will see what variations we will offer."

I thought his response was alittle odd.  :think:
Up the irons

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #20 on: August 26, 2016, 09:57:45 PM

Not good if there's any truth in it.  Which is a big "if".

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 26, 2016, 10:10:48 PM

I'd rate it as a really big 'if'.

Sour grapes can greatly exaggerate facts.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #22 on: August 26, 2016, 10:13:08 PM
The peices are all coming together now. I was over on another knife forum a few days ago and someone had asked Rodger about a possible future run of electrician plus'. He commented back with:

"thanks for the suggestion, victorinox does not work on the quest of the best swiss knife anymore and therefore such a model will not be made anytime soon. we work on a better alternative and in time we will see what variations we will offer."

OMG!!!!  I hope he's not moving to Swiza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :facepalm:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #23 on: August 26, 2016, 10:14:03 PM

I hope it's not true, hard to believe that about a company that came out with such nice products so recently.

Time will tell, fingers crossed. I know I'm doing my part at least, my investment is significant!  :ahhh

us Offline Captain Howdy

Reply #24 on: August 26, 2016, 10:21:32 PM

OMG!!!!  I hope he's not moving to Swiza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :facepalm:
:rofl:
Up the irons

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 26, 2016, 10:22:54 PM
Actually, I would be a little surprised if business was great for Vic these days. "Everybody" seems to have a hard time. Now, if they have problems, very few companies have that kind of brand loyalty and position, so they should have quite some room to maneuver.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #26 on: August 26, 2016, 10:49:32 PM
They have diversity of products. As it was clear in Victorinox store in Geneva, SAKs play a minor role. They covered a space in the underground floor, and not all of it. The rest was clothes, luggage, watches.
On the other hand, there are many makers of clothes, luggage and watches of the middle/upper market segment and Victorinox isn't the most well known in the masses of consumers. Especially women who are the powehouse of shopping. And they might have problems absorving Wenger acquisition, which they made in a very uncommon way (I have in mind the Zeiss/Carl Zeiss Jenna merger, when many people where simply fired). Also, in austerity times luxuries are the first to suffer. You will prefer food, electricity and heating over Swarovski crystals, silk ties and airport perfumes, for a certain budget. A SAK per person isn't a luxury, but it is cheap enough to not provide high revenues. And most people don't carry a SAK, while for those who carry, the damn thing lasts forever. We, who have a small, medium or big collection, are very few.
So, it is possible that they might have some stress, but they survived so far, they survived 9/11, they have no Swiss contest anymore, so they will probably overcome it, even if that means restricting their R&D. SAKs are classic, what's that "quest for the perfect SAK" sillyness? We already have the perfect SAK, and it comes in many flavors.
I think that they can do it. If they weren't a historical family bussiness with an unmatchable know how, they would just have to sell the firm to the Chinese and invest elsewhere. But I don't see them doing that. They'll do it their way.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 10:51:20 PM by kkokkolis »

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 26, 2016, 11:08:11 PM
The Victorinox foundation, the biggest owner of Vic IIRC, has providing employment in Ibach as part of their charter.

Edit: Just wanted to add that their kitchen cutlery line seems to be going strong. It's "everywhere" here, and generally regarded as good price/performance.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:11:14 PM by Steinar »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #28 on: August 26, 2016, 11:54:58 PM
I think you guys have said it all..
The wording of this announcement is appalling and smacks of arrogance, sour grapes, twisted facts, is very subjective, and something like that should never be posted on a dealer website regarding their main supplier.

..."Victorinox management to stop pursuing development and production of the best possible SAK"...
So what is the best possible SAK SB ??? I guess you are saying this must be a custom SB model? - I think thousands of SAK users around the world would disagree with you - As someone pointed out above we already have the best SAK - in fact lots of them.
What rubbish SB - Tell the truth - They have just stopped suppling limited editions to you - in line with an announcement they made last year. Also as pointed out above - Who wants to pay three or four times the price for a different colour on the handle anyway.

..."In the recent runs from Victorinox we observed higher than usual rate of quality issues, such as anodizing damage, so it seems that the economic issues also had impact on the level of quality control".....
Don't bite the hand that feeds you, and publicly criticise your supplier - If there are issues resolve them quietly and directly

...."We are thankful to Mr. Elsener and Victorinox for the past co-operation with us and hoping that this iconic company will be able to weather the storm".....
What arrogance. Again as pointed out above - Vic have a fabulous and diverse line of products, will long outlast SB, and will have a successful and rosy future.
Yes economic, political and social times are changing but the Swiss Army Knife will live on  :tu:

PS. Sorry for the  :rant: - I have never had any dealings with SB - I like his products and videos - His Damascus story is fascinating - But I think that statement was out of order.  >:(
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 12:02:28 AM by Huntsman »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #29 on: August 27, 2016, 12:03:36 AM
I see that most here and on Bladeforums share the same opinion:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1424104-Victorinox-Quality

To put it simple, it seems that SB is butthurt and is trying to give a last "drama queen" moment before they finally sink, or start the process of loss that will ultimately lead to their disappearance. I say that keeping all respect for them, but business is business regardless of personal considerations.
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%