Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Should I get Farmer or Hiker ? help me choose

Gee.B · 34 · 4846

Poll

Should I get a Farmer or a Hiker ?

A Hiker
6 (25%)
a Farmer
18 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 24

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Re: Should I get Farmer or Hiker ? help me choose
Reply #30 on: August 31, 2016, 06:18:35 PM
Are the can opener and bottle opener a bit thicker on the Farmer as well ?
i'm wondering because I sometimes use them as levers

The can opener is the same (also on 111mm Vics, by the way) but the flat head/bottle opener is slightly bigger.

My 111mm Outrider had the same size bottle opener, not larger than the 91mm size. I think maybe it's only the liner lock 111mm models with the larger one. Or maybe it's after a certain year they switched?

My farmer's bottle opener is bigger as described. I definitely look to the farmer when I want a sturdier tool. Not sure what a break-test would show, but I feel more confident using it as a pry bar than a Cellidor model.
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: August 31, 2016, 06:48:27 PM
The pins on the 93 mm models have a 44% bigger cross section (3 ** 2 / 2.5 ** 2), so I would expect a 93 mm to handle significantly worse abuse than a 91. Thicker tools and outermost scale being thicker aluminum vs thin aluminum and an old type of plastic doesn't paint a prettier picture for the 91 mm.

On the other hand, I still prefer the 91 mm for different reasons, and http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,46255.0.html demonstrated the 91 mms being no shrinking violets. :D

"Not as strong" isn't the same as "not strong enough", though that will of course vary for different users. (And then you quickly get closer to fixed blade territory.)

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: August 31, 2016, 06:50:49 PM
"Thise little red knives can't handle real work": http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,46255.msg754533.html#msg754533

:rofl:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: September 02, 2016, 01:50:03 PM
Have you considered some of the Delemont line (basically wengers) My S18 has the perfect tool set for my light carry days. Scissors, saw, locking blade, nail file, opener/screwdriver combos (flat and phillips), phillips, and awl and it is only 3 layers. If you do not want a locking blade get the one without a "S" in front of it. On days I carry this all I normally carry with it (mt wise) is one of those tiny swisstech folding pliers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD