Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

No more Victorinox-made special SAK models for Swiss Bianco

shibafu · 100 · 12219

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: No more Victorinox-made special SAK models for Swiss Bianco
Reply #60 on: August 30, 2016, 07:43:31 PM
 :like:

:rofl:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #61 on: August 30, 2016, 07:43:52 PM
New page banana man dance

:nanadance:      :nanadance:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #62 on: August 30, 2016, 07:56:41 PM

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #64 on: August 30, 2016, 09:30:40 PM
From the Swiss Bianco newsletter:

"The latest news from Switzerland is that the current tough economic conditions forced Victorinox management to stop pursuing development and production of the best possible SAK and to limit themselves to basic models and colors. As a result, none of the Swiss Bianco special models and colors will be produced any longer. There is a short window of opportunity for collectors to purchase the pieces we still have in stock, as once they are gone, that's it!

In the recent runs from Victorinox we observed higher than usual rate of quality issues, such as anodizing damage, so it seems that the economic issues also had impact on the level of quality control. We are thankful to Mr. Elsener and Victorinox for the past co-operation with us and hoping that this iconic company will be able to weather the storm."

Thoughts?

Fox and grapes.jpg
* Fox and grapes.jpg (Filesize: 184.19 KB)
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #65 on: August 30, 2016, 10:15:00 PM
From the Swiss Bianco newsletter:

"The latest news from Switzerland is that the current tough economic conditions forced Victorinox management to stop pursuing development and production of the best possible SAK and to limit themselves to basic models and colors. As a result, none of the Swiss Bianco special models and colors will be produced any longer. There is a short window of opportunity for collectors to purchase the pieces we still have in stock, as once they are gone, that's it!

In the recent runs from Victorinox we observed higher than usual rate of quality issues, such as anodizing damage, so it seems that the economic issues also had impact on the level of quality control. We are thankful to Mr. Elsener and Victorinox for the past co-operation with us and hoping that this iconic company will be able to weather the storm."

Thoughts?

(Image removed from quote.)

Exactly.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline batosai117

Reply #66 on: August 30, 2016, 11:56:57 PM
I always admired the colors but after two messed up orders in a row I never ordered again. It seems he really burned the bridge of any potential future with Victorinox after his open gripe. He should have left off on a positive note in case things turn around. Plus, if I were a potential buyer I definitely wouldn't be now after that closing statement.

Sent from my electronic multi-tool.
Texas Peace Officer
EDC: Victorinox Safari Trooper & Ruger LC9
Go Outside we'll be here when you return :)

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #67 on: August 31, 2016, 07:41:55 AM
That first sentence of Swissbianco's second paragraph, regarding supposed quality control issues, is really out of place in the context of the newsletter.
What does it have to do with anything? Notice how it's crammed between the announcement, and the thanking of MrElsener.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: August 31, 2016, 09:36:42 AM
I always thought it was very weird how one guy was able to order a miraculous range of SAKs in a bewildering array of colours directly from Victorinox which he would then sell on at an enormous profit.
Those extra microns of colour on the scales were very seductive, but in the end I really couldn't justify spending hundreds of dollars on SAKS that would sit around unused. I have in the past had some fancy Alox and planned to use it, but I'd always think - hm, why not use a cheaper SAK instead of ruining this beauty?

Well I guess old SwissBianco's going to have a harder time making a living, now that he can no longer sell Davy's Grey Carvers and the like. Love him or loathe him, he will always be remembered as the man who gave us the most awesome SAKs of all time, glowing in the radiated glare of Apocalypse Green.
Man, I wish I'd ordered some of those!

So, good luck Mr SwissBianco, and thanks for giving us some whacky SAKs to lust after, even if we couldn't necessarily afford them!

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #69 on: August 31, 2016, 09:46:11 AM
I always thought it was very weird how one guy was able to order a miraculous range of SAKs in a bewildering array of colours directly from Victorinox which he would then sell on at an enormous profit.
Those extra microns of colour on the scales were very seductive, but in the end I really couldn't justify spending hundreds of dollars on SAKS that would sit around unused. I have in the past had some fancy Alox and planned to use it, but I'd always think - hm, why not use a cheaper SAK instead of ruining this beauty?

Well I guess old SwissBianco's going to have a harder time making a living, now that he can no longer sell Davy's Grey Carvers and the like. Love him or loathe him, he will always be remembered as the man who gave us the most awesome SAKs of all time, glowing in the radiated glare of Apocalypse Green.
Man, I wish I'd ordered some of those!

So, good luck Mr SwissBianco, and thanks for giving us some whacky SAKs to lust after, even if we couldn't necessarily afford them!

:hatsoff:

I was eyeballing some of his special editions, but always had other priorities. Although they cost a pretty penny, now that he's gone I do feel some regret about not buying them  :doh:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #70 on: August 31, 2016, 09:49:32 AM
Is that Carver SW knife sold by Victorinox in any color?

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: August 31, 2016, 09:56:51 AM

As far as I am aware, Mr SwissBianco is the only man in the universe who can provide you with such things.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #72 on: August 31, 2016, 10:19:22 AM
Regardless of color, that's an interesting SAK, a dedicated cutter. With a pair of scissors that could cut anything in many different ways.
The next SAK that has these tools combined is the XAVT, which isn't much of a user.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 10:20:57 AM by kkokkolis »

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: August 31, 2016, 10:45:12 AM
The next SAK that has these tools combined is the XAVT, which isn't much of a user.

Haha! If I was a millionaire, and King Kong, that would be my EDC. As it is, Mr Bianco's Carver is pretty special SAK - and I think he still has a few for sale...

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #74 on: August 31, 2016, 11:09:58 AM

Haha! If I was a millionaire, and King Kong, that would be my EDC. As it is, Mr Bianco's Carver is pretty special SAK - and I think he still has a few for sale...

I even dare to go a bit further than that: if I was a millionare OR King Kong I'll take the XAVT as EDC.
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: August 31, 2016, 11:30:01 AM
I always thought it was very weird how one guy was able to order a miraculous range of SAKs in a bewildering array of colours directly from Victorinox

This is what I'm really curious about. Im sure there's plenty of licensed Vic dealers that would love that kind of arrangement. How was one man able to secure this deal? Why did they do it for him and not others? I realize there is sort of a semi custom program for promo knives but it's generally just custom graphics on the blade or scales. He had to be friends with somebody at Vic, or some kind of connection. Surely there are larger dealers that could have bought these in even greater numbers from Vic...

I dont have any opinion on it, it's just odd to me that one person was given this special deal. Good or bad whatever it suggests some kind of a backstory.

-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: August 31, 2016, 11:32:12 AM
Also the next huge knife they come out with needs to be called the Millionaire Kong
-JJL

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #77 on: August 31, 2016, 12:05:20 PM

As far as I am aware, Mr SwissBianco is the only man in the universe who can provide you with such things.

Really?...

Show content

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #78 on: August 31, 2016, 12:33:43 PM
I always thought it was very weird how one guy was able to order a miraculous range of SAKs in a bewildering array of colours directly from Victorinox

This is what I'm really curious about. Im sure there's plenty of licensed Vic dealers that would love that kind of arrangement. How was one man able to secure this deal? Why did they do it for him and not others? I realize there is sort of a semi custom program for promo knives but it's generally just custom graphics on the blade or scales. He had to be friends with somebody at Vic, or some kind of connection. Surely there are larger dealers that could have bought these in even greater numbers from Vic...

I dont have any opinion on it, it's just odd to me that one person was given this special deal. Good or bad whatever it suggests some kind of a backstory.

Someone needs to interview him and ask him that.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 12:41:57 PM by shadowrider »

us Offline lichan

Reply #79 on: August 31, 2016, 06:40:54 PM
Or maybe JazzBass could ask Mr. Eisner. Just like Clark Kent can find out things from Superman. JK!

Offline marduk

Reply #80 on: August 31, 2016, 08:53:26 PM
It seems some of us are infected w/one of the 7 Deadly Sins: Envy.
I have dealt w/him almost since his arrival in the US & I have purchased his offering w/o any problems. In fact, about a year ago I bought his Apoc. Farmer Firesteel. When I ran my fingers over the scale, I felt a scratch: one of the rivets was sticking above the surface. I contacted him & he suggested I send it back & he would send me another that was somewhat better. It was then that he told me there was a problem about QC at Ibach.
Are his products overpriced? No more that any other dealer of SAKs. And look what some of his knives are selling for on ebay today.
Is he unique in getting special deals from Vic? No more that other dealers; see, for example, SK, SMS, Edelweiss, et al. Some of these even get bicolor & numbered Alox.
Does he get special treatment from Vic? Maybe, too many of us have forgotten his role in Vic's production of Damast blades.
I suggest we stop throwing stones at him. He has provided us w/products that many of us are anxious to have.
Has he made mistakes, has he said things that perhaps he should not have? Yes, but who of us has not?
Too many of us have forgotten why he came to the USA, the legal problems he had in his native land, & the personal problems he's had in recent years.
How many of those who have jumped on him can do what he has done: migrated to a new country, learned a new language, & established (I hope) a successful business at a time of economic stagnation in the US.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #81 on: August 31, 2016, 10:15:44 PM
It seems some of us are infected w/one of the 7 Deadly Sins: Envy.
I have dealt w/him almost since his arrival in the US & I have purchased his offering w/o any problems. In fact, about a year ago I bought his Apoc. Farmer Firesteel. When I ran my fingers over the scale, I felt a scratch: one of the rivets was sticking above the surface. I contacted him & he suggested I send it back & he would send me another that was somewhat better. It was then that he told me there was a problem about QC at Ibach.
Are his products overpriced? No more that any other dealer of SAKs. And look what some of his knives are selling for on ebay today.
Is he unique in getting special deals from Vic? No more that other dealers; see, for example, SK, SMS, Edelweiss, et al. Some of these even get bicolor & numbered Alox.
Does he get special treatment from Vic? Maybe, too many of us have forgotten his role in Vic's production of Damast blades.
I suggest we stop throwing stones at him. He has provided us w/products that many of us are anxious to have.
Has he made mistakes, has he said things that perhaps he should not have? Yes, but who of us has not?
Too many of us have forgotten why he came to the USA, the legal problems he had in his native land, & the personal problems he's had in recent years.
How many of those who have jumped on him can do what he has done: migrated to a new country, learned a new language, & established (I hope) a successful business at a time of economic stagnation in the US.
Good points, but I personally dislike the market that he produced by over-valuing these aluminum handle knives by adding color. Then, by not producing enough to meet demand, they automatically skyrocket in value and cause such a stir. This is not how I feel business should be done. These are only my two cents - and I do find your post somewhat informative.
SAW

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: August 31, 2016, 11:47:19 PM
I'm more curious than anything, nothing bad to say. For instance, didn't know about his role in the Damast blades. Since I wasn't around back then I have no idea. I had no issues ordering parts. Shipping price was kind of high, but it wasnt a suprise. I knew the price and still clicked my way through the order. I'm curious to see the new multi tool he's developing.  No personal grudge from me, never met him. But still I'm curious, I like hearing stories of how people started their business, the challenges and success, mistakes and victories. So I ask questions about his relationship with Victorinox because it seems unique.

If he branches out to build folders all on his own, I'll give them a look. Probably won't be able to afford it though.

-JJL

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #83 on: September 01, 2016, 12:11:33 AM
I am happy to hear you had no issues with the man. I however had a totally different experience on 2 separate occasions. Mind you, now that you have mentioned it, those could possibly be due to a language barrier.

With that said, he wasn't the only one. Victorinox had those limited runs of Alox numbering up to 50 quantity for a short time.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 12:14:42 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: September 01, 2016, 01:00:47 AM

"Could have"...
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #85 on: September 01, 2016, 01:57:52 AM
Regarding the business... it always annoyed me so much he got this special treatment.  How he did it is the big mystery and the only edge he had over anyone.  Did he save the life of an Elsener?  Who knows, but he really exploited that fact.  Imagine where I could have been back when I started if I was able to buy parts directly from Vic without having to take apart 1000 SAKS.

So ya Im glad they cut him off.  He knows so little about SAKs its sad.  He was just a middle man between manufacturer and customer.  i.e. a Victorinox Dealer.  Anyone with the 'connection' could have done the same, and been nicer about it too.  Listening to him talk he makes it seem like he IS victorinox.  He isnt and as far as I know does not work for them in any capacity.

At least he can fall back on his blacksmith skills and maybe get into the medieval fair scene.  :whistle:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 01:59:26 AM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: September 01, 2016, 04:08:24 AM
I am happy to hear you had no issues with the man. I however had a totally different experience on 2 separate occasions. Mind you, now that you have mentioned it, those could possibly be due to a language barrier.

With that said, he wasn't the only one. Victorinox had those limited runs of Alox numbering up to 50 quantity for a short time.

Well....I was just clarifying that Im not "trash talking" when I was asking why he has the Vic deal. But...hey maybe if I dealt with him it would've went sour. I dont doubt anyone. Ha how did I get wrapped up in this  :ahhh
-JJL

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #87 on: September 01, 2016, 05:17:03 AM
I been looking at the Alox Rambler for years, but never pull the trigger.
He is selling them $40 more than a standard Alox Classic, just for one extra phillies driver.
Way overpriced.  :td:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: September 01, 2016, 08:01:23 AM
Imagine where I could have been back when I started if I was able to buy parts directly from Vic without having to take apart 1000 SAKS.

Yeah, but can anyone (including SwissB) order SAK parts ie Compact hooks, pruning blades etc and get them? As far as I know, he was ordering entire, finished SAKs and not just components. The strange thing, I thought, was that while other vendors had special colour Farmers, Pioneers etc, he had a number of configurations that were his and his alone. (Who else ever - in living memory - sold Carvers?) So he certainly got special treatment for some reason, or he was one hell of a negotiator.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #89 on: September 01, 2016, 09:56:14 AM
That first sentence of Swissbianco's second paragraph, regarding supposed quality control issues, is really out of place in the context of the newsletter.
What does it have to do with anything? Notice how it's crammed between the announcement, and the thanking of MrElsener.

All other B+ practices that I don't really like aside, I think the same as shadowrider.

Language barriers and such?... Well, yeah, maybe, up to point, for some time. But... worst case is you can ask somebody else to write the newsletter for you. This newsletter shows quite good command of the English language, though, and I can't believe that anyone has something to say and cannot find the words. I'm trying to say that the meaning of words is more or less universal and the meaning conveyed here seems like someone is trying to take a quick, small jab at Vic. Petty, if you ask me.

I'd be interested to hear how he got those special runs made. Perhaps Vic saw a way to try new configurations? :shrug:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD