Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Latest lights leaving me cold

us Offline metasyntax

Latest lights leaving me cold
on: August 26, 2016, 11:13:34 PM
Lots of lights coming out now seem to be using dedomed emitters like the Cree XP-L HI or super deep reflectors which produce a tight hotspot for big throw (e.g. Nitecore's GT lights). This is relatively new technology, and the lumen race is still alive and well, so I understand why there are new flashlights coming out that go with this trend. Unfortunately, I have zero interest in lights that can throw 300 meters or more. Instead, I wish we'd see more tint options and different interfaces. If somebody made an inexpensive, 500 lumen max, infinitely variable flashlight with a neutral tint and high CRI like a Nichia 219B or 219C, I'd be all over that. My favorite light right now is a Preon 2 w/ Nichia 219B I got from Illumination Supply. It's a beautiful light, just a bit small for some uses. I'd like to see more pen light options, too; seems like most companies only have one or maybe two of these (generally a 1xAAA and a 2xAAA). Personally, I like to keep a 1x18650 in my bag with my pliers MT, and a 2xAAA in my pocket with a SAK, traditional, or not-large modern folder.

Anyway, enough rambling. I'm curious what you guys think. Do you think big name flashlight companies are coming out with appealing lights this year, or are they getting too overpowered?
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Re: Latest lights leaving me cold
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 12:32:11 AM
Can't say I find any of the current lights from Fenix, Nitecore etc that attractive.

Just don't see the point of some of the small lights being pushed to 1000 lumens. They can't handle the heat generation and have to step down after a couple of minutes. Just numbers for the marketing folk.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 12:40:56 AM
I had to go check, the last one I bought was the Thrunite T10S back in February last year. Considering I was buying flashlights like candy once, that speaks for something. Honestly, not a single one that I still regularly get emails about from GoingGear, Olight, Fenix, 47s, ... appeals to me. Nothing that makes me go: "Uuuu, I want that!"

I did buy a headlamp this month, Elspeleo Rescue, but that's a highly specialized one, and for a tidy sum, and I know that one will be with me for years to come.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 12:47:04 AM
18650 lights like the Fenix PD35 are insanely bright (1000 lumens), yet easily ride on your belt for EDC if you are into it.  Its not "new" per se, having been out for a while, but its killer.  Yeah, the turbo mode steps down after a while so it won't fry the emitter, but I can live with it.  So lights like that keep my interest up.  I agree that big throwers aren't generally that useful for most of us, but they are fun.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 12:08:07 PM
Hmm, I have a vague feeling that I bought a(nother) flashlight recently, not sure what it was, who from or how much it cost... Better go have a look at my PayPal account and hope the fright isn't too big.
Late night, moonshine and eBay are a bad combination  :facepalm:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 01:28:55 PM

Been there, done that. :drink:

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 01:34:17 PM

Been there, done that. :drink:

Haven't we all  :facepalm:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 08:41:13 AM
I do still buy the odd light, but I am waiting for a major improvement to happen, in performance/efficiency (I do have plenty to play with and so I can wait) I may still get something soon, but it will be more for a specific purpose, rather than because of any new technology.

After the XML LEDs there has not really been any major surge forward for what seems like 5 years - maybe there is no real need.
If anything, people seem to be happier with keychain lights of 40 to 100Lm.

XPL lights are now cheap and offer some advantages, but nothing that impressive.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%