Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who else hates having a nail file on a SAK?

it Offline shadowrider

Who else hates having a nail file on a SAK?
on: August 27, 2016, 10:49:27 AM
Maybe I'm crazy but I have this thing, that it really bothers me having a nail file/nail cleaner on a sak (unless it's a 58mm, and even there it still bugs me a bit).
It's the one thing that has kept me from buying a Mountaineer.
And with the knives I own that have it, I tell myself it's something else: the one on the back of the Compact hook is a match striker; the one on the metal saw is a second, finer metal file, while the tip of such metal saw is a general purpose pointy thing.

Should I start taking meds?  :P
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 11:08:05 AM by shadowrider »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Who else hates having a nail file on a SAK?
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 11:19:29 AM
Well if that's the only thing stopping you from ordering a Mountaineer, then there's nothing stopping you from ordering a Mountaineer. :P

The new, post 2005 Vic metal files are so aggressive that if you use them as a nail file, you'll probably need a band aid after that for your fingertips.  >:D

As for the rest, yup, probably meds .... but we probably all need them here anyway. After all, we're a forum that has its own resident psychiatrist :whistle:

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 11:24:50 AM
Should I start taking meds?  :P

Yes :)

Both sides of the metal file are good files, and both too aggressive to be considered a nail file IMO.  If they made a super-Mountaineer with 2 files, with different cuts on all 4 faces, I'd buy it :)

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 11:30:05 AM
Doesn't bother me at all. I would hate having to clean my nails with a wood saw.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 11:40:39 AM
Doesn't bother me at all. I would hate having to clean my nails with a wood saw.
PS I prefer a Classic over a Classic SD. Also, I like the Wengers that have a nail file where the Vics have a smaller blade. I really do use them, like when I'm visiting my mom.

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 11:48:04 AM

This man NEEDS his Meds ............ stat!
need meds.jpg
* need meds.jpg (Filesize: 56.41 KB)
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 11:52:01 AM

To late for that. Clearly a terminal case.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 12:44:45 PM
I like having a nail file. I cut down one of the wife's metal nail files and glued it to the back scale of my Vic Tinker. Very handy.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 12:57:21 PM
The new, post 2005 Vic metal files are so aggressive that if you use them as a nail file, you'll probably need a band aid after that for your fingertips.  >:D
Both sides of the metal file are good files, and both too aggressive to be considered a nail file IMO.

I love Vic's new metal file. But, given its uneasiness to be used as a nail file, I find the stupid nail cleaning tip even more out of place. It would be much better if the tool was shaped like a Wenger metal file, or like a Vic 111mm one, with the grind extending all the way to the tip.

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 01:08:52 PM

Lol! Is that DiCaprio's homeless brother?

us Offline BADSAK

Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 01:25:57 PM
I use the nail cleaner/file on my EDC Rambler just about ED. I think I would use the one on a Cadet just as often if I carried one. Not sure about the 91mm tool, I don't have one to try.

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 01:28:05 PM
Since when is having an actually quite capable tool considered a problem?  :think:

The newer file on the 91mm models is definitely a metal file, not a nail file... unless you have the 2 inches nails and you want to grind them completely down in few seconds   :shrug:

us Offline Sir_Blinky

Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 01:30:20 PM
Heck no, just the opposite. In fact, on most of the 3 layer and below models I'd prefer if they just replaced the secondary blade with a nail file instead to offer more utility. At least it's something I actually use frequently as opposed to what I consider somewhat ineffectual implements like the hook and the teeny tiny pliers, Now those are truly a waste of valuable tool space imo.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 01:30:26 PM
I'm sorry but I just like them a lot

Specially the one in the golf tool,

it is an excellent design and very efficient "deburrer" for nails
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 01:39:41 PM
I'm definitely the opposite, and it's all good  :cheers:

Most of my current projects involve nail files specifically because not enough factory models have them.

I use the nail file probably more than any other tool. (Only for a few seconds each time)

However I totally agree that the latest metal file is a horrible nail file (and great metal file). And its a little wierd that it has a nail cleaner tip...however, I've used that tip to pry apart small things (wedging it between them and twisting)

I do find that the older case hardened version of the metal file is quasi passable as a nail file. I've got a couple with that version and the finer side does work if you're careful. The one on my Compact's hook doesn't do much but at least it doesn't mangle. Just got an Executive in today and had low hopes for the nail file since its a crosshatch type pattern like the metal file, but the spacing and depth of the "lines" actually does work great on fingernails.

One of the things I don't like about the Mountaineer is that it doesn't have a nail file.  :) :pok: :tu:

I don't know that I need 2 metal file ..."grits" (coursenesses?) And I'd appreciate a tool with metal file on one side and nail file on the other (same "strength" as the Executive one).

But...not everyone even uses a nail file, traditional or on a SAK, so that's cool too.

I saw a chinese made cybertool knock off that had a swisscard style nailfile stored in the scale. This seems like a cool idea, if there was a plus-plus scales that had all the plus scales tools and the file slot as well. Then any 91mm knife could have one..or not! Plus you can get the small blade and still have the nail file.

I haven't explored all options but it seems like a swisscard nail file could be stowed under the IL phillips on models that have them.

I still have yet to experience a vintage LNF equipped SAK simple because they're out of my price range usually. But I hear they're the bestest.
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 02:06:03 PM
I don't mind files, from the 58mm nail file (preferably with the nail cleaner tip), to the amazing 91mm file.
Still, for the 91mm range for example, or the 85mm Wengers, I'd much rather have the in-line awl.
And on the 58mm models, come to think of it. I'd gladly give up the nail file for the awl on a Manager/Signature.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #16 on: August 27, 2016, 02:30:24 PM
I like having a nail file. I cut down one of the wife's metal nail files and glued it to the back scale of my Vic Tinker. Very handy.
Rich

No, you didn't. Unless you have some pic to prove it.  :pok:

I love the nail file. My nails brake easily and they get caught im fabrics, something very annoying. I work all day, so I have to have something whith me to fix them.
Also, the nail cleaner is a pointy thing whith which you can push something inside a crack without piercing it. You can engrave your love's name on soft wood. Or write on the sand. You can clean narrow things from dust and lint. You can scratch off paint and such. You can drive a small Philips screw, as the ones on electronics. You can cutout shapes, say from plasteline. You can clean your nails also.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 02:36:38 PM by kkokkolis »

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 02:42:33 PM
Rich
Been there. Somehow the result is a bit unsatisfying.
DSC01158-file1.jpg
* DSC01158-file1.jpg (Filesize: 149.15 KB)

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 02:53:33 PM
Hate the nail file? Pure SAKsphemy.  :D

Small, large, smooth or aggressive....one of my favorite tools found on my favorite models.

On your way to a big event, date, church, job interview and suddenly realize you have....

Dirty fingernails!!!!!!!   :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

No file? Use your blade (and think of that when you cut that juicy apple later) :dwts: 

;)  :D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 02:54:05 PM
PS I prefer a Classic over a Classic SD. Also, I like the Wengers that have a nail file where the Vics have a smaller blade. I really do use them, like when I'm visiting my mom.

Agreed, it much nicer to have the nail file "dedicated" to its task rather than being just ok at two things.

Since when is having an actually quite capable tool considered a problem?  :think:

The newer file on the 91mm models is definitely a metal file, not a nail file... unless you have the 2 inches nails and you want to grind them completely down in few seconds   :shrug:
At least on my older Wenger the file has a tendency to scratch the the blade, that might very well be enough reason for some. Not me though, I don't hate the file, I just prefer the the small blade and in theory the combo-tool (for that layer less) or the inline awl. I'm not to fond of redundancy though and it suits me better to have the file in a SwissCard.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #20 on: August 27, 2016, 03:08:33 PM
No file? Use your blade (and think of that when you cut that juicy apple later) :dwts: 

;)  :D
I'm keeping my food prep SAK separate from others.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #21 on: August 27, 2016, 03:18:02 PM
I love my nail files, the pre2005 91mm file is pretty good IMO.

Now if I could get my hands on an old backside Long Nail file :drool:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #22 on: August 27, 2016, 03:30:58 PM
I love my nail files, the pre2005 91mm file is pretty good IMO.

Now if I could get my hands on an old backside Long Nail file :drool:

+100!!!!! Forgot about those!!!  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #23 on: August 27, 2016, 04:49:15 PM
I always thought the tip on that metal saw looked more like it was for punching into drywall than cleaning nails.
But then, part of the fun of SAKs is finding new ways to use the various implements.  :climber:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #24 on: August 27, 2016, 04:53:57 PM
I'm fine with it, assuming the tool already has an openers layer or combi tool on it. But, on knives that don't, like the Junior 09, which has only a saw, blade, and backside Phillips plus the nail file, it's really a waste of space compared to the three function combi-tool that has an important function, opening cans and bottles.   That's part of the reason I plan to figure out how to combine a Super Tinker's backside Phillips/blade layer with a Lumberjack (sold today as the Walker).  I have a junk Wenger Golfer (no snap on anything, but good tools) with a good combi tool, so I might just figure out how to put that in the Junior, along with The Golfer's non blunted blade.

My favorite nailfile--the Executive's, which works great on soft metals too. I wish Vic would return to the cut, instead of stippled spark erosion nail files as standard on all models with it. And I also like the old three-quarter round Phillips with it too. .
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 05:37:05 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #25 on: August 27, 2016, 05:09:23 PM
When I need a nail file, I use a pair of nail clippers!  Th nail file on my Alox Cadet is a total waste of space. Why Victorinox ever stopped putting a small pen blade on the Cadet is a question I cannot answer, I carry a small Tinker more often than the more compact Cadet because it does have a small pen blade.
Perception is reality

us Offline Swiss Guy

Reply #26 on: August 27, 2016, 05:45:11 PM
I am going to add my voice to the chorus of liking the nail file. However, I don't necessarily need a dedicated nail file; the metal file works fine as long as I use it very lightly. I would carry the cadet in my pocket just for the nail file it has on it. Now I carry the Victorinox nail clippers (the metal fold-up ones) and those work well except the nail file is a bit ... dangly.  :think:
The right tool is the one you have on you

Offline paulie.4x

Reply #27 on: August 27, 2016, 06:43:17 PM
Say Heah Shadowrider,  I don't mind the nail file as much as the Corkscrew,  But then it was suggested that they used theirs to untangle Paracord,  I know the NailFile isn't that big,  But if it's a good one,  I can file a small micro roll until I get back home or to my base,  Same with all those Screwdriver,  So I made one into a Chisel/ Pry Bar (lifter). Now it works great,  But sometimes I wish I would of got the Corkscrew instead of the Phillips,  on my Victorinox Delemont Collection Ranger 78, The 79 comes with the Corkscrew.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

us Offline Diver

Reply #28 on: August 27, 2016, 08:02:38 PM
I thought the whole purpose for all the different models was so you could get the tools you wanted without too many tools you didn't want.  If you don't want a nail file then get a model without one or just don't use it.

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #29 on: August 27, 2016, 10:56:15 PM
The reason for my dislike is ideological, not practical.
To me a SAK is a portable toolbox. And I wouldn't put toiletries or personal care items in my toolbox.
That said, I think I'm soon going to pull the trigger on a Mountaineer anyway.  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%