Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Problem with main blade

pl Offline GreenFish

Problem with main blade
on: January 12, 2018, 02:15:01 PM
Hi guys,

I have recently bought 2 used Spartans in a nice condition for like 10 bucks. I have a problem with 1 knife. It's main blade seems a little bit loose. As you know if you open main blade at the very end it "pops in" into extended position. Like you push it into a certain position and it pops in automatically. In that case blade moves smoothly into its position and it needs to be pushed to the fully extended position. I can't feel and hear that popping sound.

Can service repair that? I doubt I can do it alone. Thanks
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 02:17:54 PM by GreenFish »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Problem with main blade
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 02:17:45 PM
Hi guys,

I have recently bought 2 used Spartans in a nice condition for like 10 bucks. I have a problem with 1 knife. It's main blade seems a little bit loose. As you know if you open main blade at the very end it "pops in" into extended position. In that case blade moves smoothly into its position and I can't feel and hear that popping sound.

Can service repair that? I doubt I can do it alone. Thanks
Hi GreenFish and welcome! It might be worth giving it a clean first - could be some lint or fluff is trapped against the spring - try taking an old toothbrush to it. Let us know if it's not that and we'll offer another solution.  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

pl Offline GreenFish

Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 02:19:46 PM
Hey magentus, I have cleaned the blade with warm soap water and also oiled it. Didn't help. I bought that SAK with intention to try renowate it and give it to a friend but obviously I can't with that kind of issue.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 02:21:19 PM
Hi!  :cheers:
Usually a soak in warm soapy water, then scrubbing the inside, drying it out, and oiling the bits where the moving parts rub fixes the problem.
Did you try that yet?  :tu:
Never mind, I see you did. Can you take any photos? Are any bits bent? How is the "pop" of the small blade and corkscrew?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 02:22:43 PM
By the way, did you try cleaning just the blade, or the entire swiss army knife? It likes being cleaned, no worries about rust or anything.

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 02:27:01 PM
Pabs is right - some pics would be good. It might be a problem with the spring - can you check to see if it's broken? If it is, then Victorinox's guarantee will cover it if you send it to your local dealer (Burton McCall).  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

pl Offline GreenFish

Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 02:47:02 PM
I think you are right. It's the spring problem. When moving the blade it barely lifts up. But it doesn't seem broken at first glance.
Here's photos + video: http://sendvid.com/nilkqq4x

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 02:49:15 PM
Certainly looks like a broken spring so far.
What can you see inside when you open all the tools out of the way?

All hail the hook!

pl Offline GreenFish

Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 02:53:16 PM
Here's the inside of SAK + I have the impression that corkscrew and small blade are little bit looser than on the other Spartan but they still pop.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 03:13:13 PM
I don't see any cracks, not even a small one.
Could you double check that? If the spring is not visibly cracked, then the other things causing the problem could be:

The corkscrew is worn out where it touches the spring,
And/or the bit of the spring that the corkscrew touches is worn out. It explains the symptoms and you won't be able to fix it, but in this case I'd expect the corkscrew to be floppy when you open and close it.

Or the spring has been deformed, pushed out too much by something. Which as far as I know could explain the symptoms, except that you would expect this to leave tool marks.

Or it has a quality control problem(like with the heat treat), which as far as I know explains the symptoms.

Or the pins are pinching liners on both sides of the blade too tight. If this is happening, then the can opener should not pop either.

Maybe someone else can come up with more explanations.  :think:

All hail the hook!

pl Offline GreenFish

Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 03:20:51 PM
I don't see any cracks, not even a small one.
Could you double check that? If the spring is not visibly cracked, then the other things causing the problem could be:

The corkscrew is worn out where it touches the spring,
And/or the bit of the spring that the corkscrew touches is worn out. It explains the symptoms and you won't be able to fix it, but in this case I'd expect the corkscrew to be floppy when you open and close it.

Or the spring has been deformed, pushed out too much by something. Which as far as I know could explain the symptoms, except that you would expect this to leave tool marks.

Or it has a quality control problem(like with the heat treat), which as far as I know explains the symptoms.

Or the pins are pinching liners on both sides of the blade too tight. If this is happening, then the can opener should not pop either.

Maybe someone else can come up with more explanations.  :think:

Thanks, in my opinion the spring is intact I have tried to find any differences between springs on 2 Spartans and couldn't find anything.

As for tools main blade is pretty scratched (although not deep) - I planned to polish that. As for can opener it pops but I have the feeling that almost all the tools pop with less force and less louder than on normally working SAK (especially the can opener).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 03:22:07 PM by GreenFish »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 04:45:23 PM
I know that you probably don't want to put more money into a $5 knife, but if you send it to Victoninox, they'll repair or replace it.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 05:21:31 PM
Sending it to victorinox is a good option.
I'm not sure what else you can do short of tearing the knife apart to try fix the problem.  :-\

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24