Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

KutMaster Multi-tools.

Chako · 25 · 2611

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
KutMaster Multi-tools.
on: August 29, 2016, 03:39:44 AM
I rescued a KutMaster MultiMaster from a local pawnshop for 9 bucks. The blades had some sort of gunk on them. With a little effort, I have the blades somewhat cleaned. After taking the photos, looks like i will also have to clean the interior of the tool. At the time, I figured I was buying a duplicate...however upon closer inspection, there are some differences from my other MultiMaster. Here are the photos of my 3 KutMaster tools.

Top to bottom: KutMaster Wrench-Head, KutMaster MultiMaster, and  the newest addition, another KutMaster MultiMaster.

Looking from the top, you can see there are some differences between the two MultiMasters. Now the MultiMaster is a very old design. It came out in the late 80s. I am thinking the newer addition is newer than my other MultiMaster with the logo engraved into the handle as opposed to the laser etching on the new find.

Looking from the bottom.

First up is the KutMaster Wrench-Head with the CAT logo.

Next is the older KutMaster MultiMaster.

And yesterday's find, which I think, is a newer MultiMaster.

And a bonus shot of both MultiMaster's 1/4" driver receptacle. Note that the newer addition is on the left, and the older on the right.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: KutMaster Multi-tools.
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 03:50:27 AM
Nice pics!  :tu:
What purpose does the handle cover on the bit driver handle serve?

I'm gonna get some sheaths, and they also sell these, so I thought I'd get one just for the smurf of it.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 03:57:29 AM
What are your feelings on the tool? I know the bit driver is very limited in reach, but it has always been an interesting tool to see.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 04:17:30 AM
On the Wrench-Head...that would be for bit storage.

Sazabi, I feel that KutMaster multi-tools from Utica Cutlery, are an interesting footnote in history. The fact that you can still buy a brand spanking new one today makes this one of the longest production run multi-tools out there. They are a bit crude but are tanks.

You know, upon closer inspection of my photos and those from KutMaster's web site, I am now thinking I bought myself a copy. Anyone have any ideas on if my newest addition is a real KutMaster? I am basing my notion that I have a fake on the obvious lack of quality, especially in the casting.

us Offline David

Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 05:05:43 AM
They are an interesting bit of MT history. I like the tool set on the Klein Tool model more as it has a big awl and wire strippers on the file. Then there is the one made for Browning. If I remeber the Browning has the same tool set as the Proto.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 02:23:10 AM
It might be a copy, or at least one of the Chinese-made versions; it looks quite a bit rougher in finish than the others, even given that it is used. :/

I want to say Knifecenter still has the US-made (supposedly) for about 2/3 of what you can find it anywhere else.  I did have a couple of their Chinese-made models, but don't really remember anything special about them.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 03:06:03 AM
Thanks Sazabi.  :salute:

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 04:31:52 AM
Oh, that doesn't mean I don't like the tool's looks, nor that it isn't a good piece for the collection; those tools aren't common, despite being a commonly copied design, if that makes sense. It is interesting nonetheless. :cheers:

Now for bed, I'm rambling.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 05:06:31 AM
There is a Husky knockoff set.  I have it.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline David

Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 06:42:54 AM
Bob has a very good info on the KutMaster MultiMaster and its different rebrands over at the Multitool Encyloedia . Includes info, basic time line and changes to look for to help identify offshore production.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 06:51:55 AM by David »
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 10:30:35 PM
On the Wrench-Head...that would be for bit storage.

Sazabi, I feel that KutMaster multi-tools from Utica Cutlery, are an interesting footnote in history. The fact that you can still buy a brand spanking new one today makes this one of the longest production run multi-tools out there. They are a bit crude but are tanks.

You know, upon closer inspection of my photos and those from KutMaster's web site, I am now thinking I bought myself a copy. Anyone have any ideas on if my newest addition is a real KutMaster? I am basing my notion that I have a fake on the obvious lack of quality, especially in the casting.

Great thread as usual, Chako!  :like: Yours are great late night reads for me since I joined... :D
I have one of those (or a copy, at least) and I have to agree, they are crude but really tough.

One of the few non big brand MTs I still keep and use, mainly for the 1/4 driver.
Better than the one in my Crunch IMO...

They are very rust prone, though, at least from my experience... :-\

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 06:01:59 AM
Got my Kutmaster Wrench-head today, and I love the driver. The pliers though? They're rubbish. The cutters don't work at all. I know it's not an expensive tool, but come on, cutters are an essential part of pliers. They're half the functionality. And for a tool obviously intended for gear heads and automotive use (spark plug gap tool as evidence), it should be able to cut the kind of wire you'll encounter on a vehicle. Damn things can't even cut zip ties. I have better cutters on cheap chinese tools. Sigh. I am disappoint.

Charles.
IMG_3997.jpg
* IMG_3997.jpg (Filesize: 337.47 KB)

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 06:13:59 AM
Got my Kutmaster Wrench-head today, and I love the driver. The pliers though? They're rubbish. The cutters don't work at all. I know it's not an expensive tool, but come on, cutters are an essential part of pliers. They're half the functionality. And for a tool obviously intended for gear heads and automotive use (spark plug gap tool as evidence), it should be able to cut the kind of wire you'll encounter on a vehicle. Damn things can't even cut zip ties. I have better cutters on cheap chinese tools. Sigh. I am disappoint.

Charles.

To be honest, to find a cutter that can cut copper stranded wire is not an easy task. There's usually some work that needs to be done at the cutter side. It's even a hit or miss with good brands. To have a cheap off brand tool that can do that is really asking for too much imo.

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 08:08:44 AM
Well, I'm testing and reviewing many of the chinese knockoff Toolclip copies, and a good half of them will cut copper wire with no problems. I don't think it's that hard to get right, and I definitely don't think it's too much to ask that a wire cutter be able to cut wires. If this was marketed as a handyman tool or a home renovation tool then yeah, sure, don't expect it to cut anything except Romex. But it's not. It's aimed at auto enthusiasts, gear heads, and people who like to work in the garage. And that means it needs to cut stranded copper wire.

I don't understand why so many people don't expect their tools to do what they're supposed to do and work like they're supposed to work. Are you all just collecting them and not using them? I'm using my tools, and for that reason I need them to actually WORK.

Charles.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 10:09:43 AM
The knock off manufacturers certainly doesnt care I believe. Their QC are probably just visual, if it looks like a tool, it will pass the test. Not all manufacturers but most I believe, if they even have a QC dept. Sadly, that's the impression that these tools have on people. Of course they are decent or even good ones but they are rare. Honestly, I am pleasantly surprised by your test that half of them are good. Those are gold, keep them well. Most of us do use our tools, there are just go-tos tools for different task. Cutting hard or solid core wire, most cutters works , even cheap ones. If I know I need to cut copper stranded, a cheap knock off will be the last thing I will grab.

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 11:06:25 PM
Okay, I sent an email to Kutmaster complaining that the Wrench Head doesn't... you know... kut any wires. With a name like Kutmaster, I argued, it should be able to cut things. Got a response back saying that was a special run and no longer produced, and that he would send me a USA-made Multimaster free of charge. And made it clear that it was a $69.99 value. (lol, they're $28 on eBay).  I received the Multimaster today, in a plain white box with a sheath and a selection of bits... with one bit missing from the holder. First off, it appears to be a used unit. There is some gunk in the teeth of the jaws, some wear from the pivoting jaw against the side plates, and some more gunk attached to the magnet in the bitdriver. My Wrench Head was brand new and had no gunk anywhere. The tool is also recently oiled and sharpened. The pivot screw is shiny plated steel, and of a different type than the normal flat-topped phillips. There's wear on the handle and around the nail nicks above the Multimaster logo. The big deal is that the tool is BENT. The bit driver was obviously torqued more than the tool could handle, and there is a bend in it. The top handle doesn't sit square with the rest of the tool body.

Unfortunately, the Multimaster's cutters are even worse than the Wrench Head's.  The Wrench Head I was actually able to save. I took a small file and very lightly attacked the cutter until it was able to cut wires. Not everything, not always in one cut, but they did work passably. The Multimaster has different jaws, and the cutters are machined differently. The Wrench Head there is very little surface available to file before the cutter would become useless due to no longer overlapping. With the Multimaster there's plenty of cutter overlap... the problem is there is just a lot more play in the jaws. Not even play, really.. If I push the top jaw and bottom jaw sideways apart from each other (bottom jaw left, top jaw right), the frame of the tool flexes. I think this flexing is what's causing the cutters to be so bad. I tried filing an edge onto the Multimaster cutters, and they still can't cut anything.

First photo shows the bend. Second photo shows scratches above the "E" in "Multimaster", and on the handle above the "ST". Last pic shows the jaws, the wear (shiny spot surrounded by oil residue), and the non-standard pivot screw.

Charles.
IMG_4115.jpg
* IMG_4115.jpg (Filesize: 157.04 KB)
IMG_4117.jpg
* IMG_4117.jpg (Filesize: 168.16 KB)
IMG_4118.jpg
* IMG_4118.jpg (Filesize: 141.9 KB)

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 11:24:13 PM
Update: I sent the guy photos of the bent tool, and he gave me a WTF :) He's sending me a replacement right away. So that's nice. Also, looking at packaging for the multimaster, it apparently comes with 5 bits and a 6-bit holder, so I wasn't missing a bit.

I don't know whether there are quality control issues with Kutmaster or what's going on really. I do know that they're bending over backwards to make me happy, and that's worth a lot in my book.

Charles.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 11:25:14 PM by ChopperCharles »

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 29, 2018, 05:18:38 PM
Hey, I just found a "Mountain Quest" branded version of the Multimaster on eBay. It's not my thing, but if you need it for your collection, the link is here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mountain-Quest-Multi-Tool-w-Bits-and-Sheath-Pre-Owned/113102975834

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 29, 2018, 03:13:22 AM
Today I picked up a new version of this tool, the "Winchester Torquemaster".

This tool is a bit of a hybrid between the Multimaster and the Wrench Head. First off, it has all the tools of the Multimaster. The tool channel is wider than the wrench head. It has the same standard nut cutouts in the handle, and the same T-handle bitdriver configuration as the Wrench Head. BUT... look at the rivets on the tool. It has a two-piece jaw like the Multimaster!  This is a stronger, more robust jaw design, which also opens larger. The wire cutters, like all of the cutters on these tools, are abysmally bad. There is almost no overlap, less than 1mm. For side cutters to work, there needs to be overlap, and this is just poorly implemented.

The tools are also a mixed bag. The blade is smaller and shorter than the one in the Wrench Head. It's also not very sharp, where the Wrench Head was sharp enough to cut receipt paper. The file is good, it can file mild steel without damage. The Wrench Head shows wear quickly when filing steel. BUT, the Wrench head's file doubles as a gasket scraper. So it's arguably more useful. The saw is a stand out tool, making short work of a small oak branch. It's only got one layer of teeth, but it still does a most excellent job.

So, a mixed bag here. I'm really looking for one of these T-handle tools with two-piece jaws and good cutters, but I don't think I'm ever going to find that. :/

Charles.
winchester.jpg
* winchester.jpg (Filesize: 179 KB)

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #19 on: July 29, 2018, 06:49:04 AM
Interesting tool there, Charles! :like:

I do like the double-rivet jaw on it, but everything else screams China Kutmaster variant.  :ahhh

Did you ever receive the replacement U.S.A MultiMaster that wasn't used/bent?

I just ordered an older MultiMaster, with the brand/model actually stamped into the handle, instead of silkscreen ink. Can't wait to compare it to my newer MMs. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 29, 2018, 07:40:17 AM
No and the guy stopped responding to my emails.  Ah well.

It is made in China, but apart from the cutters not working its a great tool. I’ve given up on cutters that work on these tools. They didn’t work on that bent up multimaster either. Coast got wire cutters right with their 2 piece pliers, but the wrench head and variants has a t handle bit driver which is absolutely amazing.

So what I’m doing is sliding an ES4 into the little pouch for the sockets in the wrench head sheath. That will handle any wire cutting and stripping duties that the kutmaster can’t handle.

Also, for my uses I’ve removed the serrated blade from the Winchester tool and added the feeler gauge and awl from the wrench head. Actually I also swapped in the main blade and combo file/gasket scraper from the wrench head too. The scraper is useful to me, even though the Winchester has a better file.

Because the Winchester is wider, I was able to remove the very thick serrated blade and swap in the very thin feeler gauge and medium width awl just by leaving out a couple washers. So I have one extra tool in my modded Winchester.

I’ve stuck a flashlight in the case, an extra row of Allen bits, and the ES4. It now lives under the seat of my motorcycle along with a set of spare brake and clutch levers, a cable lock, and a bungee net.

Charles.

Charles. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 07:41:43 AM by ChopperCharles »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: July 29, 2018, 09:47:29 AM
I tried the cutters on both of my MMs. I started with bamboo skewers and made 20 cuts on each tool. Then checked the cutters with 18-2 stranded wire. The BN version cut the wire before the skewer cuts, but had trouble afterwards. A little tightening of the pivot screw solved the problem and it now cuts fine. The NN version cut the wire before and after the skewer cuts, without tightening the pivot.

The bent handles may cause the cutters to not bypass properly. I would try emailing the guy everyday until he resonds. He promised a functioning tool and shoudl deliver. IMO of course.

As far as the Winchester. Glad you found a setup that works for you! The ES4 is fantastic. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: July 29, 2018, 08:42:07 PM
Interesting tool :tu: and cool that they sent you a new one from the company :like: to bad that the QC isn't there though :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: July 29, 2018, 09:00:54 PM
I think Charles may have received a factory second MultiMaster. :-\

Marks on plier head from movement and a bent handle. Sounds like a classic factory second. :ahhh

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 21, 2018, 10:17:39 PM
Bringing up this thread again. Has anyone else seen the Garrity hammer tool? It appears to have a full tool load and door that matches the Kutmaster Multimaster. There are several of these on eBay right now around the $20 mark.

Charles.

s-l1600 (3).jpg
* s-l1600 (3).jpg (Filesize: 75.26 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31