Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dropbox ending win XP support

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Dropbox ending win XP support
on: August 31, 2016, 10:13:02 AM
I got the email the other day saying dropbox were ending support for win XP, which is a bit of a pain considering my pc at work is old and runs on win xp and I use dropbox all the time.

Well it threw an error this morning and closed and now tells me dropbox is not supported on win xp  :cry:

I hope the computers we were supposed to get 6 months ago turn up soon. Dropbox was the last one working. Work blocked google drive and amazon's version of it some time ago. They allowed dropbox as the company uses it for all sorts itself. But now dropbox themselves have got us.

Arse  :rant:

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Re: Dropbox ending win XP support
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 10:33:13 AM
Yeah... Dropbox just deleted 50 GB for me too...

It just made me go out and buy a Google Drive subscription...

You can use the browser-based version for Google Drive (I doubt they blocked that).

PS: Switch to Win7... Even my ancient Celeron runs faster and smoother on Win 7 than on Win XP... plus it's far more secure (a ransomeware raped my Celeron laptop - good thing it was an old work I had borrowed...)
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 11:23:09 AM
I use google drive for personal stuff and google photo's for photo backup, but have always used dropbox at work for work stuff.

I wonder if I can access the browser version of dropbox. I'll have to give that a try.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 01:19:37 PM
There really is no reason you can't use the browser version AFAIK, since they only really ended the client support on XP.

It is a bit of a PITA, but you can pretty much drag and drop IIRC. That being said, no problems on linux yet ;)
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 01:29:01 PM
I moved away from dropbox a while ago when I got my office 365 subscription, onedrive works for me as Microsoft are producing very good apps for other platforms (probably better than their own).
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 01:29:16 PM
Have you tried using mega.nz? It should also have a sync app for desktop and I doubt they'd block that, it's not that known like the other mentioned ones.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 01:45:05 PM
There really is no reason you can't use the browser version AFAIK, since they only really ended the client support on XP.

The browser version works just fine  :tu:

That'll keep me going until I get my new(er) computer, with win8.1 on it :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%