Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Round 2: Talk to me about the Cybertool

cz Offline z1913

Re: Round 2: Talk to me about the Cybertool
Reply #30 on: January 14, 2024, 08:37:40 PM
as long as the underlying  SAK body is not too bulky

I very much agree with the bulkiness statement. I am more on the minimalist SAK side (my usual carry is single layer 84 + some 58), but I find the cybertool 34 very manageable in the hand - it feels like a tool you can control and properly use - unlike a Swisschamp or similar which feels too large.

But I do not have a regular use for the CT34 so I carry it only in my bag - just to be prepared. And from this perspective I am sorry I did not get CT41 - to be fully prepared (as for bag carry there is no difference between CT34 a 41 to me and for the very occasional use the CT41 bulkiness does not matter too much).

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: January 16, 2024, 12:08:39 PM
Hi Mac,

I consider your adapter solution quite ingenious :hatsoff: Alas, I tried it out but found that at least with the two adapters I possess, the can opener does not slip in deep enough. It just falls off as soon as I take my hand away. Did you encounter the same problem and if so, do you have a solution?

Of course it's "wobbly" and it fits loosely and it will fall if you are not holding the adapter, but the main point for me is: it gets the job done in a pinch, which is all i'm interested in. I'm not going to use this as a regular SD, for jobs i'd use a real SD for if available or if it was a "job related" use.

I thought on modding the adapter to hold the bottle opener in better without falling, but didn't get around to it yet. It's not terribly important anyway...

Someone at Reddit's Vic sub found a great solution for that:
https://www.reddit.com/r/victorinox/comments/19407u0/my_handyman_is_perfect_now_black_plus_scales_and/

I'll give it a try when i have some time.
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #32 on: January 17, 2024, 12:25:02 AM
I've had the Cybertool M for a few days now and I've already had the chance to use the bit driver a couple of times. Once was to repair the snow shovel I bought before we got all this snow and ice...

I have to say that I'm very impressed with it - it's every bit as good as any stand-alone screwdriver that uses bits that I've ever used. The bit driver isn't centered on the Cybertool M but it's close enough that it doesn't impact the use of the tool in any real way. The bits don't really wobble or move much during use either.

It's definitely taking up more room in my pocket than my Deluxe Tinker or Explorer but I've been carrying it around the house in my front jeans pocket since I received it on Friday. It's not as heavy in the pocket as it looks like it would be - it rides vertically in my pocket and is kept in that position by being right next to my wallet.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #33 on: January 17, 2024, 12:28:50 AM
 :like:

Having it ride next to the wallet is a good idea. I have the problem with SAKs, especially the larger ones, going horizontal in my front pocket which is less comfortable.  I usually have my wallet in my back pocket but I’ll give that a try and see how it does.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

Offline MrToolJunkie

Reply #34 on: January 17, 2024, 05:31:26 AM
I use magnets in a Wera bit adapter. Holds super securely and retains the 1/4 inch bits well.

I also added magnets to one of my CT wrenches. Now I can use any micro bit and it retains fine. I can also use a socket adapter for 1/4 inch bits or even an adapter for sockets. Really happy with it. YMMV. The standard bits are durable. You are just limited to what Vic sells if you stick to the ball bearing design.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: January 17, 2024, 10:21:17 AM
Of course it's "wobbly" and it fits loosely and it will fall if you are not holding the adapter, but the main point for me is: it gets the job done in a pinch

Well said  :iagree:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: January 17, 2024, 10:48:03 AM
I use magnets in a Wera bit adapter. Holds super securely and retains the 1/4 inch bits well.

I also added magnets to one of my CT wrenches. Now I can use any micro bit and it retains fine. I can also use a socket adapter for 1/4 inch bits or even an adapter for sockets. Really happy with it. YMMV. The standard bits are durable. You are just limited to what Vic sells if you stick to the ball bearing design.
I personally don't use this setup because I have little need for screwdrivers in my EDC, but if you were so inclined, there is a certain Victorinox sheath with a little side pocket. The CT34 just fits in it, together with an adapter (from micro bits to normal bits) in the side pocket. Add to this a small bit set and you get yourself a very competent screwdriver set.

Cheers,

Simon

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: January 17, 2024, 01:26:18 PM
Chapman uses 1/4 drive bits with ball bearings.  Don't know if you can buy singles, or not.  Sets come with a handle, extension, miniratchet, bits, and case.  This set is rather old.  The bits do have a strange knurled end on them.  Might not work in a really shallow socket.  Best wishes.  G

PXL_20240117_121721477.MP.jpg
* PXL_20240117_121721477.MP.jpg (Filesize: 94.93 KB)
  ;)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: January 17, 2024, 08:16:15 PM
The bits do have a strange knurled end on them.
To facilitate turning by hand, if the screw isn’t too tight, perhaps?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #39 on: January 17, 2024, 08:20:14 PM
To facilitate turning by hand, if the screw isn’t too tight, perhaps?

Yes, that’s what they advertise it as.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline DavZell

Reply #40 on: January 18, 2024, 10:15:38 PM
You mentioned kids toys and batteries.  Everyone spoke up about 91/93mm models because you mentioned the CyberTool.

What about replacing your 58mm Classic instead?  There are several models with Vic's excellent philips combo tool.  The Manager, Rally, Rambler, MiniChamp, and Vagabond all have it.  The MiniChamp, which is the largest and has several tools that are of questionable utility, is available in Alox and in that form really isn't that big.  The Vagabond is similar, drops the more esoteric tools, but is discontinued and wasn't Alox.

https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=MiniChamp

I carry a MiniChamp in Alox.  I really like the driver, "emergency" blade (wharncliffe), and orange peeler (aka cut and picker) which I use as a scraper/digger/opener.  I sharpened the end of the cuticle pusher last week so it's like a shallow u-gouge in carving to see if I use it.  A Vagabond in Alox would be ideal.  Of course, if you want the pen, toothpick,  and tweezer, stick with the red MiniChamp.
My Mods: 58mm Workshop, 91mm Picnicker, CyberCompact
Some Fav's: long nail file models, vintage unusual stainless
Quirk: I like the metal file more than the wood saw

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #41 on: January 19, 2024, 02:51:54 AM
The 58mm Phillips is excellent on kids' toys battery compartments. It's a big reason that there is always a Rambler in the 5th pocket of my jeans.

The only thing I'll say against the Cybertool M is this - It's right on the edge of having too many tools attached to each other. What do I mean? Well, sometimes it's really handy to have a pair of pliers in one hand and a screw/nut driver in the other hand. You can't do that with the Cybertool because they are attached to each other!

That is one benefit that my Deluxe Tinker + Rambler combo had.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: January 19, 2024, 11:34:54 PM

The only thing I'll say against the Cybertool M is this - It's right on the edge of having too many tools attached to each other. What do I mean? Well, sometimes it's really handy to have a pair of pliers in one hand and a screw/nut driver in the other hand.

Easy fix: just combine the CT M with a CT S ;) And you will have a redundant large blade to boot  :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%