Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Trangia Mini

ca Offline jcs0001

Trangia Mini
on: October 10, 2016, 06:10:16 PM
Being very happy with our larger trangia alcohol stove set we recently purchased a trangia mini for friends.  It is a simple stove that includes the regular size trangia burner, simmer ring, an aluminium 0.8 litre pot and a small coated frying pan/lid.  It also includes a stand into which the burner fits and a pot grabber.  We also supplied some UCO waterproof matches for emergency fire starting.

The stand is also the support for the pot as shown in the photos.  It does give some wind protection however I have read in reviews that it is not sufficient if there is much of a breeze.

In addition to the stove I built a wind screen with some aluminium flashing and set it up with two stainless rods that go through it to hold the pot about 1 in. above the top of the burner. 

So far our friends have used the set up to boil water for tea and fry an egg.  They made a thick layer out of crushed aluminium foil to act as a reflector and protect the surface under the burner.  They have used the burner and stand along with the aluminium flashing wind screen together and it seems to work although I doubt that the burner height is optimal with the thick aluminium foil underneath.  Also I wonder if the stove is getting enough air with the two screens/stands in place.

I have suggested that they experiment with it and get familiar with it at home before planning to use it "in the great wilds".  They will likely carry it in their vehicle as an emergency kit.

I am quite impressed with this setup although it is heavy by back packing standards.  For day hikes or bikes it would be quite decent although I would be inclined to use my lighter home build setup to reduce the weight carried.

John.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Trangia Mini
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 06:34:01 PM
That stove is quite a little cooker.  I watched several videos done by Hiram on the Trangia.  He does a great job. worth looking at IMO. 
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrHiramCook/videos
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 02:14:28 AM
Megan has a lot of experience with her Mini Trangia and she says the following:

It is only the fuel that is heavy, the stove itself is not that bad.

It is a bit dangerous as the alcohol flames may not be visible in the wind or bright conditions, and so it may still be burning after you think it is out.

She made the mistake of not using the top diffuser while in the back woods because her pan wasn't getting hot enough.  Then the bacon filled pan ignited in a nasty grease fire, which could have been very bad for her, her friend and the surrounding forest.  Apparently it happened quite fast.  She feels it is the stupidest thing she's ever done, and suggests that no one ever uses the stove with out the top diffuser in place.

Out of all of the stoves we have, that one is by far her favorite.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 11:19:52 AM
The only problems I've had with my mini Trangia are wind (which you've fixed quite nicely) and not being able to light it in cold weather.  A jet lighter and keeping the meths/alcohol warm in your sleeping bag can help here.  The little non-stick frying pan is great for fried eggs.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 11:52:26 PM
I had no idea there was a "mini" version of the Trangia. I just thought there was a Trangia. Does this refer to the system as a whole? Normal and mini version use the same burner?

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 12:20:00 AM
I had no idea there was a "mini" version of the Trangia. I just thought there was a Trangia. Does this refer to the system as a whole? Normal and mini version use the same burner?

There are a few versions of stoves from Trangia in different sizes: the Mini and the 27 and 25 series. In general parts are interchangeable. I have a lone 1l pot as well as a burner over from switching to gas so maybe I should put something like this together, for most occasions the smaller kit should be more than enough.  :think:

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 05:21:17 PM
TazzieRob  - yes the burners and simmer ring are the same on the "mini" as on my bigger "25".  As far as I know the only set that has a different (bigger) burner is the military mess kit version.

I haven't used the mini but I suspect it will get things hot fast as the fry pan and pot are smaller than those on the larger kits but the burner is the same.  I will have to try out my 25 and see how well it works cooking an egg or two and also making some pancakes.  So far most of what I have used it for is boiling water.

John.

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 03:14:45 PM
The only problems I've had with my mini Trangia are wind (which you've fixed quite nicely) and not being able to light it in cold weather.  A jet lighter and keeping the meths/alcohol warm in your sleeping bag can help here.  The little non-stick frying pan is great for fried eggs.

My solution to the cold-start problem is to keep a bit of candle in my trangia, to warm the bottom of the burner with.  Only takes a few seconds and works a treat.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 02:03:37 PM
Good idea. :tu:

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 01:28:06 AM
Shibafu

The candle is a great idea.