Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

repairing a needle nose vice grip

ca Offline jcs0001

repairing a needle nose vice grip
on: August 31, 2016, 11:53:58 PM
If this does not belong here please feel free to remove, move etc.  I figured this might help someone else out.

I was recently at our flea market and bought a small needle nosed vice grip.  They were well used but very inexpensive and I bought them as users, not to collect.

Photos taken after repair - sorry I didn't take before photos.

They were made by Petersen Mfg. Co. and as I understand this was the original manufacturer.

I noticed that the upper jaw had been bent upwards so that the tips of the jaws no longer met.  Having little to lose I decided to repair them. 

I figured that bending them back cold would likely result in breaking the tip so used heat (a small Bernzomatic butane torch) to heat the tip of the upper jaw to glowing red hot.  I held the main part of the vice grips securely in my mechanic's vice and then used another vice grips to bend the tip back in place.  It took a couple of tries but worked in the end.  I didn't bother to try to restore the heat treating but did plunge the tips in water shortly after the last bending effort. 

It seems that the steel is still strong and little effected by my repair.  I won't abuse them so they will likely work well past my need for them.

John.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Re: repairing a needle nose vice grip
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 03:33:07 AM
Nice work!
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: repairing a needle nose vice grip
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 05:33:13 AM
Great repair and thanks for sharing with us :cheers: You can tell they are older just by the look of it :dd: Nice set of locking pliers :like: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%