Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Brass rod stock

JJ · 16 · 3966

Offline JJ

• New User
Brass rod stock
on: October 18, 2014, 10:12:11 PM
Hi guys, wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the mod section, but if I'm wrong I'm sure one of the moderators will adjust accordingly.
This is probably of more use to guys in the UK, but I'm sure others might be interested.
Just ordered some 2.2mm stock last night from a Mr. Jeremy Lewis at http://www.modelbrass.co.uk (more accurately from his Fleabay listing) and we got into a discussion about my use of the rod,  2.2mm being a somewhat less used diameter.
It would appear that Mr. Lewis has serviced members of this forum with his shiny rod on previous occasions, so it seemed fitting to mention that the actual diameter for the original Victorinox centre pins is 2.25mm.
Long story short, Mr. Lewis said that he's going to get in touch with his supplier in the hopes of appropriating some 2.25mm stock.
Hopefully this is of interest to some of you chaps and I shall keep you abreast of the situation as it progresses.
Almost forgot to mention; fantastic, personal service from Jeremy and my pin stock should be here come Monday morn.
JJ.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Brass rod stock
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 10:17:01 PM

It would appear that Mr. Lewis has serviced members of this forum with his shiny rod on previous occasions,
[/b]

:facepalm:

:D
Was that statement accidental?
or maybe I have a filthy mind  :)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Offline jrp316

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 11:08:50 PM
The extra .05mm is negligible, and would be taken up when peening takes place.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 11:14:43 PM
Ya I wouldnt bother with trying to get exactly 2.25 mm.  You will not notice any difference in practice.

The 2.2 is used for the backtools which have a 2.5mm hole in them anyhow so they fit loose.  The other 2.2 pin doenst hold any tools just the springs from sliding out so it makes no difference at all. 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 11:36:08 PM
Go for 2.25 ... after all is a matter of Swiss precision  >:D

ru Offline decustomforge

• the Creator: gears, tools, custom scales.
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 11:55:12 AM
Good afternoon everyone! Plz speak me the thickness of the rod in the series Alox 93 mm, as 2.5 mm or 3 mm? ???
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 12:06:48 PM by dvstigneev »

au Offline archerwin

Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 12:43:51 PM
from Syph007's post:

93mm (alox)
- middle pin 2.5 mm
- 2 pins 3.0 mm

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 01:16:43 PM
Ya I wouldnt bother with trying to get exactly 2.25 mm.  You will not notice any difference in practice.

The 2.2 is used for the backtools which have a 2.5mm hole in them anyhow so they fit loose.  The other 2.2 pin doenst hold any tools just the springs from sliding out so it makes no difference at all. 

So what Syph is saying is, size doesn't matter, it's what you do with it that counts  ;)

us Offline sambeaux

Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 03:40:01 PM
I don't mean to hijack, but I thought this question might interest the original poster. Can the brass pins be reused? If I wanted to start with a used Champion and remove a few layers, can I use the original pins and just cut them to length and re-peen them? Thanks.

Sam

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 03:41:33 PM
I don't mean to hijack, but I thought this question might interest the original poster. Can the brass pins be reused? If I wanted to start with a used Champion and remove a few layers, can I use the original pins and just cut them to length and re-peen them? Thanks.

Sam

Yes absolutely!  When I buy climbers and remove the scissors layer.  I reuse the original pins to reassemble them as spartans.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 05:17:34 PM

It would appear that Mr. Lewis has serviced members of this forum with his shiny rod on previous occasions,
[/b]

:facepalm:

:D
Was that statement accidental?
or maybe I have a filthy mind  :)

+1...

Stop reading right there...

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline sambeaux

Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 05:48:59 PM
AWESOME!! Thank you! :)

Sam

Yes absolutely!  When I buy climbers and remove the scissors layer.  I reuse the original pins to reassemble them as spartans.

ru Offline decustomforge

Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 05:15:50 PM
from Syph007's post:

93mm (alox)
- middle pin 2.5 mm
- 2 pins 3.0 mm

Thank you very!

ru Offline decustomforge

Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 05:19:46 PM
Do you think if riveting rod so it will be reliable? And do I need to glue a wooden plate with epoxy glue?
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 23.38 KB)

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 07:07:38 PM
This is probably of more use to guys in the UK, but I'm sure others might be interested.
Just ordered some 2.2mm stock last night from a Mr. Jeremy Lewis at http://www.modelbrass.co.uk (more accurately from his Fleabay listing) and we got into a discussion about my use of the rod,  2.2mm being a somewhat less used diameter.

Quick thread resurrection to say I just ordered same from Jeremy as well, eBay ID motionquality (online shop seems to have closed).  Super speedy despatch of good quality looking rod very nicely packaged.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #15 on: September 03, 2016, 08:31:10 PM

Quick thread resurrection to say I just ordered same from Jeremy as well, eBay ID motionquality (online shop seems to have closed).  Super speedy despatch of good quality looking rod very nicely packaged.

Ya he mentioned awhile back that he wasn't keeping the website up but that you could still email him for orders.  I can't seem to find his email though.  Can someone else who has it post it again as its very hard to track down the 2.2 mm stock.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85