Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

When did walking sticks become "Trekking Poles?"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
When did walking sticks become "Trekking Poles?"
on: September 07, 2016, 03:35:05 PM
Given my mobility issues and desire to keep doing things I have been looking into these devices that used to be called "walking sticks" so that I wouldn't have to bring my cane on excursions.  I really smurfing hate using a cane, but I recognize that it is necessary at times.

So, I started looking up walking sticks and found that only canes appear to be referred to as walking sticks, and the thinks I was looking for are now called "trekking poles" and they are high tech, with shock absorption systems, multiple tips for various terrains, and often have extra stuff like flashlights, selfie sticks and compasses installed into them, either in the rubberized cork handles or aluminum shafts....  ::)

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should look for?  I was looking for one, but apparently I'm only cool if I use them as a pair nowadays.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: When did walking sticks become "Trekking Poles?"
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 04:06:18 PM
What about foraging for a nice hardwood staff?  You can customize it with leather wrap, burn designs, or leave natural. 

I use a single trekking pole mostly for descents.  Its an REI Hiker antishock which has internal springs to absorb shock.  It can be turned off when ascending which is nice.   
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 06:38:59 PM
I dont have any leg problems, so I just cut my self a wooden staff in the woods if the terrain in treacherous.
In my experience a good staff a little longer than your self can be very supportive. It gives you a long reach when going down hill or need to test the terrain in front of you. Its also very comfortable to put the weight off one leg while leaning on it, holding it with both hands.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 08:57:51 PM
I hear ya about the cane boss. :( I've accepted using mine when needed, and it's become a regular part of me. :)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 09:18:44 PM
I'm sold on the concept after the Fish River hike........two instead of one.....

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 11:45:07 PM
I would prefer something more traditional, like the farmer's "fourka" or the shepherd's "glitsa". I will buy one next time (sold everywhere in mountain towns and villages here) and carve my love's name on it (too) with my Opi.

But a hi tech aluminium or carbon stick would be lighter for you.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 11:56:26 PM
I picked up a nice handmade hardwood staff about 4 years ago.  It stands about chest height on me with an OLD brass doorknob fastened to the top and finished with a piece of 3/4" copper pipe for a foot.  Some custom maker in Montana sells them at the Huckleberry festival every year.  I've found it more than adequate on all my hikes, but then again I don't have any mobility issues so ymmv. 

I've noticed that Trekking pole seems to be the new buzz term for these things, all mass produced and overpriced.  Can't say I didn't want to get one, but the $20 price tag of my handmade staff was irresistible. 

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 05:44:24 PM
I came across something similar to this a while ago.

Anyway, if you want a you-beaut alloy shock absorber pole, I'm sure there are many places (online and shopfront) that will sell them to you.

Personally I use a timber walking stick - I've made a few from decent bits of wood, but you can also find them for sale here and there by local crafters- generally not well advertised or online.

I just spent 20 minutes trying to find the place I bought my last one online (not that it would have helped you) and I couldn't - I'm guessing the cost of shipping a big stick anywhere far outweighs the value of most sticks....

england Offline Kev D

Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 07:42:14 PM
I have 4 of the cold steel walking sticks, the dragon one is my favourite. They are polypropylene and really tough

https://www.coldsteel.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Walking+stick

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 07:49:00 PM
This may look cool, for Grant

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

england Offline Kev D

Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 07:54:29 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

I've actually got one of those. A basket full of wet washing is to heavy for me to carry to hang out on the line so  one of those does the carrying for me.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 11:21:28 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Megan already told me I'm not allowed to get one of those.  Too bad as I can really see the utility in it!

Just imagine how much cool stuff you could EDC!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 11:47:38 PM
I have a pair but never used them. Might take them with me on the next trip though just to slam around in front of me on rocks and such as I encountered a total of 6 very poisonous snakes on my last two trips, 5 babies and a 1 meter long one. :ahhh

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 11:51:31 PM
I have poles with all of the various attachments for my snowshoes- I might give one of those a try and see how well it holds up.  If it seems like it might be useful I may invest in a cheapo walking stick.  I am hoping to get out for a bit of a hike this weekend- it won't be a "hike" by anyone else's standards, but for someone with more screws in his anatomy than in many compact cars it should be enough of a challenge!

Def

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 11:14:47 AM
I got myself a wooden stick made from slow growing spruce. When I cut it down it was around 2 meters and had a diameter of around 5 cm but I was able to count over 50 years worth of rings.

The spruce is a fairly light wood but when it had grown this slow it also becomes very strong and it has been used for log driving on rivers where your life might very well depend on it holding.

So far I've only attached a stainless ring foot to it but I'm considering a leather handgrip and some whittling on it.
20160909_104249-2064x1161.jpg
* 20160909_104249-2064x1161.jpg (Filesize: 139.57 KB)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 11:37:15 AM
Traditionals are always classier.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 11:47:05 AM by kkokkolis »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 11:22:46 PM
I used one of the poles that came with my snowshoes on a hike today and I have to say I am an instant convert to the wonderful world of hiking poles.  I wish I'd brought both.

Def

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 11:50:09 PM
Being a lifelong hiker and never having used poles I always regarded them as a bit fuddy duddy.
However in the UK poles started getting very popular I'd say about 20++ years ago and I fell in with the trend.
I usually have them with me now, especially on long (all day) hikes

They are very very good asset for anybody going on a walk - even if you are young and completely able bodied.
I read somewhere that they take 30% strain off your knees and ankles and are good for your back too.

And you should always take two - to even up your balance and pressure on both sides.

Walking in the Alps you will rarely see anyone without poles.

I have not looked into this for ages - But Leki poles were definitely the best at the time - But not cheap
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 01:08:30 AM by Huntsman »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: September 10, 2016, 12:03:35 AM
I think they're known at trekking poles due to their similarly to ski poles.  I've been using them for a few years now and they've been a boon to my poor knees, especially on downhills.  On a one day hike with a light pack I manage ok but for multi day trips with a heavier pack I simply wouldn't leave home without them.  Mine were the cheapest I could find at the time that had four sections for ease of transport when heading over to France.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: September 10, 2016, 12:08:15 AM
Oh and learn to use the wrist loops properly, they take a lot of the strain of gripping the poles all day.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #20 on: September 10, 2016, 12:23:36 AM
I made a couple of walking sticks/poles/staffs on my trip to NZ earlier this year.

Had to leave them both behind because Quarantine Services would have a Blue Fit if I tried to bring them back into Australia.

The Wizard's staff I left stuck in the ground at a touristy destination for a laugh, but the walking pole, which was about shoulder height, I had written the names of all the places we went and left it in the common room at the last motor camp we stayed in with a note asking for someone to keep it travelling and then pass it on again when they were finished with it.

I really hope this has happened and now I wish I had started a Facebook page for it so people could post pictures if its journey.
staff.jpg
* staff.jpg (Filesize: 123.18 KB)
youshalnotpass.jpg
* youshalnotpass.jpg (Filesize: 132.66 KB)
stick.jpg
* stick.jpg (Filesize: 157.01 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 12:39:43 AM
Love the wizard's staff.  Very appropriate for NZ as well. :D

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #22 on: September 10, 2016, 12:51:36 AM
I see Trekking Poles as being used as a pair in your normal walking action. (I have also heard that Leki is a good brand)
I think of Walking Sticks as being shorter, often with a curved top (cane).

I used to have poles but they broke. I only used to use one at a time, mainly for balance in tricky areas or to take some weight off my knees going downhill.
I now use a stick (staff?) I cut from a dead branch, which is very thin, light and strong.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 01:16:14 AM by Syncop8r »

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: September 10, 2016, 02:47:54 AM
One factor in the name change might be the target audience. When they were at their most popular here they tried to sell them for their ability to train upper body while you walk, a dubious claim since there's not much work involved in their use during a normal walk in the park.
The users ended up being the elderly who realised that it helped to use them while walking but they were rarely willing to pay extra for features or materials. And they made anyone under 65 using them look ridiculous. After the rebranding it looks like they're cool again.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #24 on: September 10, 2016, 08:28:21 AM
This is a book about treking Poles:

* 9781845296445.jpg (Filesize: 36.27 KB)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #25 on: September 10, 2016, 01:14:39 PM
We had adverse weather with floods a couple of days ago in Peloponesse, 4 people dead and 1 missing. I saw the SAR teams using trekking poles for moving on difficult terrain. They  use the poles to move flora or items on the ground while searching. They also provide an extension for grasp. And emergency defense against snakes, scorpiins or angry stray dogs and wild animals. Longer poles serve better for those tasks.
I have one in the garage, a medium weatherd pole I found in the snow during a winter excursion. Somebody dropped it or lost it. Now I became curious and I might put it in the car (it's fixed, not telescopic) anf if I find it useful I'll buy a good one later.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #26 on: September 10, 2016, 01:19:19 PM
As I found out today, if you see cobwebs ahead, hold out your walking stick pole WHATEVER in front of you with about a foot above your hand.

Stops them getting in your face.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 02:15:09 PM by Syncop8r »

us Offline Joe58

Reply #27 on: September 10, 2016, 02:04:37 PM
My father was a firm believer in using a walking stick. He fashioned his own from diamond willow. I was abke to hang into his stash after he passed on. Nice momentos that I think I'm getting closer and closer to needing myself. :)

I've always though the genuine Irish Blackthorn ones looked pretty cool. And each one is unique. I think those were the inspiration behind the Cold Steel versions IIRC.

image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 45.27 KB)
🇨🇭

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: September 10, 2016, 03:15:17 PM
This is a book about treking Poles:

I see what you did there. :D

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #29 on: September 10, 2016, 04:11:40 PM
 :think: Ah I do too now   ;)  Thanks Gareth  :tu:
It's all in the capitals

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00