Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

When did walking sticks become "Trekking Poles?"

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: When did walking sticks become "Trekking Poles?"
Reply #30 on: September 10, 2016, 04:20:15 PM
This is a book about treking Poles:

:rofl:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #31 on: September 10, 2016, 05:21:52 PM
Man, you guys are making me want to go buy some trekking poles now...

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #32 on: September 10, 2016, 05:37:03 PM
I may need a walking stick soon, due to my bad knees...

I've been looking at the Cold Steel ones for that, you know, for double duty :)
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: September 11, 2016, 04:45:37 PM
Before I got my trekking pole I would always find a suitable tree branch to aid in my hikes.  The collapsable ones shrink down nicely and can be easily attached to a pack ( bungee cords ).   
Esse Quam Videri

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #34 on: September 11, 2016, 06:54:08 PM
I had been looking into these collapsible high-tech sticks for some time, but then a simple Manuka-Stick accompanied me on some nice hikes in NZ.

When I had to return home I simply couldn't leave it behind, so I checked in the bulky luggage and carried it through Bangkok for a week. Back home I noticed that the lower, thinner part of the stick had bent slightly... too slightly for my taste. Since I love hikes with partial climbing, I made a decision, cut away the lower part, replaced it with a piece of hazelnut from home, gave it a good screw connection from this guy  http://www.gramlich-jagdstoecke.de/ and went into my smithy to forge an apting spike. About my height, on the whole a bit shorter and more slender than a Bavarian Mountain-Stick should be, but nice for me.

Spent a lot of time with the light little fellow, and even the bumblebees like it (picture from this tour http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,37820.msg1343305.html#att284976.

Tomcat
St2.jpg
* St2.jpg (Filesize: 146.62 KB)
St3.jpg
* St3.jpg (Filesize: 207.98 KB)
St4.jpg
* St4.jpg (Filesize: 236.83 KB)
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

Reply #35 on: September 11, 2016, 07:12:54 PM
...  stick-loving bumblebee mentioned above...
St5.jpg
* St5.jpg (Filesize: 154.46 KB)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 07:22:47 PM by Tomcat_81 »

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #36 on: September 12, 2016, 11:00:46 AM
When we were planning our vacation to Austria in 2014, I told a colleague of mine about the "knee problem" my wife has, and he told me to get walking sticks, so I did some research and we bought a piar of Leki Ultra Speedlock Corklite trekking poles.  And right after our vacation I went back to the store and got myself a second pair, since my wife had to share her trekking poles with my two boys the entire vacation.  If you're having some kind of physical problem, be it ankle, knee, back pain, a pair of trekking poles can really make a difference.

We got the ones with the speedlock adjustment, on the other ones you have to turn the lock loose, change the length of the pole and tighten them by turning the lock again, but the speedlock uses the same technique as seen on, for example, the wheels of a mountainbike.  And you'd be surprised how often you have to change the length of the poles, ascending, descending, walking parallel on a slope (I hope this makes sense ...  :think:).

Here are some random pics taken during our trip to Switzerland (the year after we went to Austria):

My oldest son descending from Mount Titlis:

My youngest son during the same descent:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #37 on: September 12, 2016, 11:45:01 AM
My old ones were the screw type. I'm not a fan.

One broke when I put too much weight on it. That's cheap for ya:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: September 12, 2016, 12:18:44 PM
I had been looking into these collapsible high-tech sticks for some time, but then a simple Manuka-Stick accompanied me on some nice hikes in NZ.

When I had to return home I simply couldn't leave it behind, so I checked in the bulky luggage and carried it through Bangkok for a week. Back home I noticed that the lower, thinner part of the stick had bent slightly... too slightly for my taste. Since I love hikes with partial climbing, I made a decision, cut away the lower part, replaced it with a piece of hazelnut from home, gave it a good screw connection from this guy  http://www.gramlich-jagdstoecke.de/ and went into my smithy to forge an apting spike. About my height, on the whole a bit shorter and more slender than a Bavarian Mountain-Stick should be, but nice for me.

Spent a lot of time with the light little fellow, and even the bumblebees like it (picture from this tour http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,37820.msg1343305.html#att284976.

Tomcat

That looks fantastic Tomcat. :salute:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: October 28, 2016, 06:16:17 AM
I refuse to carry one of those infernal aluminum things. I'll carry a staff I made for hiking, and a shorter walking stick for urban use. Wood is natural! The staff is hornbeam, and the walking stick is Irish blackthorn with an oil finish.

Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #40 on: October 28, 2016, 12:27:58 PM
Trekking poles are great! Years ago, I bought myself one with a cork handle, and then a couple of years later, I was bought a matched pair as a Christmas or birthday gift. If you don't need to walk with a stick normally, they are superb for occasional usage.

It's ultra convenient to be able to reduce the size and fasten to your pack when you're on flatter areas, extend to correct height when you need a little extra support/stability, and extend beyond correct height for traversing or descents. I have the added benefit that my hiking pole serves as a tent pole in my ultralight tent.

I understand why people say use a pair, but I would say that's only relevant for a certain type of hiking. If you have big miles to cover with minimal stops, and you're the head down and get stuck in type of hiker, then I would agree. If you take a more relaxed approach to the hike, and don't need to power through the miles, one is perfectly fine. I've done both types of hike, and selected my hiking sticks accordingly.

Aside from this, I have a Fulton walking umbrella, and two "canes", only one of which is the right height - the other was intentionally too short, and is a prop from my acting days. The walking umbrella is great, if you don't actually need a walking stick - because if you do, and you use it as an umbrella, voila - no more walking stick! However, I think I need to investigate this option futher..... http://www.eden-mobility.co.uk/umbrella-walking-stick ..... as it looks like you have the benefit of both.

At the moment though, my stick use is mainly just a heavy duty traditional crooked handle cane due to medical reasons. However, I don't see me using that across boggy fields, fording streams, or on scree descents  ;) If my health allows me to start enjoying the prettier routes again, I may just leave this at home and take my cork handled trekking pole again.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #41 on: October 28, 2016, 02:13:04 PM
Well I have decided that since these things seem to be available pretty much everywhere that I am just going to use the ones that came with my snowshoes for now, and if I use them enough to wear them out then that will be enough justification to buy more.  There doesn't seem to be any difference whatsoever between the ones I have already and the ones I was looking at, and I see no reason to buy something else that I may or may not use that much when I already have some.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: October 28, 2016, 02:20:15 PM
............gave it a good screw connection from this guy  http://www.gramlich-jagdstoecke.de/ and went into my smithy to forge an apting spike......................

And we have a winning idea  :salute:

I have a machinist friend that could make the connector(s), that would solve just about all my "trekking pole" issues.  8)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: October 28, 2016, 09:11:43 PM
After all that spiel I gave earlier, I now have another walking stick. I've been over to my parent's this afternoon, and my mother had a few spares that haven't been shortened for her yet. She told me to help myself, and I picked out what looks to me like an ash stick with maple(?) Derby handle, which was already the perfect height for me. Free stuff is always good  :D I'll try to get a pic or two tomorrow

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: October 28, 2016, 10:03:34 PM
I always liked the looks of the Derby style handles.  Which of the Fulton umbrellas do you rate the most?  IIRC you had quite the collection at one time and I've had my eye on the Huntsman.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: October 28, 2016, 10:47:13 PM
I always liked the looks of the Derby style handles.  Which of the Fulton umbrellas do you rate the most?  IIRC you had quite the collection at one time and I've had my eye on the Huntsman.

The Huntsman is the one I have. I believe you had a good look at that one at one of the meets. The handle retaining pin came loose after a while, but a blob of superglue sorted that, and I've had no problems since. I had one of the smaller open and close umbrellas, but it can be quite temperamental, and close of it's own accord. Not helpful  ::) The third one I got is another good one, the Magnum. It opens about as large as the Huntsman, and is a good strong folding brolly. A good choice for the boot of the car or maybe a large bag - it's certainly not a compact brolly. I think the Magnum and Huntsman are both excellent value for money, and I'm surprised how affordable they are considering the UK manufacture.

Today has been the first time I've tried a Derby handle. Certainly an improvement when wearing gloves which might slip on a traditional crook handle. However..... when walking back from my parents this evening (7.5 miles) the Trad showed it's strength over the Derby. Both work well on standard terrain, and as mentioned, the Derby is better with certain gloves. The Trad excels on hills though, and rotating your grip slightly on the Trad reorientates the stick to assist in "pushing" up the hill, or bracing you in the decline. The Derby doesn't have this, with the natural orientation being more perpendicular, and compensating with how you present the stick to the ground can be more uncomfortable, and a bigger neck strain (a big downside for me). I think I'll be sticking to the trad for the longer walks, and maybe using the Derby when I don't expect undulating terrain

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: October 29, 2016, 04:33:08 PM
Here's pics of the freebie I got yesterday, alongside the one I already had. My mum picked I up from a second hand shop at a seaside town. It's had a few knocks and scrapes, and will need a new ferrule soon, but it does the job.
IMG_20161029_150238_edit_344_800.jpg
* IMG_20161029_150238_edit_344_800.jpg (Filesize: 29.7 KB)
IMG_20161029_150523_800_600.jpg
* IMG_20161029_150523_800_600.jpg (Filesize: 36.42 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: October 29, 2016, 10:00:17 PM
Nice looking stick.

We went to the museum today and I wish I'd had either of them with me!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: October 29, 2016, 10:07:34 PM
Yup, like the look of that Al. :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: October 29, 2016, 10:58:59 PM
Cheers fellers  :salute:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #50 on: October 30, 2016, 06:51:43 PM
Nice pics guys, I'm probably going to need a cane or a walking stick sometime, since I got my knees smurfed up while moving to my current apartment :(

I have good days and then I have really bad days when I basicly get my knees buckle under me, or the semi ok days when they are so stiff I feel like walking on stilts.

So MTO friends, gimme some advice, which kind of stick would be good for me?
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: October 30, 2016, 07:51:31 PM
1) If you need it for support, ensure it's up to the job. Some dress canes for example, say they are for light support or words to that effect - in other words they are an accessory for show, rather than a working item.

2) Make sure it's the right height - ideally around your wrist or fractionally higher when stood upright. Some sources say to the top of your hipbone, which is what my mother has been doing, and which has caused significant shoulder problems for her. Note: You may need to cut it to the right length - if so, remember to factor in the ferrule thickness. If using hiking poles or a wizard staff type stick, the grip height should be around your elbow, so your forearms are roughly horizontal.

3) If possible, try before you buy. See if it flexes if you lean on it, or if it feels heavy enough to be tiring after a while.

4) Fewer pieces in the construction, means there's less joints to fail on you.

5) As mentioned above, I find a Derby handle to be better on fairly level ground, or wearing gloves that don't have much traction. I find a crook handle to be more versatile/comfortable on hills. Trekking poles are the obvious choice when off paved areas, but even with the little add-on ferrules you can get, can get annoying very quickly on paving and tarmac in my experience (jarring the elbow, noisy, and less traction than a cane type).

6) Pick one that just feels right. We're back to try before you buy. A walking stick should fit your hand, just like shoes should fit your feet. If it doesn't feel right when you lean on it and walk with it, put it back.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #52 on: October 30, 2016, 08:02:16 PM
I think I need to get one, with my bad back and all the walking I do, I'll tell you the one that's had my attn, I like the wood ones and this ones freaking cool, unbreakable, I'd cut it to size, wrap som paracord around it, put a rubber end on, and I think it would make an awesome go everywhere stick!
JR
http://www.budk.com/6-Foot-Wax-Wood-Self-Defense-Staff-7745
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: October 30, 2016, 09:04:29 PM
The Derby and Crook handled sticks are good for hanging over your arm, or from a tree branch or whatever, when you need two hands. I think a staff would be less convenient for everyday use.

Reply #54 on: October 30, 2016, 09:14:10 PM
Nice pics guys, I'm probably going to need a cane or a walking stick sometime, since I got my knees smurfed up while moving to my current apartment :(

I have good days and then I have really bad days when I basicly get my knees buckle under me, or the semi ok days when they are so stiff I feel like walking on stilts.

So MTO friends, gimme some advice, which kind of stick would be good for me?

Long story cut short-
Couple of years ago got out of my car at work; icy day, slipped while I got out, full weight sideways on left knee, heard rip/croak noise, short blackout, knee wouldn't take any weight. We were a very small crew back then, so I hobbled with gritted teeth for the next 10 hours. Thank god, Friday, so I rested for the next two days. Monday was ok, tried to save my knee as much as possible, hobbled on for the next three months (a.m. was always fine, p.m. lousy) since several colleagues were permanently ill. Got to the doctor quite late, some damage to sinnews and cartilage, one muscle paralyzed. Took about two years to be quite ok, but my knee just isn't like it was. So- if you haven't done so already-
GO AND SEE A GOOD DOCTOR!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 09:16:30 PM by Tomcat_81 »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: October 30, 2016, 09:26:25 PM
I have to agree with the above.  A checkup from a legitimate doctor beats all the medical advice that can be offered by plier people on the internet, including some of the members we have here that are MD's, not because they aren't good at what they do, but because they aren't actually able to look and run tests in person.  Always seek proper medical advice in cases of injury like this.  Many problems you just assume will go away (or may seem to have gone away shortly after) can and will come back to haunt you later in life.  Take it from a guy who lives with pain in broken ankles, broken knee, lopsided hips, carpal tunnel and a hyper-extended elbow every day.

That having been said, also talk to a proper person who has been trained in orthopaedics to help you properly size a cane for you.  I did some reading online prior to getting mine, tested it in the store, sized it myself (the instruction card with the cane agreed with what I'd read online and I sized it and tried it in the store- I have an old person adjustable model :P) only to have the woman behind the counter tell me it needed to be several inches shorter.  I did what she said, figuring she worked there and did this for a living, then when I saw the doctor a few days later he told me it was several inches too short and moved it back to where I'd had it originally.  As I said, talk to someone who knows what they are talking about. 

As for a staff, I can see it as a walking stick for hiking in the woods, but I don't think it is something I would want to count on for day to day support everywhere I go.  There is a reason the crook top on a cane is there.

Def

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: October 30, 2016, 09:44:16 PM
Grant, how was your cane sized? Mine are cut to 35", which puts them just above the wrist. Originally the one I bought was slightly longer (36" + ferrule) and I kept catching the floor with it on the forward swing, and it put a greater strain on my neck if I had to lean on it

I've just put one of my mother's adjustable's down two notches and told her to try that for a week or so. She's at least 6" shorter than me, and the canes were set how I use them, and she has been hunching her shoulder right up in order to use it, which has no doubt added to her neck pain. I asked her why the stick was set so high, and she said some doc or physio had told her to use it that way  ::)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #57 on: October 30, 2016, 10:36:35 PM
It was pretty simple- I just stood there with the cane on the ground and the handle about even with my wrist.  I don't think it is that exact a science that you need super specific measurements, as the way you walk, what shoes you are wearing etc all play a role as well.

Thanks to that silly cashier I was leaning very hard to the left, which I thought might be important to keep my weight off my recovering leg.... but apparently not.

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #58 on: October 31, 2016, 06:46:29 AM
you can see that MTO has grown/matured with all the talk about walking sticks lately.....  :)

I see a discussion on what pills (for medical reasons) everybody takes coming up soon., followed by a "they do not make them like they used to" thread (wait, we have one of those....)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: October 31, 2016, 10:53:30 AM
 :D

If we get to the stage of having a "show your incontinence pants" thread, we're in trouble  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

:dwts:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44